White Seat Discoloration & Cleaning

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

zztops

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I've had my Model 3 for about 3 weeks now and have loved driving it, but today I saw an issue with my rear passenger side seat where there is a significant discoloration. IDK how I've never noticed it before, but I'm guess because it is much easier to see in a lower light setting. Shining direct light at it kind of masks it. My question I guess is what should I do?

Also, I'd be interested to know if there are any drains for the car running down this area? I hope its not water marking from a bad drain or something.

Or maybe something the seat heater has done.

Just trying to figure out if it has always been there, or if it is something that another defective/ improper part could have done. Don't wanna go through the hassle of replacement only to have it misdiagnosed and re-occur.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

zztops

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Soooooooo update. Took the car in to get the head lamps and a rear tail light replaced for discoloration on the interior lenses due to condensation build up and streaking. Got the seat looked at and they agreed to order a replacement.

BUT during the time the car was in the shop, they managed to break my rear windshield by dropping a torque wrench on it.... I’m not happy. Why is there a torque wrench hangin over that area of the car anyways?!

They replaced it, but it was sublet and idk if it was done with factory glass and I’m REALLY worried about fit and finish issues. Also they said there wasn’t any paint damage, but if a torque wrench is dropped at an elevation enough to break the glass, I’m sure it rolled off and made some sort of contact with the paint. I’m gonna inspect that thing like a hawk... when I get back home from out of town.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Soooooooo update. Took the car in to get the head lamps and a rear tail light replaced for discoloration on the interior lenses due to condensation build up and streaking. Got the seat looked at and they agreed to order a replacement.

BUT during the time the car was in the shop, they managed to break my rear windshield by dropping a torque wrench on it.... I’m not happy. Why is there a torque wrench hangin over that area of the car anyways?!

They replaced it, but it was sublet and idk if it was done with factory glass and I’m REALLY worried about fit and finish issues. Also they said there wasn’t any paint damage, but if a torque wrench is dropped at an elevation enough to break the glass, I’m sure it rolled off and made some sort of contact with the paint. I’m gonna inspect that thing like a hawk... when I get back home from out of town.

Holy crap!!! :(
Best of luck and sorry to hear this... keep us posted.

zztops

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
More updates. The SC has started to try and procure me the rear windshield with red tint. I guess thats all I can ask for. Their effort is all that I really care about at this point and it means a lot to me.

They did communicate that the new glass still has IR protection even though it doesn’t have the red tint.

So other than no longer getting the seamless color transition from mid to rear, there is not performance difference.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

FYI when it comes to glass almost all of it is sublet. Body shops and repair facilities don't usually deal with glass replacement. What I am guessing happened is Tesla ordered and supplied the glass to a company that knows how to swap glass and they did the glass swap. That is what happened to my roof. I also know at body shops when they repair cars they usually have a glass shop on retainer that comes by and does all their glass repairs on a certain day or every day. This is extremely normal.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have some transfer on mine as well. It's a fact of life, I've just decided to try and not wear dark blue jeans much

zztops

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Went to go pick up my car today since it was “done.” Well it wasn’t haha seat was still on order, and they agreed it wasn’t just color transfer, but the glass, head lamps and tail lights were done. Took a look, glass was installed raised higher than the other glass so evident gaps. Look inside the car, the headliner is hanging with wiring visible and crunched where the dome lights are. Also had random clips just hanging around in the back seat.

Back into the shop it went. New headliner to be ordered, seats still on order, new red tinted glass is still being investigated, but has been escalated to corporate.

The official “sublet” company they chose to have the work done is AP Glass in Sacramento, CA. Virtually no reviews on the company and the only cars they have reviews for are older junkers. Don’t know why they would sublet to them, but who knows? I just requested the next glass be installed by someone else. I suggest people in the northern Sacramento area do the same if they need glass repair at the SC.

The service supervisor was nice enough to give me a loaner till everything on the car was completed though. Model X 90D not from enterprise. Guess I can say I’ve driven all the models now to make myself feel better haha

zztops

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just got word back from my SC that there is absolutely no way to get the red tinted IR glass at the moment. As others have communicated, they changed vendors a while ago and are no longer producing that style of glass for the rear window. Any newer car with that style of glass ( like mine) probably solely has it because they were trying to use up remaining stock. Bummer... but hey what can you do? Must move forward. Still love the car, even though I still don’t have it due to it sitting in the shop waiting on a new headliner, rear seat, and new glass to be delivered

The Rocklin SC, though made an easily avoidable mistake... twice, is doing what they can to make it right and get my baby back home. They are sending it to a body shop that works on all of their body work just so the glass and headliner are aligned flawlessly. Can’t speak to how much that will be better for electrical wiring running in the headliner, but I believe it’s only one harness. So just clips and a connection on both ends. Can’t be too hard (hoping to be correct). They’ve kept themselves accountable for the most part.

I’m sharing this info mainly as a story for ppl who might find themselves in this position. I’ve learned:

-Better is the enemy of good. Somethings you should just live with. It’s a hard decision to make, and one only you can make, but every time something is touched, there is a chance that something else will be inadvertently affected

- These service centers are still new to model 3’s. And are SWAMPED.

- life happens... but keep people accountable.

Will let you know when DeeDee is back home and how everything turns out (no current ETA). Thank you all for your feedback.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
When wearing newer jeans having a white towel handy to sit on might help.
Not ideal but might save some grief. Having some baby wipes in the car for regular cleaning would also help.
Seems like there should be some kind of spray or wipe on protectant that would work.

zztops

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got DeeDee back last night! They made it right. Of course no red tinted rear window, but I am happy they were able to get my car back to me! Noticed a small dime sized indent on the door panel trim (they’re very easy to scratch or dent), but didn’t really say anything keeping the mentality of “better is the enemy of good.” I was just happy to get my baby back.

ChrisHa

Country
Country
I almost wish we never had to bring these cars to service. I’ve heard too many stories about them breaking glass or scratching or denting the paint. How can they be so careless?

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've used a few products on my seats...

Somehow got some black tar transfer on the white (internal screaming). Used windex automotive to get most of it off, then used a magic eraser (abrasive, I don't recommend it unless absolutely necessary) - it worked like a charm. I then used some (I think) mothers brand interior leather cleaner/protectant to add a new layer of barrier. The windex and magic eraser solution worked for blue jean transfer also.