White Interior, Fish Bowls and Window Tint

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Took delivery on our Model 3 today and really loving it. Now it’s time to tend to the one thing I knew would bother me - how see-through the windows are with the white seats. Talk about living in a glass house.... or a fish bowl....

I definitely want to tint the side windows for a little more privacy. I don’t think I care so much about heat rejection or the roof/back, it’s all about wanting a little obscuring of the view of me and my passengers. But I don’t want a heavily tinted look either. I’m on the fence between 30% and 40%.

Is there anyone out there who did 40% and regretted it because it wasn’t enough? Has anyone done just the sides? Clearly there’s a lot of personal taste involved in the whole window tinting aspect, but I am particularly curious what others with white interiors have felt and done?

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got 35 front, 20 rear and 35 for rear window. My tinter wanted to do 20 all the way around. My front windows don't seem dark enough when viewed from the outside.

Last edited:

beastmode13

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took delivery on our Model 3 today and really loving it. Now it’s time to tend to the one thing I knew would bother me - how see-through the windows are with the white seats. Talk about living in a glass house.... or a fish bowl....

I definitely want to tint the side windows for a little more privacy. I don’t think I care so much about heat rejection or the roof/back, it’s all about wanting a little obscuring of the view of me and my passengers. But I don’t want a heavily tinted look either. I’m on the fence between 30% and 40%.

Is there anyone out there who did 40% and regretted it because it wasn’t enough? Has anyone done just the sides? Clearly there’s a lot of personal taste involved in the whole window tinting aspect, but I am particularly curious what others with white interiors have felt and done?
I have 40% 3M Crystaline on all windows, front windshield at 70%. Should have gone with 20% on all except front windshield. The white interior reflects a lot of light which makes the interior more visible from the outside, even with 40%.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's a great looking car. Probably the only thing I would do more is chrome delete.
Thanks! Honestly I like the chrome. And I’m not even 50! If I deleted, it would be gloss anthracite. Like the old BMW shadowline trim before they switched to gloss black.

Taney71

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! Honestly I like the chrome. And I’m not even 50! If I deleted, it would be gloss anthracite. Like the old BMW shadowline trim before they switched to gloss black.
That would be different for a Model 3 which I like.

I have a black Model 3 and want to do a chrome delete but don't want to go with black but I can't think of anything else yet.

hydrofied714

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you want privacy, I would go with at most 30% tint and not any higher. I did 35% Llumar Ceramic on my white interior Model 3 and really wish I went with 30%.

Here's a pic of my car with 35% on the sides/rear and 70% on the windshield.

tesla-jpeg.22445

Dash

Country
Country
I have a question for the white seat owners. When you sit in the rear seats at night, looking up to the sky through the glass roof, is there a strong reflection of the white seats, hindering the view?
Is there a reflection of the white stripe in the windshield?

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a question for the white seat owners. When you sit in the rear seats at night, looking up to the sky through the glass roof, is there a strong reflection of the white seats, hindering the view?
Can't respond to the first part of your post as I've never ridden in the back seat of my car, at night or otherwise. I would hazard a guess no, as the Model 3 does not have much in the way of interior ambient lighting.

For the first part, 100% no. There is no reflection from the dash strip ever, at any time of day or night.

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a reflection on the windshield from the forward vent area above the dash. The white strip only reflect directly into both side mirrors... Maybe it's the lack of a dark tint, since I went with 50% 3M Crystalline all around and 70% on the windshield.

20180910_140525-jpg.22859

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm in MD which as 35% limit. All but my last cars were done in 30%. As I got older that was too dark for my tastes as I don't want to feel like I'm wearing sunglasses at night, especially when looking through the side windows. My last car was done at 35%, which still went into illegal territory because of the factory 1-3% natural tinting. This was much better for my vision but it was done all for looks and car definitely looked "tinted". On the Model 3, I decided not to tint. However, the whole fish bowl look with white interior have me wanting tint again. I'd love to see a pic with 40%. Maybe 40% would look like an untinted Model 3 with black interior?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can't respond to the first part of your post as I've never ridden in the back seat of my car, at night or otherwise. I would hazard a guess no, as the Model 3 does not have much in the way of interior ambient lighting.

For the first part, 100% no. There is no reflection from the dash strip ever, at any time of day or night.
But white stripe is reflecting in side (driver) side window on sunny day...

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'm in MD which as 35% limit. All but my last cars were done in 30%. As I got older that was too dark for my tastes as I don't want to feel like I'm wearing sunglasses at night, especially when looking through the side windows. My last car was done at 35%, which still went into illegal territory because of the factory 1-3% natural tinting. This was much better for my vision but it was done all for looks and car definitely looked "tinted". On the Model 3, I decided not to tint. However, the whole fish bowl look with white interior have me wanting tint again. I'd love to see a pic with 40%. Maybe 40% would look like an untinted Model 3 with black interior?
My tint meter measured the factory tinting on the windows at 79% (picture attached). I then had them tinted (just the side windows) and they now measure at 45%. They essentially look untinted. Attaching a picture that I think is fairly representative of how it looks, although it does vary in different lighting. If I were to do it again, I think I’d go for 35%. I occasionally think I’m going to do that, but as I absolutely like the look of the white seats, it’s growing on me to maybe let it stay like this.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My tint meter measured the factory tinting on the windows at 79% (picture attached). I then had them tinted (just the side windows) and they now measure at 45%. They essentially look untinted. Attaching a picture that I think is fairly representative of how it looks, although it does vary in different lighting. If I were to do it again, I think I’d go for 35%. I occasionally think I’m going to do that, but as I absolutely like the look of the white seats, it’s growing on me to maybe let it stay like this.
View attachment 29153 View attachment 29154
What VLT percent tint did you get and is that what the second pic is?

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But white stripe is reflecting in side (driver) side window on sunny day...
Yes, quite badly. I may end up covering it with the carbon fiber wrap. :( But the answer was in response to a question regarding windshield reflections, not side windows.

Interesting that the poster above mentioned that he has the reflection in the side windows even with 50% tint.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
What VLT percent tint did you get and is that what the second pic is?
It was 50%, which I had understood when combined with the 79% factory tint would result in an effective 40%. But it is 45% based on my measurement. And yes, the picture of the car is after it was tinted. Nothing was done to the windshield. And looking in the side windows looks very similar to looking in the windshield. Absolutely no way that I will ever be stopped because of my window tint (70% is the official limit in PA for passenger cars.)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country