White Interior Availability

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update 4/8/18: Elon has responded to a tweet mentioning that the white interior will come about as they hit 5k/week production, estimated to be around July. Similar timing as the dual motor version.

I will be abandoning the white interior as I don't want to wait that long.

Has anyone heard about any updates regarding the availability of the white interior option? It was initially supposed to be introduced in fall '17, but I assume that's going to be pushed about three months, like everything else. Spring '18, perhaps?

Other questions:
  • White interior available without luxury package?
  • What does white interior include? I've seen photos with the center console in white and some in black (attached below).
  • Will this open up more options for dash finish, e.g., white, other wood types, etc.?

Here are some photos.

Ready, set, speculate!

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately no one knows the answer to these questions. There was a release candidate vehicle with white interior spotted but that’s about it. No one knows timing, pricing, or any other details associated with it.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Here’s my guesstimate:

Tesla is roughly 2 months behind on their initial M3 ramp projection which is here:
e8075208-8715-4240-b3a5-1858db7b5b33-jpeg.4523

Tesla has since taken down the ramp curve and updated their timeline:
5248cd08-0423-46a8-9477-83bcc6bd68a9-jpeg.4524

I am assuming that option availability will be released in batches and Interior color should be minimally impactful to production line efficiency. I think white seats will come around the same time as standard battery which should be 2018Q1.

According to the updated timeline above, Dual Motor AWD is being targeted for 2018Q2 but I think that MANY employees have deferred their reservations awaiting dual motor. As a current owner 1st day reservation, my delivery estimator still shows AWD as 8/18 to 10/18 whereas my first production window is 11/17 to 1/18 and I haven’t gotten an invite yet . I think performance version and possible SAS will be available around the same time as Dual Motor. I personally am not willing to spend $70k+ on the M3. I would just make the skip to MS instead.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s my guesstimate:

Tesla is roughly 2 months behind on their initial M3 ramp projection which is here:
View attachment 4523
Tesla has since taken down the ramp curve and updated their timeline:
View attachment 4524
I am assuming that option availability will be released in batches and Interior color should be minimally impactful to production line efficiency. I think white seats will come around the same time as standard battery which should be 2018Q1.

According to the updated timeline above, Dual Motor AWD is being targeted for 2018Q2 but I think that MANY employees have deferred their reservations awaiting dual motor. As a current owner 1st day reservation, my delivery estimator still shows AWD as 8/18 to 10/18 whereas my first production window is 11/17 to 1/18 and I haven’t gotten an invite yet . I think performance version and possible SAS will be available around the same time as Dual Motor. I personally am not willing to spend $70k+ on the M3. I would just make the skip to MS instead.
I think there is 0% chance we see standard battery in Q1. If the day 1, non-owner, line waiters have first production windows of December - February and they miss on those windows by a month that brings us to end of Q1 2018 without a single standard battery car deliveries and subsequently same goes for white interior.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay so it looks like I'm one month behind you as a non-owner (12/17-2/18). So if you wait for the standard battery or white interior, you risk losing half federal incentive when they hit 200k total cars produced. That's a no brainer then, but I would be bummed, if say March, they released interior color options. Who knows, maybe they could use the introduction of color options to sway people that were going to wait for the standard battery by staggering the release.

About the dual motor...although I'm sure the acceleration is going to be extraordinary, I feel like the RWD version with the standard battery will be the most fun to drive in terms of handling because of the weight. I also expect the RWD versions to be more efficient. The Model 3 will have amazing traction without AWD due to the distribution of weight and the motor sitting on the drive wheels. If I lived in inclement weather, however, I would definitely go with the AWD setup.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay so it looks like I'm one month behind you as a non-owner (12/17-2/18). So if you wait for the standard battery or white interior, you risk losing half federal incentive when they hit 200k total cars produced. That's a no brainer then, but I would be bummed, if say March, they released interior color options. Who knows, maybe they could use the introduction of color options to sway people that were going to wait for the standard battery by staggering the release.

About the dual motor...although I'm sure the acceleration is going to be extraordinary, I feel like the RWD version with the standard battery will be the most fun to drive in terms of handling because of the weight. I also expect the RWD versions to be more efficient. The Model 3 will have amazing traction without AWD due to the distribution of weight and the motor sitting on the drive wheels. If I lived in inclement weather, however, I would definitely go with the AWD setup.
Odds are they hit 200k in Q1 and the credit lasts through 6/30/2018. To that end with a window through February if you’re invited to configure in January and dead set on white interior you could defer a bit. If no sign of white interior, place your order in April, get the car in May and still have a month cushion against the end of the $7500 portion of the credit.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Odds are they hit 200k in Q1 and the credit lasts through 6/30/2018. To that end with a window through February if you’re invited to configure in January and dead set on white interior you could defer a bit. If no sign of white interior, place your order in April, get the car in May and still have a month cushion against the end of the $7500 portion of the credit.
Can you elaborate on this? If they reach 200k in Q1, the full $7500 tax credit is available for an additional quarter? I guess I assumed there was a hard cut off at 200k units.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you elaborate on this? If they reach 200k in Q1, the full $7500 tax credit is available for an additional quarter? I guess I assumed there was a hard cut off at 200k units.
Sure.... there is a phase out.

Quarter that 200k hits gets $7,500 and one more quarter.

Then 2 quarters at $3,750.

Then 2 quarters at $1,875.

Then it’s over.

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I think you will find that for the S, the dual motors improved range. The 2 motors seem to be optimized for economy at different speeds. So that as speed increases one of the motors is favored over the other motor, so the other essentially just spins. Dual Motors are about more than the giddy up. There is better range and better traction on slippery streets.
So I am projecting that difference onto the Model 3. Just trying to make your decision a little harder. :)

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I would like to get white interior but I dont think it will be available anytime soon and I don't know how soon is soon or long or whatever... I just don't understand why Tesla can't be honest about simple things so people can make educated decision.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would like to get white interior but I dont think it will be available anytime soon and I don't know how soon is soon or long or whatever... I just don't understand why Tesla can't be honest about simple things so people can make educated decision.
It’s quite possible that they truly do not know exactly when and probably won’t until they reach their initial goal of 5,000 first production cars per week.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would prefer the white interior also, to me all things being equal (price and time frame) this is what I would choose but as we know all things are not equal. Waiting for a white interior would likely cost at least $3,750 in lost tax credits Personally I don't want white bad enough to pay an extra $3,750 for it.

From a business perspective I think Tesla is doing exactly the right thing by offering a single option package right now. I suspect that they want to know exactly how much demand there is for this single configuration before introducing more variables that could slow production. Color and wheels have no material impact on production volume and speed but things like seat color absolutely do. Until they have gone through a large majority of reservation holders willing to take delivery of the current configuration I don't see why they would offer additional variables that would only slow them down

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the S and X non fabric white or black seats are the same price. The RC with the white interior had white seats, white door inserts and a white dash panel. The consul was black. On the 3 ‘premium seating’ is included with the PUP so I imagine the within the PUP the the white will be a no cost choice. Personally I think the next available option will be the white interior aside from any other options like SR, Dual SAS or P. To many people holding out for it. I’m sure Tesla is aware of this.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Clearest pic of the white interior that I've seen so far. Tesla's press kit used to mention the white interior option being available in the fall of 2017 but it's no longer there for obvious reasons. Will be bummed if it's not available in time for the full $7,500 tax credit.
Interesting that it also has the gray headliner. I would have expected black...

AdamHolmes

Country
Country
Clearest pic of the white interior that I've seen so far. Tesla's press kit used to mention the white interior option being available in the fall of 2017 but it's no longer there for obvious reasons. Will be bummed if it's not available in time for the full $7,500 tax credit.
I want white so bad. The phone holder looks amazing in white.The black it is a fingerprint magnet. Also I'm not a fan of the wood trim. I doubt I'm up for another 3 months at least, hopefully something will be available by then

Last edited:

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s the Alpha car interior with the later steering wheel. The armrests, cup holders, door inserts, seats and upper Dash are different than production models. The RC’s with the white seats had the white dash insert but the console was piano black. I still want white though!