Question Which tyres for Nissan Leaf (30kWh)?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

I've got a 2016 30kWh Nissan Leaf. I have two sets of wheels (one set that I use for Spring, Summer and Autumn) the other set for Winter. Being in the UK, this usually ends up being between 2 to 4 months of the year.

My summer rims are 17" and my current tyre sizes are: 215/50R17
My winter rims are 16" and my current tyre sizes are: 205/60R16

I can't remember what brand or series the summer tyres are, but they are the original ones that were provided on a UK spec Nissan Leaf. The winter tyres are not particular great but I bought the wheels cheaply and they had them already on with a lot of tread. Both have tread left but are nearing the point where I'd prefer to replace them.

Can anyone recommend a decent set of tyres for each? I'd normally go for Michelin brand as they've always been pretty highly recommended. For winter tyres, I have previously used Bridgestone Blizzak. But that was on a previous car so not sure what would be better for the Leaf.

Any recommendations?

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Mad Hungarian can perhaps chime in on this?
Wow, that's a hugely open-ended question, nearly akin to asking "What's the best restaurant?". Without knowing the type of food you like or price range it's pretty much impossible to answer. Even then it can be open to a big debate in most cities!
However if we narrow it down to how you use the car, type of driver you are, types of roads, annual mileage, price sensitivity, and any particular qualities you place high value on, e.g., noise, ride comfort, dry grip, wet grip, etc. then we can start going in the right direction :).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can anyone recommend a decent set of tyres for each? I'd normally go for Michelin brand as they've always been pretty highly recommended. For winter tyres, I have previously used Bridgestone Blizzak. But that was on a previous car so not sure what would be better for the Leaf.
I had Blizzaks on my Leaf. They worked very well.

Wow, that's a hugely open-ended question, nearly akin to asking "What's the best restaurant?". Without knowing the type of food you like or price range it's pretty much impossible to answer. Even then it can be open to a big debate in most cities!
However if we narrow it down to how you use the car, type of driver you are, types of roads, annual mileage, price sensitivity, and any particular qualities you place high value on, e.g., noise, ride comfort, dry grip, wet grip, etc. then we can start going in the right direction :).
So sorry for lack of info. Okay, so I don't do spirited driving at all. I stick the speed limit and even on the motorway where the limit is 70mph, I often travel around 60 to 65mph. I don't take corners fast, and I prefer to maximise my regen rather than hard braking. You could probably describe my car usage as very sedate. I do around 8k to 10k miles a year and mostly they are around city streets of 30 to 40mph.

I'm not shy of spending a reasonably premium amount of money for a reasonably gain in quality. My main desire is for grip performance. Even though I won't be pushing the car's performance, there are times (e.g. emergency braking or having to swerve) where I may need very high amount of grip to avoid an accident.

I've always felt that with the tyres being the only points of contact with the road, why skimp out on a good set of tyres.

After that, the general priority would be reduced noise and ride comfort.

Here in the UK we get a reasonable amount of rain. It's not uncommon for my summer tyres to be on in wet conditions. Also, it's not uncommon to get some dry/warmish days while I have my winter tyres on too.

Hope that helps narrow things down :-D

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Summer:
Michelin Primacy MXM4
- Interestingly at this point in history most tire manufacturers are pairing their LRR (low rolling resistance) tech to very long wearing touring type tires, so it's hard to find one that offers both good efficiency AND really good grip. Overall this is the best one I can think of in your size, and it happens to be the same model we get as OE on the 18" Model 3. Now I have to say neither myself or many of the Model 3 owners are particularly blown away by this tires wet performance on the Model 3, it's good but nothing to write home about. However the non-Tesla versions of this tire get rave reviews for wet performance on all kinds of other vehicles and I think this disconnect has to do with some of the tread block stiffening and perhaps some other tweaks they did to make it more responsive and efficient for Tesla.
The only other complaint is that they are not a phenomenally long wearing tire, but that's the price you pay for grip. Having said that, in the North American market your size carries a 55,000 mile tread wear warranty, so used only 9 months of the year in your case they should still last a very long time.
Everything else about them is fabulous, they are dead quiet, comfortable, have nice linear steering response and are hard to beat for efficiency/range.

Winter:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
- In terms of both ice/snow grip and efficiency, this tire is king. End of discussion. It's really mind blowing how a winter tire that's this good in bad weather can still be so efficient, not to mention quiet, but the Nokian team are wizards when it comes to this stuff.
The downside is that they roll over and die in the dry. They still have plenty of grip when it's nice out, they just feel completely lethargic. But that's the deal you make with the devil to get such incredible performance on snow and ice, and as that's where you obviously are at much higher risk of losing control most drivers are happy to give up some dry road response for this level of winter safety.
Michelin X-ICE Xi3 - A close second to the Hakka R3 in nasty weather, this tire's higher H speed rating means it's a little more responsive on dry roads. Also eerily quiet.
There are other winter models that are so good in the dry they approach all-season level feel, however that means giving up either some efficiency or snow/ice grip and since you don't sound like someone who really tosses the car around much I'd stick with these two.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Bridgestone Ecopia 422 is a great choice for summer . It has excellent efficiency and is one of the original tires Nissan chose for the Leaf
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Ecopia+EP422+Plus+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=15VR7EP422PL&autoMake=Nissan&autoModel=Leaf&autoYear=2018
The Ecopia 422 was the 16" OEM tire for the Nissan Leaf. It has extremely low rolling resistance. However, everything else about that tire was pretty bad. I wouldn't recommend it unless you desired maximum range and don't care at all about handling.

Summer:
Michelin Primacy MXM4
- Interestingly at this point in history most tire manufacturers are pairing their LRR (low rolling resistance) tech to very long wearing touring type tires, so it's hard to find one that offers both good efficiency AND really good grip. Overall this is the best one I can think of in your size, and it happens to be the same model we get as OE on the 18" Model 3. Now I have to say neither myself or many of the Model 3 owners are particularly blown away by this tires wet performance on the Model 3, it's good but nothing to write home about. However the non-Tesla versions of this tire get rave reviews for wet performance on all kinds of other vehicles and I think this disconnect has to do with some of the tread block stiffening and perhaps some other tweaks they did to make it more responsive and efficient for Tesla.
The only other complaint is that they are not a phenomenally long wearing tire, but that's the price you pay for grip. Having said that, in the North American market your size carries a 55,000 mile tread wear warranty, so used only 9 months of the year in your case they should still last a very long time.
Everything else about them is fabulous, they are dead quiet, comfortable, have nice linear steering response and are hard to beat for efficiency/range.

Winter:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
- In terms of both ice/snow grip and efficiency, this tire is king. End of discussion. It's really mind blowing how a winter tire that's this good in bad weather can still be so efficient, not to mention quiet, but the Nokian team are wizards when it comes to this stuff.
The downside is that they roll over and die in the dry. They still have plenty of grip when it's nice out, they just feel completely lethargic. But that's the deal you make with the devil to get such incredible performance on snow and ice, and as that's where you obviously are at much higher risk of losing control most drivers are happy to give up some dry road response for this level of winter safety.
Michelin X-ICE Xi3 - A close second to the Hakka R3 in nasty weather, this tire's higher H speed rating means it's a little more responsive on dry roads. Also eerily quiet.
There are other winter models that are so good in the dry they approach all-season level feel, however that means giving up either some efficiency or snow/ice grip and since you don't sound like someone who really tosses the car around much I'd stick with these two.

Thank you so much for the advice. Just a couple of follow ups, in the UK (especially where I live which is near London), the number of snow days are very few, maybe 3 or 4 days. The rest of the time during the winter 2 to 4 months, are generally lower temperature days -5 to +5 degrees celsius. There could be frost and patches of ice but actual snow is not that common. Given this, are the Nokian R3 still the best tyres?

I've been trying to find both the Michelin Primacy MXM4 and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 tyres but I can't find them anywhere here. My normal go to places to buy tyres are www.mytyres.co.uk and www.blackcircles.com. Neither of these websites have those exact tyres nor do any other websites that I could find. I also tried finding Michelin X-ICE Xi3 and I can't find them anywhere either.

Are they known by any other names (sometimes products in the UK or Europe market are given different names)? Or maybe they are just not available here in the UK. If this is the case, any alternative options?