Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Most popular features we'd like to see

• Roll up windows via remote app or keyfob

Votes: 61 19.9%
  • Stop indexing my media on the USB drive every time I get in the car. Let me chose when

Votes: 50 16.3%
  • Add the display and read of text messages

Votes: 113 36.8%
  • Button to repeat the next direction to take with the GPS

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • Create an IFTTT service

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • Decrease the presence of the low tire pressure notification, such as for windshield washer fluid

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • In the application, detailed log (Trips, KM, Charge, etc.)

Votes: 51 16.6%
  • In the application, display if unsecured vehicle (door(s) badly closed and/or open window(s)) etc

Votes: 96 31.3%
  • In the application, Scheduler (HVAC, Clim, Charge, etc.)

Votes: 46 15.0%
  • On voice command, change Mobile, Home, Office, etc. text by icons

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Options / Vehicule, Enable "Smart Preconditionning" (as in the X model)

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Replace Slacker with Spotify

Votes: 102 33.2%
  • Pause phone playback and stay paused

Votes: 17 5.5%
  • More voice controls for media

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • Display release notes BEFORE applying the update

Votes: 50 16.3%
  • Phone push reminder if you forgot to plug in at night

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • Double tap on the parking button to bring up the door controls on Model X

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Keep media tray minimized when I tell it to. It keeps popping up

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Use side cameras during parking

Votes: 89 29.0%
  • Use side cameras during lane changes

Votes: 83 27.0%
  • Passenger seat position stored in driver profile

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Waypoint support in navigation

Votes: 64 20.8%
  • Allow lane change aggressively to be selectable on right scroll wheel

Votes: 17 5.5%
  • Location-aware door locking setting (disable when at home)

Votes: 26 8.5%
  • Alternate route support in navigation

Votes: 68 22.1%
  • Add rear camera to TeslaCam

Votes: 53 17.3%
  • More sensitive automatic volume

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • Faster volume control response

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Power trunk retrofit kit

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • Expand driver profile to include audio settings, more preferences

Votes: 38 12.4%
  • Add Waze support/integration

Votes: 65 21.2%

Which software updates are you wanting/expecting from your Model 3?

153K views 942 replies 261 participants last post by  Kimmo57 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the biggest complaints about the car seems to be software features, but they can be updated over the air!! I'd like to use this thread to keep a running list of software updates that you're wanting, hoping for, or expecting based on Elon Musk's tweets/statements. So please let me know, and I'll update this post! I'll also check off items as they're updated.

Phone/Home Assistant app:
Siri integration with Model 3 phone controls
❑Google Assistant integration with Model 3 phone controls (including controls for setting the temperature)
❑Alexa support - "Alexa set car temperature to 75 degrees"

Apps:
❑Spotify
❑SiriusXM
❑iheartradio
❑Google Play Music
❑Amazon Music
❑Waze
❑Pandora
❑yelp - send location to Nav
❑functional web browser

Other:
❑Software stability - bluetooth car unlocking, etc
❑Improved voice commands (ability to control all nearly all non-driving functions of the car)
❑Full car parking view (overhead camera view)
❑Calendar integration - use destinations in calendar for Nav
❑Expanded scrollwheel functionality -
... ❑control autopilot/ACC speed
... ❑control autopilot distance
... ❑control a/c
... ❑Windshield wiper speed setting
... ❑Map zoom
... ❑Contact/phone number selection (when making a call by voice)
... ❑Contextual scrollwheel controls (depends on what you're doing and features you're using)
... ❑Full scroll wheel functionality on any menu, anywhere, using directions (up, down, left, right)
❑Pre-heat seats from phone app
❑Data displays and power usage graphs/gauges
❑Dashcam functionality / external memory camera recording
❑Useless helper characters to teach you about your car/user interface
❑Wifi
❑Option not to switch to FM when no LTE signal
❑Passenger seat/HVAC profiles (including entry); both independent and paired with driver.
❑Alternative display options for TbT directions (horizontal at bottom or vertical in left).
❑User defined scroll wheel functions
❑Ability to turn off Signature Lights while driving with headlights on (based on reports of glare when snowing).
❑Default and load/level sensing headlight adjustment options.
❑Support for Chademo adapter - assuming this is possible?
❑Rear heated seat control - is it confirmed that there are rear heated seats?
❑Phone screen/app mirroring (like Apple CarPlay/Android auto)

Wiper UI controlled by incremental slider
❑Improve backup camera quality.
❑Backup camera features: green / yellow / red backup lines, with the color determined by the distance to the closest obstacle (per the ultrasonics).
❑Improved USB playback - save the drive index so it can resume from the same place it was when the car stopped, random playback, and playlists
❑Car to car communication platform. Communicate with other vehicles directly in the area through voice commands.

Nav:
❑Improved response time + routes - Musk has already promised a "HUGE" overhaul to be released "soon"
❑Option to move some summary nav info to the left
❑Get routes and notifications from waze (police, road closures, objects in road, accidents, etc)
❑Get navigation destinations from phone's contact info

Physical controls/features:
❑keyless door locks opening from too large of a distance - has this been resolved?
autowipers do not wipe when someone opens the door - resolved.

Autopilot:
❑Less lane bouncing and smoother autopilot driving
❑summon feature
❑improve/fix lane changing
❑improve speed adjustment when others are merging onto the freeway
❑Automatically adjust to a relative speed based on the speed limit

FSD:
❑Freeways only?
❑Side roads?
❑Complete functional release

Not software upgradeable:
❑Integrated universal toll transponder (a must for true FSD) - will this require additional hardware?
❑Soft close (auto retract) frunk
❑Some method of discouraging (beforehand) use of manual door levers
❑Wiper arm servicing position which actually holds them off the glass so it doesn't take three hands to change a blade
❑Heads up Display
❑Optional keyfob
❑Cell phone mount that is near eye level

See less See more
#2 ·
Auto wipers swipe with door open issue was only on S (possibly X) I think. Well if it was on 3, it’s resolved for sure.

I want calendar integration. I don’t necessarily need to see my calendar like S/X, but I want to grab from my calendar for navigation destinations.

Beyond that — next smartest thing would be the evolution of the right scroll wheel to do more than mirrors, steering wheel, and voice command trigger.

#7 ·
Passenger seat/HVAC profiles (including entry); both independent and paired with driver.

Alternative display options for TbT directions (horizontal at bottom or vertical in left).

Integrated universal toll transponder (a must for true FSD).

Expanded and user defined scroll wheel functions (especially EAP settings).

Ability to turn off Signature Lights while driving with headlights on (based on reports of glare when snowing).

Default and load/level sensing headlight adjustment options.

Pie in the sky (might require physical changes):

Soft close (auto retract) frunk.

Some method of discouraging (beforehand) use of manual door levers.

Wiper arm servicing position which actually holds them off the glass so it doesn't take three hands to change a blade.

Reactions: VBruce and ng0
#9 ·
A lot more voice activated controls. I know Elon has said that this was coming down the pike. Hopefully it will be in place by the time I get to configure this summer.

On a side note, I am reading a lot of wished improvements that are not software updatable. I hope people realize that things like soft closing frunks and charger support requiring different plug compatibility are hardware issues. Those would require design changes at the factory level.

Dan

#17 ·
Thanks all for the great feedback! I believe I've captured all your replies in the original post. Let me know if I've missed anything. Keep 'em coming! I think it'll be great to keep track of all this.

For those that posted about expanded scroll wheel functionality. What would you like to be able to control with them besides autopilot (speed/distance) and A/C?

Reactions: Love and Charlie W
#20 ·
For those that posted about expanded scroll wheel functionality. What would you like to be able to control with them besides autopilot (speed/distance) and A/C?
Addtional selectable settings I would like to have (these are very low priority):
  • Windshield wiper speed setting
  • Map zoom
  • Contact/phone number selection (when making a call by voice)

Reactions: Dangermouse and ng0
#25 ·
Yeah, I'd like to see the scroll wheels be contextual based on activity so that you don't have to look at the screen but the appropriate change would momentarily display for verification. Of course, it would be very nice if those contextual controls could be customized (when not driving) so that each driver profile could have different scroll wheel functions; Tesla could set default functions, obviously.

Another option might be to combine voice and scroll wheel controls so that the driver could, for example, say "wiper speed" then adjust it with the scroll wheel and have visual feedback on the screen as well as a tonal feedback (if selected) perhaps using a metronome beat or low-to-high pitch analogous to speed.

Having worked with airplane Cursor Control Devices which require the user to watch the screen while using them, I'm not in favor of that in a car. I'm sure something intuitive, simple, and safe will be rolled out by Tesla in very short order. They wouldn't have included multi-function scroll wheels if they hadn't been planning this all along.

#29 ·
Expand right scroll wheel function to "everything".
So... Left-Right clicks move left-right on the menu. Scrolling is scrolling either menu or option. Click is enter. Holdclick is EXIT.
Believe it or not, that was my original thought - I wanted something like the big menu dial in our Audi, or a mouse or something - cause I want it all :)

I liked the idea of voice getting you to the section you want more quickly too..

#34 ·
This wasn't on the list already, but I thought it'd be great to include and check off the list! Just a great indication that Tesla is listening to complaints and concerns and updating the software. This came from the "Tesla Model 3 road trip" FB page.

Reactions: JWardell
G
#35 ·
Grrr... I see them working but I don't see them thinking:(
Who the HELL label
"Slow interval" with one dash
"Fast interval" with two dashes
"Slow continuous" with three dashes
"Fast continuous" with four dashes
:confused::confused::confused::mad:

I know Tesla has never made a wiper stalk, but they literally have to just look into Model S.

It has been, is now, and will always be:
short dashes, long/tight dashes, line, double/thick line.

#36 ·
It has been, is now, and will always be:
short dashes, long/tight dashes, line, double/thick line.
I don't know, I personally like the new version better. It's just tick marks indicating the swipes per time interval. The more ticks, the faster the swipes. I think that's better in terms of modern design, the old version is too skeuomorphic.

#40 ·
@arnis That's a really nice mock-up and I wouldn't object if that's what they went with, but I still feel like the tic mark version is actually more intuitive for a new user.

G
#41 · (Edited)
Those ticks have never been used in the industry.
I've not even seen them on any device. ANY. Like a cookstove or a fridge or a blender.

There are hardly any "new" car users. People switch from old car to Tesla. Why invent a bicycle?

@Brett
Look at that cellular reception symbol right next to AUTO button. Now replace that with fixed height dashes.
Does this symbol give more or less feedback of what is going on?

Well, that is exactly what happened on Model 3, informative dashes replaced with fixed. Reducing information content with absolutely no reason. Literally, it states nothing else than a number. 1, 2, 3, 4.

There is science behind it. Literally. Designing universally understandable stuff takes ages. No need to be special.

PS. I even found that many symbols (like those defrost and seat heating) are standardized. That includes intermittence.
ISO 2575:2010

PS2: I've noticed that Model 3 has incorrect symbol for Seat heating (look above). ISO states this symbol.
https://www.iso.org/obp/ui#iso:grs:7000:0649B

PS3: I've noticed "wipers enabled" symbol is also home-brewn crap. It looks fine. Until you find out that it overlaps with "electric windscreen wiper defrost" symbol (not the same as "electric windscreen defrost").

Left one is Tesla wipers enabled, right one is wiper electric defrost.
Left one should not have that gray line to the right.

Ok, I'm pissed off enough for today.

#42 ·
You make very valid points, but I'd argue that unlike the wifi symbol, no one ever looks at the wiper stalk when they're controlling it. I can't think of a single car where I've ever seen symbols and/or have looked for them. You got me really interested and I actually walked out of work to look if my old 2002 Camry had any markings and sure enough there aren't any. That should be an indication that the markings for this particular item shouldn't matter as long as they make sense.

Reactions: MelindaV
#45 ·
Realized I should probably add in "improve quality of backup camera". To me it seemed ok, but it seems there's still a lot of youtube videos where people complain about it. Thoughts from model 3 owners?

Reactions: JWardell
#49 ·
I'll be the (temporary) contrarian here - I want stability over features and *maybe* an optional key fob.

Today my phone let me into my car but I got the 'missing keycard' error because the car and phone didn't actually agree to talk to one another. Turning BT on/off fixes it - but it was cold out this am and I was grumpy with that delay..

#52 ·
The main thing I want right now is improving USB playback beyond the bare bones system it has now. It needs to save the drive index so it can resume from the same place it was when the car stopped rather than spending a few minutes re-indexing the drive, have random playback, and preferably playlists though that is far less important.

#54 ·
What do they make driveways out of up in Massachusetts? Snow? ;)
From December to March, you bet*!

* Except for this year. And the year before. And maybe the year before that.

They're usually asphalt, concrete, or stone. Concrete & stone are usually a light grey, which could be hard to tell from white in sunlight.
The street-level portion of my parents' driveway is a white concrete, and it becomes gray concrete with stone as it winds down a 15-foot hill and makes a 90 degree turn into two narrow garage ports. (Okay, I admit that this is not really a common use-case. :)) Backing a Model S or X into their garage is a slow and harrowing experience, but it's a little easier in their Mercedes GLE because you can see the lines more clearly and tell from the color whether you're in danger of bumping into something.

Reactions: VBruce and garsh
#55 ·
Updated with the latest suggestions. I agree that software stability really should be the number one priority. The bluetooth door unlock problems (especially on android) that people keep reporting makes me more concerned than all the features listed in the first post.

Reactions: mig and SoFlaModel3
#56 ·
I realized I have google play music and amazon music also, so those would be nice to have. I'm adding those to the apps list.

Reactions: mig
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.