Suggestion Which software updates are you wanting/expecting from your Model 3?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Most popular features we'd like to see

• Roll up windows via remote app or keyfob

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • Stop indexing my media on the USB drive every time I get in the car. Let me chose when

Votes: 48 21.6%
  • Add the display and read of text messages

Votes: 92 41.4%
  • Button to repeat the next direction to take with the GPS

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Create an IFTTT service

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Decrease the presence of the low tire pressure notification, such as for windshield washer fluid

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • In the application, detailed log (Trips, KM, Charge, etc.)

Votes: 34 15.3%
  • In the application, display if unsecured vehicle (door(s) badly closed and/or open window(s)) etc

Votes: 67 30.2%
  • In the application, Scheduler (HVAC, Clim, Charge, etc.)

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • On voice command, change Mobile, Home, Office, etc. text by icons

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Options / Vehicule, Enable "Smart Preconditionning" (as in the X model)

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Replace Slacker with Spotify

Votes: 93 41.9%
  • Pause phone playback and stay paused

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • More voice controls for media

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Display release notes BEFORE applying the update

Votes: 24 10.8%
  • Phone push reminder if you forgot to plug in at night

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Double tap on the parking button to bring up the door controls on Model X

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Keep media tray minimized when I tell it to. It keeps popping up

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Use side cameras during parking

Votes: 40 18.0%
  • Use side cameras during lane changes

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Passenger seat position stored in driver profile

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Waypoint support in navigation

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Allow lane change aggressively to be selectable on right scroll wheel

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Location-aware door locking setting (disable when at home)

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Alternate route support in navigation

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Add rear camera to TeslaCam

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • More sensitive automatic volume

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Faster volume control response

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Power trunk retrofit kit

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Expand driver profile to include audio settings, more preferences

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Add Waze support/integration

Votes: 30 13.5%

• Total voters

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You guys sound funny. If they are "automatic" wipers, why do you need settings? Most of the time mine work very well without human intervention...
Sure, in theory, auto wipers should just work. But the reality for many of us is that they are absolutely unusable in moderate to heavy rain. If I can't see a thing out the windshield, I should be able to turn up the wipers without looking away from the road. Every car I've ever driven had that ability, except this one. It's been my number one complaint since day one.

My preference would be to hold down the wiper button and use the right scroll wheel to adjust wiper speed. But any of the schemes I've seen proposed involving clicks, double clicks, hold of the wiper button, etc. would be fine with me. Just give me some way to turn up the wipers from the steering wheel or stalk controls.

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tap-to-Tempo (4x) with a long press for cancel would do it. Long press with scroll wheel would also be compatible but I think the cruise control adjust is better off with one single function.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sure, in theory, auto wipers should just work. But the reality for many of us is that they are absolutely unusable in moderate to heavy rain. If I can't see a thing out the windshield, I should be able to turn up the wipers without looking away from the road. Every car I've ever driven had that ability, except this one. It's been my number one complaint since day one.

My preference would be to hold down the wiper button and use the right scroll wheel to adjust wiper speed. But any of the schemes I've seen proposed involving clicks, double clicks, hold of the wiper button, etc. would be fine with me. Just give me some way to turn up the wipers from the steering wheel or stalk controls.
That's because auto wipers are still being improved, and we have seen noticeable improvement in the last few months. They now work even with mist in the dark. Just a year ago, auto wipers didn't even exist. Dumb auto wipers definitely need sensitivity settings, but once smart enough, "you won't care" and these will "just work" to use some Elon quotes. Yet another item not to have to micromanage in your car.

DJKick

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For me here is what I would like to be improved :
- Improve Spotify integration : gapless playback, remember last position when you stopped, random play, possibility to choose between different spotify accounts,get all possibilities from the IOS/Android app
- Improve USB drive audio interface and functionality : Gapless playback, better search, no re index each time you stop (index on demand), better support of the tags, remember position of the tracks
- Choose level of Audio when getting in the car, save multiple eq settings on the audio, save several balance/volume settings
- Soundcloud/Mixcloud integration
- Improve Web browser : multiple tabs, faster
- More vocal commands (wiper, text messages)
- Integration of text messaging/whatsapp
- Download updates on LTE instead of Wifi

Boggtj01

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
August update; observations based on 2019.24.4:

New or major changes are italicized. Lots of re-ordering.

• Meta: Adjust priorities to focus a portion on quick-and-cool functional (not game) improvements. Every update should have at least one "ooh, cool, checkitout" or "wow, that's handy" feature planned.

• TACC neighboring lane speed adjustment (car is willing to go waaay too fast even when the adjacent lane is slow or stopped. 70mph speed differentials in active traffic lanes are unsafe.)
  • TACC chill-level adjustment (I'd like it even more chill on both acceleration and deceleration)
  • EAP lane change: reduce flinch back, even at the expense of waiting longer to try. Flinch-back has convinced my wife that EAP is scary. (This has gotten enough better to strike.)
  • Operator hints replace map display in Valet mode (reddit) (This is also the best way to handle car wash mode.)
  • Aerial view for parking (even if it's got a dead zone in front; care more about sides. Besides, this could be VR interpolation where it doesn't have direct view. )
  • EAP adjust lane position to tend away from other vehicles
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without neighbor cars
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without dry-scrubbing tires
  • Adaptive brake light flash (or just modulated, though adaptive would be better, and the hardware is clearly present to do this. Yes, this is legal in the US; completely legal on the CHMSL, and arguable on the main stop lamps. CHMSL only would be fine.)
  • Open frunk with hand/arm gestures
  • Single touch to speak next navigation instruction even when instructions muted (my 2002 Lexus had this, and it's surprisingly handy)
  • Courtesy lights automatically activate when approaching parked vehicle at night
  • Cut steering wheel power when the vehicle is placed in Park after driving
  • Hands free EAP via selfie-cam (or any other way, i.e. get rid of the steering wheel torque requirement.)
  • Add Waze support/integration (view reports, submit reports)
  • Blind spot alerting audible, could include activating camera for that side, audible signal could come from the direction of danger
  • Entertainment improvements (Spotify in USA, USB fixes, control responsiveness,...)
  • Add key vehicle data to TeslaCam data stream (position, direction, speed, control state, AP state, etc. get stored in frame-level metadata)
  • EAP looks further ahead for slowing
  • EAP improve handling of lane splits and lane-gets-wider (This has gotten enough better to strike.)
  • Link driver profile automatically with driver phone/card (Said to be in 2019.28; striking this in anticipation.)
  • Audible feedback when turn signal cancelled (especially on auto-cancel)
  • Courtesy lights automatically activate when approaching parked vehicle at night
  • Backup cam, if activated by reverse, remains active until Park or Drive >7mph
  • Hill hold (i.e. prevent rollback without having to enable creep).
  • Reliable press-to-release on charge cable
  • Automatic spotting of police cars with audible alert (AP computer should be able to spot most common color schemes, right? :) Doesn't have to spot those awful pseudo-unmarked CHP cars, but normal black-and-whites should be easy.)
  • Expand driver profile to include audio settings, more preferences...
  • Performance gauges display option
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without pulling past
  • EAP responsive to lane change signalling by cars intending to enter travel lane
  • Passenger-accessible audio one-touch-mute
  • Map travel-up setting should be sticky
  • Yellow rear turn signals (yes, I suspect this is not software... but I can hope.) Confirmed hardware not present on NA models. Sad face.
  • Map recenters above audio controls when audio controls up I think this has gotten better.
  • Navigation waypoints
  • Set TACC to current speed even when below limit Workaround by setting to -20, but this could still use improvement.
  • Voice command expansion (HVAC, audio, ...)
  • Power trunk retrofit kit
  • Link driver profile to driver Tesla identity (i.e. across vehicles)
  • More restrictive valet mode
  • Door presentation retrofit kit
  • Add rear camera to TeslaCam
  • Wiper logic learns from driver manual actuation
  • Turn signal sound comes from activated side
  • Summon with gestures
  • More sensitive automatic volume
  • Web browser Web browser that works Web browser: add personalization, including adblocks and plugins
  • Text message support for reading incoming messages and dictating new ones
  • Add all cameras to USB dashcam
  • Replace rear quarter windows with Lexan
Hill hold is already present when you long press the brake pedal. You’ll get an ( h ) symbol indicating its on. You can then take your foot from the break and the car won’t move until you accelerate

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hill hold is already present when you long press the brake pedal. You’ll get an ( h ) symbol indicating its on. You can then take your foot from the break and the car won’t move until you accelerate
That's not what we mean by "hill hold." What we'd like is for you to be able to push the accelerator and drive forward for a bit, take your foot off the accelerator, and have the car not roll back without having to hit the brake. This is crucial for bumper-to-bumper traffic going up a hill. Right now, you can fake it if you have AP by engaging TACC. It will then work pretty much that way, since TACC won't go forward until there's about a car length between you and the next car, but won't let you roll back. But TACC also fights you a bit when you try to close below that car length.

Boggtj01

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's not what we mean by "hill hold." What we'd like is for you to be able to push the accelerator and drive forward for a bit, take your foot off the accelerator, and have the car not roll back without having to hit the brake. This is crucial for bumper-to-bumper traffic going up a hill. Right now, you can fake it if you have AP by engaging TACC. It will then work pretty much that way, since TACC won't go forward until there's about a car length between you and the next car, but won't let you roll back. But TACC also fights you a bit when you try to close below that car length.
Ah, sorry for the confusion! That would be nice feature!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
having come from a 5-speed, I can't say that I've had any issue rolling back since driving the 3 (and I don't use creep). Maybe just having been used to being prepared to jump between the clutch/brake/gas in a hilly city, just being able to use the single pedal to do all that is effortless.

millsdmb

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First I would like the "advanced" software update mode to actually do something. It literally does nothing (26 days since my last update according to teslafi).

Why can't we have a way to force the damn install?

I hope/can't wait for Hotz to root this thing like he did to the iPhone 1.

/rant

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
having come from a 5-speed, I can't say that I've had any issue rolling back since driving the 3 (and I don't use creep). Maybe just having been used to being prepared to jump between the clutch/brake/gas in a hilly city, just being able to use the single pedal to do all that is effortless.
In most cases, yes. (I learned to drive stick in San Francisco!)

But after a Fourth of July celebration, I got stuck in very heavy traffic coming up a long hill on a surface street. Cars were inching up a bit at a time, and staying very close to each other. Crowds of pedestrians, often with small children, were crossing everywhere in the small spaces between cars.

It was anything but effortless--it was terrifying. People were literally brushing the back bumper frequently. Rolling back three inches could have knocked someone down; a foot could have crushed someone. And the rhythm was stop; wait thirty seconds; move two feet forward; stop; wait thirty seconds...

I turned on the rear camera and then, after a bit, TACC. TACC largely solved the hazard, although then the car clearly did not like moving forward with how close I was to the next car ahead. So better, but not ideal.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I’ve been using the autopilot now for awhile. It’s a great feature. I would like to know where I can make a suggestion to Tesla as to a feature that I feel should be made available.
I’ve found the car tracks a bit to close to the center line on two lane opposing direction roads for my comfort.
I feel there should be the availability of an “offset” so that one could adjust the car to track a bit more to the right side of the road away from the center line. This would provide a bit more space between your car and the on coming traffic the other way. Perhaps a foot or two. This feature could be activated with a total reset of back to center after each disengagement. This would be extremely useful while on two lane roads. There are a lot of them here in Texas. Just a thought ... chime in tell me your thoughts.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And I feel just the opposite. People tend to move away from trucks when there is a perceived notion that they are too close. In general, you are normally feet apart.
And if you shy away from trucks when in a 4 lane non-divided road, you are now impinging on the right lane.

Stay in the middle of the lane!

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
And I feel just the opposite. People tend to move away from trucks when there is a perceived notion that they are too close. In general, you are normally feet apart.
And if you shy away from trucks when in a 4 lane non-divided road, you are now impinging on the right lane.

Stay in the middle of the lane!
. I agree with you on a multi lane freeway one needs to stay in the center of the lane.
But on a Two lane road with ( 2 ) Opposing lanes each going in opposite directions it’s best to give yourself as much room as possible between you and the approaching car.
The more distance between the two cars the safer one is from m a possible head on collision.

Ct200h

Country
Country
Back up camera switches off when touching other buttons on the screen . This typically happens as I am back8jg out of my garage and the homelink is out of sync or I tap navigation . The back up camera switches off.
Safety issue should stay on in reverse no matter what.