Suggestion Which software updates are you wanting/expecting from your Model 3?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Most popular features we'd like to see

• Roll up windows via remote app or keyfob

Votes: 38 18.3%
  • Stop indexing my media on the USB drive every time I get in the car. Let me chose when

Votes: 48 23.1%
  • Add the display and read of text messages

Votes: 81 38.9%
  • Button to repeat the next direction to take with the GPS

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Create an IFTTT service

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Decrease the presence of the low tire pressure notification, such as for windshield washer fluid

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • In the application, detailed log (Trips, KM, Charge, etc.)

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • In the application, display if unsecured vehicle (door(s) badly closed and/or open window(s)) etc

Votes: 59 28.4%
  • In the application, Scheduler (HVAC, Clim, Charge, etc.)

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • On voice command, change Mobile, Home, Office, etc. text by icons

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Options / Vehicule, Enable "Smart Preconditionning" (as in the X model)

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Replace Slacker with Spotify

Votes: 86 41.3%
  • Pause phone playback and stay paused

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • More voice controls for media

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Display release notes BEFORE applying the update

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • Phone push reminder if you forgot to plug in at night

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Double tap on the parking button to bring up the door controls on Model X

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Keep media tray minimized when I tell it to. It keeps popping up

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Use side cameras during parking

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Use side cameras during lane changes

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • Passenger seat position stored in driver profile

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Waypoint support in navigation

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • Allow lane change aggressively to be selectable on right scroll wheel

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Location-aware door locking setting (disable when at home)

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Alternate route support in navigation

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Add rear camera to TeslaCam

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • More sensitive automatic volume

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Faster volume control response

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Power trunk retrofit kit

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Expand driver profile to include audio settings, more preferences

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Add Waze support/integration

Votes: 23 11.1%

• Total voters

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since updating to 24.4 and just after one year of ownership and enjoyment, my wish list has changed. Instead of more gee-whiz things or practical usability items, I now wish for the following and in this order:
  1. Total elimination of what most of us here call phantom braking. This is the single biggest annoyance I have with the car and it has gotten very much worse in 24.4 than previously for me. Passengers hate it and are terrified when it occurs, and as driver I’m just fed up with it. Fix it, fix it now, or give me a work-around such as a traffic-unaware cruise control (TUCC) setting.
  2. Make AutoPark actually work for me, ever.
  3. Make my Dumb Summon actually work at all, ever.
These are all issues that seem to work for some better than others, so I’m guessing Tesla might believe there isn’t a problem. There is, and I would greatly appreciate it if these were solved for me before more goodies are delivered.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Have rest areas on interstate highways always show as an icon.

As usual, we had to consult the old Rand McNally road atlas today (2019 version) because saying "navigate to rest area on I 75" gives one a list, based only on distance from present position, with no context of direction in said list.

Also, a number of rest areas are not in the data base but clearly show on a paper road atlas.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suggest the addition of ability to set waypoints for directions. Many times I want to get somewhere but not through the route given because I may want to take a more scenic route or a less direct route through the mountains or don't want to go though a particular neighborhood.

lairdb

Country
Country
August update; observations based on 2019.24.4:

New or major changes are italicized. Lots of re-ordering.

• Meta: Adjust priorities to focus a portion on quick-and-cool functional (not game) improvements. Every update should have at least one "ooh, cool, checkitout" or "wow, that's handy" feature planned.

• TACC neighboring lane speed adjustment (car is willing to go waaay too fast even when the adjacent lane is slow or stopped. 70mph speed differentials in active traffic lanes are unsafe.)
  • TACC chill-level adjustment (I'd like it even more chill on both acceleration and deceleration)
  • EAP lane change: reduce flinch back, even at the expense of waiting longer to try. Flinch-back has convinced my wife that EAP is scary. (This has gotten enough better to strike.)
  • Operator hints replace map display in Valet mode (reddit) (This is also the best way to handle car wash mode.)
  • Aerial view for parking (even if it's got a dead zone in front; care more about sides. Besides, this could be VR interpolation where it doesn't have direct view. )
  • EAP adjust lane position to tend away from other vehicles
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without neighbor cars
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without dry-scrubbing tires
  • Adaptive brake light flash (or just modulated, though adaptive would be better, and the hardware is clearly present to do this. Yes, this is legal in the US; completely legal on the CHMSL, and arguable on the main stop lamps. CHMSL only would be fine.)
  • Open frunk with hand/arm gestures
  • Single touch to speak next navigation instruction even when instructions muted (my 2002 Lexus had this, and it's surprisingly handy)
  • Courtesy lights automatically activate when approaching parked vehicle at night
  • Cut steering wheel power when the vehicle is placed in Park after driving
  • Hands free EAP via selfie-cam (or any other way, i.e. get rid of the steering wheel torque requirement.)
  • Add Waze support/integration (view reports, submit reports)
  • Blind spot alerting audible, could include activating camera for that side, audible signal could come from the direction of danger
  • Entertainment improvements (Spotify in USA, USB fixes, control responsiveness,...)
  • Add key vehicle data to TeslaCam data stream (position, direction, speed, control state, AP state, etc. get stored in frame-level metadata)
  • EAP looks further ahead for slowing
  • EAP improve handling of lane splits and lane-gets-wider (This has gotten enough better to strike.)
  • Link driver profile automatically with driver phone/card (Said to be in 2019.28; striking this in anticipation.)
  • Audible feedback when turn signal cancelled (especially on auto-cancel)
  • Courtesy lights automatically activate when approaching parked vehicle at night
  • Backup cam, if activated by reverse, remains active until Park or Drive >7mph
  • Hill hold (i.e. prevent rollback without having to enable creep).
  • Reliable press-to-release on charge cable
  • Automatic spotting of police cars with audible alert (AP computer should be able to spot most common color schemes, right? :) Doesn't have to spot those awful pseudo-unmarked CHP cars, but normal black-and-whites should be easy.)
  • Expand driver profile to include audio settings, more preferences...
  • Performance gauges display option
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without pulling past
  • EAP responsive to lane change signalling by cars intending to enter travel lane
  • Passenger-accessible audio one-touch-mute
  • Map travel-up setting should be sticky
  • Yellow rear turn signals (yes, I suspect this is not software... but I can hope.) Confirmed hardware not present on NA models. Sad face.
  • Map recenters above audio controls when audio controls up I think this has gotten better.
  • Navigation waypoints
  • Set TACC to current speed even when below limit Workaround by setting to -20, but this could still use improvement.
  • Voice command expansion (HVAC, audio, ...)
  • Link driver profile to driver Tesla identity (i.e. across vehicles)
  • More restrictive valet mode
  • Door presentation retrofit kit
  • Wiper logic learns from driver manual actuation
  • Turn signal sound comes from activated side
  • Summon with gestures
  • Web browser Web browser that works Web browser: add personalization, including adblocks and plugins
  • Text message support for reading incoming messages and dictating new ones
  • Add all cameras to USB dashcam
  • Replace rear quarter windows with Lexan

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
August update; observations based on 2019.24.4:

New or major changes are italicized. Lots of re-ordering.

• Meta: Adjust priorities to focus a portion on quick-and-cool functional (not game) improvements. Every update should have at least one "ooh, cool, checkitout" or "wow, that's handy" feature planned.

• TACC neighboring lane speed adjustment (car is willing to go waaay too fast even when the adjacent lane is slow or stopped. 70mph speed differentials in active traffic lanes are unsafe.)
  • TACC chill-level adjustment (I'd like it even more chill on both acceleration and deceleration)
  • EAP lane change: reduce flinch back, even at the expense of waiting longer to try. Flinch-back has convinced my wife that EAP is scary. (This has gotten enough better to strike.)
  • Operator hints replace map display in Valet mode (reddit) (This is also the best way to handle car wash mode.)
  • Aerial view for parking (even if it's got a dead zone in front; care more about sides. Besides, this could be VR interpolation where it doesn't have direct view. )
  • EAP adjust lane position to tend away from other vehicles
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without neighbor cars
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without dry-scrubbing tires
  • Adaptive brake light flash (or just modulated, though adaptive would be better, and the hardware is clearly present to do this. Yes, this is legal in the US; completely legal on the CHMSL, and arguable on the main stop lamps. CHMSL only would be fine.)
  • Open frunk with hand/arm gestures
  • Single touch to speak next navigation instruction even when instructions muted (my 2002 Lexus had this, and it's surprisingly handy)
  • Cut steering wheel power when the vehicle is placed in Park after driving
  • Hands free EAP via selfie-cam (or any other way, i.e. get rid of the steering wheel torque requirement.)
  • Add Waze support/integration (view reports, submit reports)
  • Blind spot alerting audible, could include activating camera for that side, audible signal could come from the direction of danger
  • Entertainment improvements (Spotify in USA, USB fixes, control responsiveness,...)
  • Add key vehicle data to TeslaCam data stream (position, direction, speed, control state, AP state, etc. get stored in frame-level metadata)
  • EAP looks further ahead for slowing
  • EAP improve handling of lane splits and lane-gets-wider (This has gotten enough better to strike.)
  • Link driver profile automatically with driver phone/card (Said to be in 2019.28; striking this in anticipation.)
  • Audible feedback when turn signal cancelled (especially on auto-cancel)
  • Backup cam, if activated by reverse, remains active until Park or Drive >7mph
  • Hill hold (i.e. prevent rollback without having to enable creep).
  • Reliable press-to-release on charge cable
  • Automatic spotting of police cars with audible alert (AP computer should be able to spot most common color schemes, right? :) Doesn't have to spot those awful pseudo-unmarked CHP cars, but normal black-and-whites should be easy.)
  • Expand driver profile to include audio settings, more preferences...
  • Performance gauges display option
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without pulling past
  • EAP responsive to lane change signalling by cars intending to enter travel lane
  • Passenger-accessible audio one-touch-mute
  • Map travel-up setting should be sticky
  • Yellow rear turn signals (yes, I suspect this is not software... but I can hope.) Confirmed hardware not present on NA models. Sad face.
  • Map recenters above audio controls when audio controls up I think this has gotten better.
  • Navigation waypoints
  • Set TACC to current speed even when below limit Workaround by setting to -20, but this could still use improvement.
  • Voice command expansion (HVAC, audio, ...)
  • Link driver profile to driver Tesla identity (i.e. across vehicles)
  • More restrictive valet mode
  • Door presentation retrofit kit
  • Wiper logic learns from driver manual actuation
  • Turn signal sound comes from activated side
  • Summon with gestures
  • Web browser Web browser that works Web browser: add personalization, including adblocks and plugins
  • Text message support for reading incoming messages and dictating new ones
  • Add all cameras to USB dashcam
  • Replace rear quarter windows with Lexan
In my experience some of the AP behavior you asked for has gotten much better in the last couple of versions. In particular, AP seems to me to have gotten much less comfortable with big speed differentials between lane. I agree it's a good thing, but I think some people are calling that "phantom braking" when I think it's just good driving. It also seems to be better at noticing cars signalling to change in to my lane. Both those things could still use improvement, but I think they're getting there.

On the other hand, there's no sign yet of AP shifting position within the lane on the basis of surrounding vehicles or barriers...that would be a very nice improvement!

Franklin L

Country
Country
Password setting (eg pin to drive) would benefit from requiring a 2nd confirmation password when you set it (the way almost all websites do when creating a password). This will keep you from accidentally mis-typing your password when you set it. There should also be an option to see what you’re entering (again like many other websites/ apps).

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the other hand, there's no sign yet of AP shifting position within the lane on the basis of surrounding vehicles or barriers...that would be a very nice improvement!
This is my single biggest issue with AP. When a human drives they constantly adjust within the lane. If a big truck is on your right you move over a bit to the left...

Kimmo57

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Setting for tail lights on with DRL's would be nice.
Also the possibility to adjust the AP's position in the lane sidewise.

Last edited:

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Rain sensing neural net update

Elon mentioned this last year, but I don't remember seeing an update in the release notes or noticing that it was fixed.

It also kind of annoys me that they broke Santa mode with v9 update. The vehicles around you no longer turn into reindeer. Before v9 all cars/objects were the same graphic. Once they released more graphics, they broke this part of the easter egg. I was hoping they were going to fix it before last year's holiday season but they didn't. Doubtful it'll get fixed this year.

We need to get Tesla's product manager the full list from this thread! Including the votes so they can prioritize what's important to their customers.

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the navigation route screen, display estimated time at each turn, not just on the end of the route.

hanscu

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the biggest complaints about the car seems to be software features, but they can be updated over the air!! I'd like to use this thread to keep a running list of software updates that you're wanting, hoping for, or expecting based on Elon Musk's tweets/statements. So please let me know, and I'll update this post! I'll also check off items as they're updated.

Phone/Home Assistant app:
Siri integration with Model 3 phone controls
❑Google Assistant integration with Model 3 phone controls (including controls for setting the temperature)
❑Alexa support - "Alexa set car temperature to 75 degrees"

Apps:
❑Spotify
❑SiriusXM
❑iheartradio
❑Google Play Music
❑Amazon Music
❑Waze
❑Pandora
❑yelp - send location to Nav
❑functional web browser

Other:
❑Software stability - bluetooth car unlocking, etc
❑Improved voice commands (ability to control all nearly all non-driving functions of the car)
❑Full car parking view (overhead camera view)
❑Calendar integration - use destinations in calendar for Nav
❑Expanded scrollwheel functionality -
... ❑control autopilot/ACC speed
... ❑control autopilot distance
... ❑control a/c
... ❑Windshield wiper speed setting
... ❑Map zoom
... ❑Contact/phone number selection (when making a call by voice)
... ❑Contextual scrollwheel controls (depends on what you're doing and features you're using)
... ❑Full scroll wheel functionality on any menu, anywhere, using directions (up, down, left, right)
❑Pre-heat seats from phone app
❑Data displays and power usage graphs/gauges
❑Dashcam functionality / external memory camera recording
❑Useless helper characters to teach you about your car/user interface
❑Wifi
❑Option not to switch to FM when no LTE signal
❑Passenger seat/HVAC profiles (including entry); both independent and paired with driver.
❑Alternative display options for TbT directions (horizontal at bottom or vertical in left).
❑User defined scroll wheel functions
❑Ability to turn off Signature Lights while driving with headlights on (based on reports of glare when snowing).
❑Default and load/level sensing headlight adjustment options.
❑Support for Chademo adapter - assuming this is possible?
❑Rear heated seat control - is it confirmed that there are rear heated seats?
❑Phone screen/app mirroring (like Apple CarPlay/Android auto)

Wiper UI controlled by incremental slider
❑Improve backup camera quality.
❑Backup camera features: green / yellow / red backup lines, with the color determined by the distance to the closest obstacle (per the ultrasonics).
❑Improved USB playback - save the drive index so it can resume from the same place it was when the car stopped, random playback, and playlists
❑Car to car communication platform. Communicate with other vehicles directly in the area through voice commands.

Nav:
❑Improved response time + routes - Musk has already promised a "HUGE" overhaul to be released "soon"
❑Option to move some summary nav info to the left
❑Get routes and notifications from waze (police, road closures, objects in road, accidents, etc)
❑Get navigation destinations from phone's contact info

Physical controls/features:
❑keyless door locks opening from too large of a distance - has this been resolved?
autowipers do not wipe when someone opens the door - resolved.

Autopilot:
❑Less lane bouncing and smoother autopilot driving
❑summon feature
❑improve/fix lane changing
❑improve speed adjustment when others are merging onto the freeway
❑Automatically adjust to a relative speed based on the speed limit

FSD:
❑Freeways only?
❑Side roads?
❑Complete functional release

Not software upgradeable:
❑Integrated universal toll transponder (a must for true FSD) - will this require additional hardware?
❑Soft close (auto retract) frunk
❑Some method of discouraging (beforehand) use of manual door levers
❑Wiper arm servicing position which actually holds them off the glass so it doesn't take three hands to change a blade
❑Heads up Display
❑Optional keyfob
❑Cell phone mount that is near eye level
Would like to have the option between standard and Chill modes on bottom screen, this makes is easy to switch.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have not received my Model 3 yet but soon hopefully. Is it possible if a Weather Alert is issued for your location there is a indication on the screen and a way to display the details? On my wife’s Jeep with Uconnect it tells you on the screen what the Alert Is and if you select details it provides the information and overlays it on a map. Here in Oklahoma we get all kinds of severe weather.

Thank you

Mark

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It could be useful to be able to remotely access the recordings, perhaps selectively. Clearly, it would require too much bandwidth, and storage, for Tesla to upload recordings from the many Teslas.

Therefore, consider a function, wherein one could "dial up the data", to get the file(s). That might be quite handy when the USB Drive was stolen along with the car.
Of course, the informed thief might just pitch the Drive out the window.

More local Storage, within the car? A clever thief might just trigger the function to fill up the Storage.

Things do get complicated in a hurry.

I do think that Sentry is a good thing. Simple remote access may be a reasonable next step, or perhaps the ability to turn on the camera(s) to have a look.

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is my single biggest issue with AP. When a human drives they constantly adjust within the lane. If a big truck is on your right you move over a bit to the left...
I was talking about this very same issue over the weekend. On one of the highways I frequent, there's construction going on. When driving in the far left lane about 1/8th of the left side of the lane is rough or has some type of sewer grate. It would be great if you could use the scroll wheel to offset center to the right or left by inches/feet when needed. I find that in this particular case I have to turn of EAP and drive in the far right of the lane. A nice to have for sure. Not critical.