Which Keycard is which?

2xM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If we lose our keycards, how do we know which to deactivate in our car’s registered key cards list? The ID isn’t printed on the cards.

For example, we lose our wallet with key card in it. We go into the menu section to deactivate the missing card and listed are multiple key cards. Our cards don’t have anything printed on them so that we can visually check to see which ones we still have or to know ahead of time which one we carry on us.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
How about attaching a driver profile to one card for you and then create another driver profile for the other card for your wife/girlfriend/dog/etc. You may not know the serial number but you can mark the card "his" or "hers" or "woof" When you unlock the car with the card, the driver profile should change appropriately on the screen.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
How about attaching a driver profile to one card for you and then create another driver profile for the other card for your wife/girlfriend/dog/etc. You may not know the serial number but you can mark the card "his" or "hers" or "woof" When you unlock the car with the card, the driver profile should change appropriately on the screen.
errr - have you ever got your Model 3 to actually do that?
Driver profiles aren't connected to keys or phones.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
errr - have you ever got your Model 3 to actually do that?
Driver profiles aren't connected to keys or phones.
Not yet. I shouldn't have assumed you can link phonekey and keycard to driver profiles as can be done with fobs in the S/X. If it isn't a feature, it sure as heck should be.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
NFC tools looks to work, of course I drove another car today. I will edit this post when I get home to see if it matches. The app screen looks like this for my key card.
screenshot_20180718-155855_nfc-tools-jpg.11717

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK, the serial numbers detected by NFC tools do not match the numbers displayed in the car at all. They aren't even close. :(

darco

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Model 3 only briefly displayed individual identifiers next to the keys, it now no longer shows that at all. If I remember correctly, the identifier was hexadecimal (6-8 digits or so, in quote marks), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't related to the NFC address because the NFC addresses on my cards are quite similar but I remember the IDs on the screen in the car being totally different.

Anyone know how to prod their model 3 to get the key list to show those identifiers again?

darco

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The key identifier does not show up in the user interface when I use it. The UI just shows me which keys I don't have with me.

I'd like to put labels on the keys that reflect whatever identifier the Tesla service personnel will see, so that I don't have to collect all key cards for a service visit if/when I lose one, which would be very annoying.

It's frustrating because the key identifiers did show up in the UI shortly after I took possession of the car. Then they mysteriously disappeared before I could make labels. Argh!

darco

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I’m aware of that. It is clumsy and error prone if you have more than the original two cards. My frustration still stands.

BallzOne

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I have 3 cards and 2 phones enabled. I guess I’m not really sure what you’re trying to accomplish. If you lose a key today 9/17, use each of your remaining keys tomorrow 9/18, and the one that you lost will be the one in the list that doesn’t say it was used on 9/18. Isn’t that what you’re trying to figure out, which key you lost?

darco

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't lost any cards yet, but let's say I have four cards, with two of them in the possession of other people, one of whom doesn't live with me. Tracking them down to take their cards to identify the lost key is annoying and entirely avoidable if Tesla would just display the key id.

I also would like to know specifically which keys were used most recently. Was it the key I have on me, or was it the key used by someone I had given a card to? Which person's card was it? This would be easily addressed by simply identifying the keys in the UI.

That is my frustration. There seems to be no logical reason to not display this information, and indeed I've seen that the Tesla UI can display this information and is purposefully avoiding doing so.

If they would let me assign my own names to the keys in the car UI then that would be fine, too. But the last used date is really annoying: it obfuscates information that I want to know.

In any case, I guess I have the answer to my original question: No.