Which adapter do you use most with the UMC?

Which adapter do you use most often with your UMC?

• Total voters

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I first got the car, it was the 14-50. Now I have a Wall Charger and only use the UMC for traveling where most destinations only have 5-15.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After about 10 months and 8,000 miles, I’ve yet to even open my UMC. L2 wall EVSE at home and SuperChargers on the road have made it all happen very well.
False dichotomy.

I use a 6-20 adapter 99% of the time for 16A 4kw charging.
Neither, I use a 10-30 (240 volt / 30 amp breaker).
Another with a wall connector, so have not had my UMC out of the trunk yet
Yeah, you need a few more possible answers added to that poll, @GDN.

Especially the "I don't regularly use it" answer.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, you need a few more possible answers added to that poll, @GDN.

Especially the "I don't regularly use it" answer.
I guess I was being narrow minded, I wasn't as concerned with those that don't use it, nor if you bought another adapter. It does limit and maybe skew, but I really was just curious for what "used" to come in the kit, which adapter is used, if it is being used. Wasn't really concerned with other charging solutions only those that have made work with what came in the car. I could clarify the first post.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...but I really was just curious for what "used" to come in the kit, which adapter is used...
I feel that you need to include a "I don't regularly use either one" answer to fully understand why Tesla decided to stop including the 14-50.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I feel that you need to include a "I don't regularly use either one" answer to fully understand why Tesla decided to stop including the 14-50.
But then I'm not skewing the results the way I want them to go ! :)

Here is my true thought around that, I want to say Tesla doesn't know or care which adapter we are using, I believe they perhaps dropped it to push WC sales. On the other hand, they may very well know every solution and adapter we used to charge as feedback from the car. What is your thought on that? Do you think they only know at what level the charge happened at, or is there enough feedback from the charger/car to know exactly which adapter and exactly which charger, gen 1 vs gen 2, vs 3rd party adapter?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe they perhaps dropped it to push WC sales.
Do Tesla sales critters push WCs instead of explaining that an owner can just order an adapter for the MC?

Do you think they only know at what level the charge happened at, or is there enough feedback from the charger/car to know exactly which adapter and exactly which charger, gen 1 vs gen 2, vs 3rd party adapter?
The communication protocol used will tell the car the maximum charge rate that the EVSE is capable of delivering. I'm not sure what information beyond that is shared with the vehicle. It wouldn't surprise me if things like serial numbers are shared.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can I vote 5-15 120 if the only time I use it is when we go on vacation, I charge up to 80%, then lower the max SOC to 50%... then plug in with that. Other than that, I don't use either. Not sure I fit your target market here with this thread.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm good with those votes (yours and @Lovesword ). It may help me understand. It's just one small issue I have. I truly thought that the majority of people were likely using the 14-50 in NA for their charging solution, at least other than those that might have a WC installed.

I know in the local Telsa groups and Facebook pages the question is asked about 10 times a day for an electrician that can or knows how to install a 14-50 outlet. I truly still believe this is the most common profiic charging solution for the 3 in NA. So just trying to get that pulse.

You both show me that indeed you use the UMC, but don't use the 14-50, this sways more why Tesla may have stopped including it. I know this is logistics, but it is also kind of like including the 2 phone cables. Not sure why you bundle 2 cables that may or may not be useful to someone, when it would be nice to have a stock at the SC and I could be given the two cables that fit the phone I have. It's all semantics and overhead, but put the UMC in the car and then have a stock of plug in adapters at the SC's and let the owner choose the one that best fits his/her need. I know, I'm in the weeds and we are lucky they don't lose the car, much less the UMC or an adapter before delivery.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know in the local Telsa groups and Facebook pages the question is asked about 10 times a day for an electrician that can or knows how to install a 14-50 outlet. I truly still believe this is the most common profiic charging solution for the 3 in NA. So just trying to get that pulse.
A 14-50 makes the most sense, unless you already have some convenient outlet/circuit available, or you decide to shell out the money for a WC.
  • It's the standard outlet for an electric dryer nowadays, so easy to find and popular
  • It's the outlet of choice for most non-Tesla 240v EVSEs, so it makes sense as a generic, non-Tesla-specific charging solution as well.
So I think the 14-50 MC adapter is going to be much more popular than any other MC adapters. I think the issue is simply that a rather large percentage of people don't bother using their Mobile Connectors for regular charging. They install a Wall Connector. They supercharge. They charge mostly at work. They have more than one EV, and use a J1772 EVSE to charge both cars.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I need to add to my earlier comment to clarify and because I felt after rereading it that it's not 100% accurate. I bought a separate CMC and use that on a 14-50 plug, allowing me to keep the UMC that came with the car with the car. So, to be more accurate, I do not use the UMC... when I do, my above scenario is the case. Otherwise, I'm using the CMC on the 14-50.
I'm going to refrain from voting! :)

Feathermerchant

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up my car 09/28/18. I only had access to 120V so I used the 5-15. I agonized over adding a 14-50 because it is a long tortuous way from my panel, up the side of the house, thru one attic, over a ceiling and thru a second attic. Then I took a trip to visit my mother who has a 6-50 in my dad's old shop. I bought the 6-50 adapter and it worked out great. I did some research and discovered I could run a circuit thru the attic for the 6-50 easier because there is one less #6 conductor. 75ft of 6/2 Romes is heavy enough. It also made it easier to wire the 6-50 in the box. So now I use the 6-50. (I did not vote because no 6-50 option)

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you think they only know at what level the charge happened at, or is there enough feedback from the charger/car to know exactly which adapter and exactly which charger, gen 1 vs gen 2, vs 3rd party adapter?
The communication protocol used will tell the car the maximum charge rate that the EVSE is capable of delivering. I'm not sure what information beyond that is shared with the vehicle. It wouldn't surprise me if things like serial numbers are shared.
If the car is plugged into a Wall Connector or Mobile Connector, the part number for the EVSE (and adapter, if applicable) show up on the CAN bus.

So, yes, if you charge with Tesla-provided equipment, the car knows exactly what you're using. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tesla tracked charging equipment type in aggregate, nor would I be shocked if this data helped drive their decision to stop including the NEMA 14-50 adapter.