Where's my Plaid

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I ordered my S Plaid back on March 22nd and haven't heard one word from Tesla. I know there have been computer chip and 19 in. wheel supply issues and now a hold on a bunch of S's, but one would think Tesla would at least communicate with buyers what the H--- is going on. Anyone else have similar issues? I don't mind the delays (well yes I do), because I know there is nothing I can do about it. Just would like to hear from the "horses mouth" what's going on, if for no other reason, planning the disposition of the vehicle I plan to get rid of and also when to plan my vacation.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
...but one would think Tesla would at least communicate with buyers what the H--- is going on.
As others here are fond of saying, a Tesla is the best car you'll ever own, but the company's customer service experience is often terrible. They are pretty bad at communication. But as long as they're able to continue selling every vehicle they produce, they have little incentive to improve.

Sorry that you have to go through this. :(

• Agree
Reactions: TrevP

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I know someone in my area that's still waiting after ordering back in December! I want to get my hands on it for a review although it's not a plaid variant

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It sounds like the recent hold on Model S deliveries has just been lifted.
Hopefully you'll hear something soon.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I hope so too, but I doubt it. I was able to talk to someone at my local delivery facility and they said it's in the "planning stage", whatever that means. There is no VIN assigned yet, and he also said that they hadn't seen any S's come in with the 19 in. wheels, which is what I ordered for mine. I guess they say that "Patience is a virtue", so I am trying to be very virtuous right now.

Spiceisledoc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I hope so too, but I doubt it. I was able to talk to someone at my local delivery facility and they said it's in the "planning stage", whatever that means. There is no VIN assigned yet, and he also said that they hadn't seen any S's come in with the 19 in. wheels, which is what I ordered for mine. I guess they say that "Patience is a virtue", so I am trying to be very virtuous right now.
The site says that the 19“ wheels are available in August

raynewman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I ordered back in October 2020 (a Plaid); Tesla changed that to a Plaid + and now back to a Plaid.
Apparently, I'll get it late next year. But then I'm in Australia and we are normally last.

ddivinia

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Ordered in June. Just got my ViN on Friday Should see it in the next week or two.

D.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Ordered in June. Just got my ViN on Friday Should see it in the next week or two.

D.
Is yours and S Plaid? After at least a half dozen delivery date changes and removals, Saturday I received what I initially considered to be the most optimistic time frame yet.....August 13-27. That got my hopes up a bit until I looked again on Sunday and there was once again NO DATE at all. Also, still no VIN yet or no Agreement to review. So, I don't really have a clue what is going on any more than I did when I ordered it and the delivery date was 10-14 weeks......which has already past.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Today is a new day and, of course, another delivery date change. I feel like progress is being made though, as this morning I actually got an email from Tesla (my first), to let me know that my delivery date has changed yet again. I don't know if they got wind of the unhappy folks that keep getting the run around on delivery dates or they're actually working to improve their customer relations. Anyswa, the date I received on Saturday has now been changed from August 13-27th to September 12-30th. Of course no explanation was given, just the date change. Here's the email I received:

Tesla
Hi A.....,​
We’re contacting you regarding the timing of your Model S delivery, as we recently updated your Tesla Account to reflect the most accurate estimate. You may see a delay with regards to your delivery timeline.​
We understand this may be disappointing and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please continue to check your Tesla Account for any changes to your timing, which should remain updated to represent our best estimate.​
Thank you for your ongoing patience, and we look forward to delivering your Model S as soon as possible.​
Best Regards,
The Tesla Team​
Tesla | All Rights Reserved | 3500 Deer Creek Rd. Palo Alto CA 94304
Privacy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
While I agree with you, I am somewhat trying to be optimistic that they're actually trying to improve what should be an important part of their business.....taking care of their customers. I sure hope they do better if warranty work is needed......after/if delivered. I also think this new delivery date is a record. This is now the second day its been on there without either disappearing or changing. Bet that as the date start getting closer, they'll move it a month or more down the line AGAIN. I would think they're going to soon start running out of reasons (although they haven't given any thus far) to delay the build and delivery.

Supraman321

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
WTF is going on at Tesla, I ordered my Plaid Plus on announcement day, changed it to a plaid immediately when the plus was cancelled, had a July delivery date, then nothing, NOW IT SAYS FEBRUARY........ what the ever living hell is going on with them.... thats completely unacceptable, pretty frustrated by this BS. Have a full solar/triple powerwall setup, a M3 perf, an M3 long range dual motor and never had anything approaching this, pretty stupid at this point and completely inexcusable.....

I am a shareholder, a huge fan of the company and its goals, I want them to succeed but this kind of thing can't be happening like it is, issue is as one of the earliest reservation holders, I had big excitement obviously for the vehicle and it really is frustrating to hear that vehicles from orders in 2021 are getting deliveries, what was the point of reserving early....... just a terrible experience all around. Just would have loved to hear any legitimate answers as to what is happening.

Last edited:

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
WTF is going on at Tesla, I ordered my Plaid Plus on announcement day, changed it to a plaid immediately when the plus was cancelled, had a July delivery date, then nothing, NOW IT SAYS FEBRUARY........ what the ever living hell is going on with them.... thats completely unacceptable, pretty frustrated by this BS. Have a full solar/triple powerwall setup, a M3 perf, an M3 long range dual motor and never had anything approaching this, pretty stupid at this point and completely inexcusable.....

I am a shareholder, a huge fan of the company and its goals, I want them to succeed but this kind of thing can't be happening like it is, issue is as one of the earliest reservation holders, I had big excitement obviously for the vehicle and it really is frustrating to hear that vehicles from orders in 2021 are getting deliveries, what was the point of reserving early....... just a terrible experience all around. Just would have loved to hear any legitimate answers as to what is happening.
With all your past Tesla experience, I would have thought the "top-notch" customer service would be old hat for you. As long as Tesla continues to have customers waiting for product, Tesla has small incentive to improve the buying experience. And since it appears that it will be years before Tesla has viable competition on a large scale, I can't see much changing in the near future. So....nothing to do but sit and wait or cancel your order. I seriously doubt that Tesla cares much which you do.

• Agree
Reactions: garsh and Klaus-rf

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

You left out the part where they increased the quoted price of the Plaid+ by $15K before cancelling it and "converting" all "Plaid+" orders into "Plaid" orders. And how the Plaids suddenly got 0.23 seconds slower in the stated 1/4 mile performance spec.

Last edited:

Supraman321

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
With all your past Tesla experience, I would have thought the "top-notch" customer service would be old hat for you. As long as Tesla continues to have customers waiting for product, Tesla has small incentive to improve the buying experience. And since it appears that it will be years before Tesla has viable competition on a large scale, I can't see much changing in the near future. So....nothing to do but sit and wait or cancel your order. I seriously doubt that Tesla cares much which you do.
Yeah, realistically, it wasn't "smooth sailing" for the previous purchases but all in all I would have said it was better than a traditional car buying experience and even the solar setup wasn't too bad in terms of service, I had pretty regular contact with a Tesla rep and they kept me updated as things moved along. This whole Plaid Model S experience is several orders of magnitude worse. I don't want to come off as entitled since I'm buying expensive "luxury" goods as all I'm concerned about here ultimately is how piss poor of an experience this is for someone that is less understanding of the companies overall good intentions and instead will miss out on the best vehicle in the world (I can't deny that, it really is an insane product that I didn't think would have ever existed in my lifetime).

• Agree
Reactions: FRC

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree. That's actually a big part of the problem. The product is so insanely good, that otherwise intelligent people are willing to slog through lousy customer service to wait in line to plunk down huge dollars. Where, then, is Tesla's incentive to improve? Talk about insane...ludicrous...

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just saw a couple of Plaids for the first time at Tesla in Roswell GA today. The associate said they were held back from delivery due to some backordered part, but he would not elaborate. I'll say this, the black plaid with cream interior is sharp! Tempted, tempted...