Where to install toll box / FasTrak / EZPass?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, @MelindaV found the recommended location in an updated version of the owner's manual.
the latest version of the manual also showed toll transponders work best to the right of the mirror

Alternately, someone on TMC said that they've attached theirs to the glass roof.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm kind of liking that roof-mount idea. I want to mount a dashcam to the right of the mirror, so it could get a little crowded with a transponder there too.

I don't understand why the transponders are so large. They should be able to make them not much larger than whatever battery it requires.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, @MelindaV found the recommended location in an updated version of the owner's manual.

Alternately, someone on TMC said that they've attached theirs to the glass roof.
This is perfect as that’s always my preferred location. The rear view mirror blocks it from sight!

mishakim

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm kind of liking that roof-mount idea. I want to mount a dashcam to the right of the mirror, so it could get a little crowded with a transponder there too.

I don't understand why the transponders are so large. They should be able to make them not much larger than whatever battery it requires.
In Texas they're just a sticker, but I'm not sure if that means it's a long-range reader-powered RFID, or has a really flat battery in it.
For the bulky EZPass transponders, there could be a desire to make it seem more substantial than it actually needs to be, for consumer acceptance. At a minimum, I think the bulge for the battery is stretched across the whole package.

ölbrenner

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For Fastrak in California, I just leave it in my glove or center console box. When it is not picked up by the sensors, they just bill your account through your license plate.
AND you don't get the FastTrak discount then. Adds up after a while (ask me how I know).

There's also the thing about if you are using a FastTrak transponder, and it is not placed per CA law, you are open to citation for it. Probably not enforced at all, but if the cop is writing a ticket for speeding anyways....

I don't recall Texas having such codes when I lived there (though they do have strict instructions on where it must be placed).

Last edited:

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For CA Fastrak I just throw it on the dash (driver's side corner) and it's been picked up with no problems. Also have seen it attached to the left or right of rear mirror with no issues.

Country
Country
For Fastrak in California, I just leave it in my glove or center console box. When it is not picked up by the sensors, they just bill your account through your license plate.
You've got it easy in CA.

Not so nice on the East Coast here. The traditional toll box mount on my 2017 MS has been unreliable and I've gotten, at best, nasty-grams from Virginia EZ-pass system and at worst, outrageous not-easily-disputable penalty charges from Delaware EZ-pass.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So here's an interesting question....

Like Rich above (6 months ago...zombie thread!) I have a Model S. I got the "Twinkie" (exterior/license plate mount) EZ Pass, and with my 3 coming in August or September, I don't want to switch back, nor do I want to put it on my front plate anymore.

Is there somewhere (maybe the underside of the frunk) that I could mount it and have it still work? Or will I either have to mount it on the plate, or revert to a window-mount pass?

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wondering how it world work attached to the back side of the screen...it would totally be out of the way there.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I mounted the FasTrak box to the right of the rear view mirror. Works fine and I can hardly see it. It's the new small style that has switches for the express lanes. With my carpool stickers I can leave it set for 3 people :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I mounted the FasTrak box to the right of the rear view mirror. Works fine and I can hardly see it. It's the new small style that has switches for the express lanes. With my carpool stickers I can leave it set for 3 people :)

I don't have that one, and don't want to go back to it, though.

Guess I'll have to figure it out in a few months.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This thread made me remember I've got to cancel my 15 express lane account now.

No need for it anymore with the carpool lane stickers!

Thanks guys!

rlb4

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a reason why it wouldn't work if placed to the left of the rear view mirror or anywhere else on the front windshield?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a reason why it wouldn't work if placed to the left of the rear view mirror or anywhere else on the front windshield?

In a Model 3, it will work there.

Unfortunately in my situation, I have an AP1 Model S. Back in that era, they windshield was made with a UV film to it that was not conducive to RF of any kind passing through "cleanly". So radar detectors and EZ-Pass transponders are hit or miss.

To counter that, I got "the Twinkie" from MassDOT. That's the external-mount (usually on the license plate) transponder.

Now that I will be switching to a Model 3, I was asking if there were any recommendations for mounting the twinkie out of sight.

I believe I'm going to put it on the underside of the frunk lid, because I don't want it to be seen.

#FirstWorldProblems

kupua

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Where to install FasTrak toll box... I have tint all around? Llumar CTX.

I'm considering the drivers side black part of the dash but kinda think ugly. What did you who also have tint do?

Eric714

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
RTFM. :)

You didn't specify the model. But check the owners manual - it will show you the best location. I think next to the rearview mirror is best.

But I suppose you're concerned about the tint. My brother-in-law worked for the tollway in IL. I was talking to him about my TollPass battery dying. He said that every booth has cameras and they will use your plate to bill you. If you get too many of those, they send you a message that your battery is dead. So, I wouldn't sweat it - as long as you have your plate registered to your pass.

Fishn4life

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have mine under the glass roof between the front & back seat (middle). I've never had it not work and it's out of the way.