Where exactly is the microphone?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been getting complaints that on Bluetooth calls I am hard to hear from the other party.
iPhone 8 plus and had no similar complaints in my Volt.
Is there a separate control somewhere for mic volume?
Also this happens around town as well as at freeway speeds.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been getting complaints that on Bluetooth calls I am hard to hear from the other party.
iPhone 8 plus and had no similar complaints in my Volt.
Is there a separate control somewhere for mic volume?
Also this happens around town as well as at freeway speeds.
It’s here.

You may want to ask service to take a look at your connections there. One of my friends with a Model 3 also had this issue. They sounded like they were underwater or far away on phone calls.

Country
Country
Seen this mentioned elsewhere, it might be a bluetooth issue. Definitely mention to the SC and see what they say. I think it is a known issue with iPhones. Couple of things to try:

1) Turn off contacts syncing with the car (bluetooth settings on your phone)
2) If you own an Apple Watch, try unpairing it
3) Remove and add the Bluetooth connection in settings on both devices.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have this same issue. I’m 6’3” and my seating position puts my head about or just behind the b-pillar. When I make calls I have been told it’s hard to hear me, but if I lean forward then they can.

Most other car mfg that I’ve seen seem to put the mic just above the left of your head, above the driver’s door. This seems to make more sense and definitely works better.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
People frequently say I’m too soft in the remote end. Usually there is an output volume setting that can be upped for each Bluetooth connection. Is that somewhere hidden on the model 3

M3xtr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife complains that I sound too quiet as well and that didn't happen in my Prius using the same phone. I did have the car in for service and mentioned it and they said updating the firmware might solve the problem (but it didn't). I'd be interested to know of any fix or tips anyone has...

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife complains that I sound too quiet as well and that didn't happen in my Prius using the same phone. I did have the car in for service and mentioned it and they said updating the firmware might solve the problem (but it didn't). I'd be interested to know of any fix or tips anyone has...
Yes no luck on mine either.
When I was in they plugged a laptop into the car and ran some sort of update but I still get complaints and now the person on the other end says they hear themselves echoing.

Hedwig

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am getting the same complaints--I am hard to hear and that sometimes either I, or the other person, echos--though I have no solution (yet). Just nice to know I am not the only one! Using an iPhone 6. Thanks for the tips, above. I just un-synced my contacts.

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an IPhone and I had similar issues (other party complains of echos and hard to hear me). I tried turning off "Phone Noise Cancellation" (Settings->General->Accessibility->Phone Noise Cancellation->Off) and I haven't had anybody complain about it since.

compu85

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The few times I used the bluetooth I found it worked well, no complaints from the other end. In fact they said it sounded better than some of our other cars.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an IPhone and I had similar issues (other party complains of echos and hard to hear me). I tried turning off "Phone Noise Cancellation" (Settings->General->Accessibility->Phone Noise Cancellation->Off) and I haven't had anybody complain about it since.
My sister a while back had a very similar issue with her iphone (I can’t recall if it was only in her car or not) but after some digging we turned off that same option and it fixed it.

I never had the issue in my Jeep with it on. But I’m gonna try turning it off. My wife says I keep getting “cut off” as if noise cancelation was over zealous. So perhaps this might do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope it works.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
No one seems to know the answer to the original question. I haven't been getting any complaints but i would like to know where to direct my voice to for the best sound. So where is the microphone? In the mirror?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No one seems to know the answer to the original question. I haven't been getting any complaints but i would like to know where to direct my voice to for the best sound. So where is the microphone? In the mirror?
It’s in the 2nd post.

It’s that grill on ceiling in front of rear view mirror.