Where do I find help

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd been talking with my customer service rep for weeks about how to buy a special off menu performance model 3. They found one for me in Kansas City Missouri, and my local rep called me to tell me about the price drop, and that I should move forward with the purchase we'd been talking about for so long. I bought a plane ticket and went to got it, and then 3-4 weeks later I realized they DIDN'T deliver the performance engine we'd all been talking about. EVERY party involved knew that I was flying there to get a performance car. At some point along the way they DISABLED the performance engine, and now refuse to unlock it on the computer unless I pay then 2k+ more money. Not only do I feel embarrassed for showing off my performance engine to my friends for several weeks (purely placebo), but I also feel swindled. They pulled a switch on me and everybody knew what I was understood to be buying. The final frustrating part is that I can't get anyone with any power to talk to me. They send me to the general customer service line, where you can easily spend half an hour on hold first, and then after you're finally talking to a person, NO ONE knows who to send you to talk to. What should I do? I love my car, but the customer service (both on our tesla cars and solar panels) have been horrendous. Does anyone know anyone of any actual power than I can call and talk to, someone who can help me get something done?

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, let me first welcome you here to the forum, but sorry to see it under such a bad situation for you. I think we might not have all the answers, but can potentially help out a bit here with some decoding... meaning, can you provide some of your VIN? I think we have some sleuths here that can decipher what your exact car is based on that (you could put an XXX the last 3 digits or so if you don’t want to share it, most don’t like to and I understand that).
Some more questions if you don’t mind answering.
What about your car tipped you off that you do not have a Performance model?
Do you have the 20” wheels?
Red brakes?
Does your screen say Dual Motor with a red underline?
These above are some easy visual queues, but there’s also the “stealth” Performance that have the 18” wheels, no red brakes...but will straight up smoke all other cars off the line!
Ok, well, again I’m sorry to see that your first join and post here were in search of a solution to a problem, but I do hope you feel welcome and please know that, even though we’re just fellow owners, we want to try and help and support you.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no special off menu performance model 3. There’s only one variant of the P3 and it’s listed on their site. Not sure what you thought you were getting, but it should of been listed on your order form. That order form is what you ordered and exactly what you got.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no special off menu performance model 3. There’s only one variant of the P3 and it’s listed on their site. Not sure what you thought you were getting, but it should of been listed on your order form. That order form is what you ordered and exactly what you got.
Can’t get stealth 3s anymore? I had missed that... 😞

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no special off menu performance model 3. There’s only one variant of the P3 and it’s listed on their site.
Not true. Tesla still has some "stealth" performance cars available from time to time. I just met someone this weekend who had bought one a month ago with a VIN in the four-hundred thousands.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your experience. Just to make sure you’re in on the Tesla lingo, the car is said to have dual motors but no engine.

To the point at hand though. What did/does your documentation say? Before you flew out to pickup the car I would expect that you would have seen documentation to secure your finances.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'd been talking with my customer service rep for weeks about how to buy a special off menu performance model 3.
Welcome to the Tesla family, where we love our cars but sometimes have to bang our head against the wall when dealing with the company. They are a young organization that are trying to do things differently, but there are still a lot of kinks in the system.

I am unsure what you meant by off-menu. That term is usually used to refer to options that can be special ordered but are not available in the online configurator. Getting silver paint or the base standard range model are examples. None of us know for sure what is currently available off-menu until someone reports on successfully ordering/receiving it.

There are also inventory vehicles that might be described as off-menu, as Tesla has more than they show online. Not likely that an inventory vehicle will have off-menu options, though, as those have to be special ordered.

Special pricing is rarely done (supposedly never done) unless it is a demo or the very end of the financial quarter, which it wasn’t 4 weeks ago. But they were offering you something special enough that caused you to spend time and money to fly to go get it.

So, like others have expressed above, I think it would help to understand a bit more about what you had in written form about what you were getting versus what you did get.

BTW I have a non-performance AWD and can easily induce the Tesla grin in passengers (and myself). I don’t think I could handle any more acceleration than I already have. 😁

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not true. Tesla still has some "stealth" performance cars available from time to time. I just met someone this weekend who had bought one a month ago with a VIN in the four-hundred thousands.
If that’s true, than I’m seriously going to consider upgrading my wife’s CRV for a Pilot instead of the Y. I tried to get the the LR AWD model with just the increased acceleration. I don’t need larger brakes, have no use for the pedals/spoiler, and HATE larger wheels. The extra $5k also sucked ($7k considering I have to spend another $2k for extra set of wheels for winter cause 20s won’t survive a single a Chicago winter). This is the type of dealer BS I thought I got away from when going with Tesla.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Should I post my vin publicly? Is that safe? If it can get me help then I guess I could...

I found out a couple of weeks after bringing it home by clicking the T on the screen and looking at the specs that it reports there. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't saying "performance" as it should, so I contacted them.

No, I don't have the performance wheels. I didn't want them. That's why they did the search around the nation to find an inventory car that had performance engine without the wheel package. They do make them, but they're off-menu.

I spoke with some of those involved today (but have no power) and they ADMITTED they screwed up, and through a system error the performance engine got turned off. They didn't know, and totally THOUGHT they were delivering me a performance engine. Since they ADMIT they made a mistake, it doesn't make sense to me why they won't make it right. My goal is to be able to talk to someone with some measure of power. I can't take no from someone that doesn't even have the power to say yes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, if you talk with customer service they can definitely help you find performance cars without performance wheels. It's an off menu combo that really does exist.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your experience. Just to make sure you’re in on the Tesla lingo, the car is said to have dual motors but no engine.

To the point at hand though. What did/does your documentation say? Before you flew out to pickup the car I would expect that you would have seen documentation to secure your finances.
-Ha, thanks. Yeah it has dual performance motors, just they are computer disabled. It can do 0-60 in 4.4, not 3.2... or something like that.

I didn't know how my documentation SHOULD have read because it was custom, but every party involved fully understood what I was buying. They even admitted to me today that everyone involved THOUGHT they were delivering me a performance enabled engine, but a system error turned it off. Now, even though they admit they made a mistake, still want me to pay them 2k more.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to the Tesla family, where we love our cars but sometimes have to bang our head against the wall when dealing with the company. They are a young organization that are trying to do things differently, but there are still a lot of kinks in the system.

I am unsure what you meant by off-menu. That term is usually used to refer to options that can be special ordered but are not available in the online configurator. Getting silver paint or the base standard range model are examples. None of us know for sure what is currently available off-menu until someone reports on successfully ordering/receiving it.

There are also inventory vehicles that might be described as off-menu, as Tesla has more than they show online. Not likely that an inventory vehicle will have off-menu options, though, as those have to be special ordered.

Special pricing is rarely done (supposedly never done) unless it is a demo or the very end of the financial quarter, which it wasn’t 4 weeks ago. But they were offering you something special enough that caused you to spend time and money to fly to go get it.

So, like others have expressed above, I think it would help to understand a bit more about what you had in written form about what you were getting versus what you did get.

BTW I have a non-performance AWD and can easily induce the Tesla grin in passengers (and myself). I don’t think I could handle any more acceleration than I already have. 😁
=Haha, right... and that's what I did for 2-3 weeks. No one had a stopwatch out, so they all said "cool, this thing is FAST." Still, performance motor is the specific thing I flew across the country to pick up though, so...

As for the other questions, I think I answered those in above replies, but lmk if I didn't.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If that’s true, than I’m seriously going to consider upgrading my wife’s CRV for a Pilot instead of the Y. I tried to get the the LR AWD model with just the increased acceleration. I don’t need larger brakes, have no use for the pedals/spoiler, and HATE larger wheels. The extra $5k also sucked ($7k considering I have to spend another $2k for extra set of wheels for winter cause 20s won’t survive a single a Chicago winter). This is the type of dealer BS I thought I got away from when going with Tesla.
It's true, you can get that motor/wheel combo. I was reading that Tesla's performance tires wear out faster, and are MUCH more expensive when you do change them. Cost of ownership matters to me, and I didn't want any part of that. What's more, I don't know what I'd need drag strip wheels for anyway. I'm locked in the city all week.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
-Ha, thanks. Yeah it has dual performance motors, just they are computer disabled. It can do 0-60 in 4.4, not 3.2... or something like that.

I didn't know how my documentation SHOULD have read because it was custom, but every party involved fully understood what I was buying. They even admitted to me today that everyone involved THOUGHT they were delivering me a performance enabled engine, but a system error turned it off. Now, even though they admit they made a mistake, still want me to pay them 2k more.
I’m still confused here though — what did the paperwork say? Your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (MVPA) would specify every feature on the car along with the price for the feature leading up to a total price. I’m not questioning that someone botched something along the way and made a promise that wasn’t fulfilled, but accidents happen and paperwork is always the equalizer when it comes to what should have been. Sorry you’re going through this!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Should I post my vin publicly? Is that safe? If it can get me help then I guess I could...

I found out a couple of weeks after bringing it home by clicking the T on the screen and looking at the specs that it reports there. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't saying "performance" as it should, so I contacted them.

No, I don't have the performance wheels. I didn't want them. That's why they did the search around the nation to find an inventory car that had performance engine without the wheel package. They do make them, but they're off-menu.

I spoke with some of those involved today (but have no power) and they ADMITTED they screwed up, and through a system error the performance engine got turned off. They didn't know, and totally THOUGHT they were delivering me a performance engine. Since they ADMIT they made a mistake, it doesn't make sense to me why they won't make it right. My goal is to be able to talk to someone with some measure of power. I can't take no from someone that doesn't even have the power to say yes.
Yeah, some don't like to post their VIN online, and others argue "your VIN is visible 24/7 on your car!" so I'm not sure which way is "right"... but I tend to lean slightly towards the first and XXX the last 3 of my car if/when I ever post.
Mainly it's the first portions of your VIN that would be helpful, like on this website: https://driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And to @SoFlaModel3’s point, posting an image of your purchase agreement would be helpful, with or without the vin
Out of curiousity, I just looked up my MVPA. I purchased a stealth P3D one year ago. The second charge shown on my purchase agreement is "Long Range All Wheel Drive Performance $29,000". If your MVPA indicates Performance, Tesla will eventually correct their error. If it doesn't, prepare yourself for a difficult fight.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Their system has a glitch that went in and deactivated the performance motor we were dealing with. It's not on the MVPA, but there was no indication that it SHOULD have been on there. I just trusted them that the way it read was the way it was supposed to read. I was told I was getting a custom, off-menu car. They admit they THOUGHT they were giving me the enabled performance motor they told me, and thought that's what I was driving off the lot with. The first person to discover I didn't get performance enabled was me. They admit they made a mistake now.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No. :-( They want me to pay 2k more.

And to clarify, I (or even my reps I guess) didn't know we were supposed to see a la carte itemization for this product, so we weren't looking to see the performance listed. I would have held their feet to the fire if I had known to be on the watch for that.