Where did you install your rear-view dash cam?

raptor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Like many of us, I'm trying to install a dash cam in my vehicle. Oddly enough, the location of the rear-view camera has been the biggest issue for me, thanks to the unique defroster lines design, and the all glass roof.

I would greatly appreciate if you could take a few minutes and post a pic taken using your rear-view dash cam, and mentioned the manufacturer/model/location.

I'll start:

Manufacturer: Viofo
Model: A129 Duo
Pros: capture objects low to the ground
Cons: glare, interference from defroster lines, limited field of view
Fix: going to try the Viofo CPL once available

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thinkware F800 Pro, center low

Pros: minimal rear-view obstruction, cable routes and hides well, symmetry, centered view, minimal defroster line interference, minimal glare
Cons: lose a little visibility of close low-to-ground objects vs a higher position in the window

vlcsnap-2018-08-21-16h19m02s384-png.13434

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thinkware F800 Pro, center low

Pros: minimal rear-view obstruction, cable routes and hides well, symmetry, centered view, minimal defroster line interference, minimal glare
Cons: lose a little visibility of close low-to-ground objects vs a higher position in the window

View attachment 13434
this is what I am planning (i think, at least for now it is). My thought is it is to capture possible traffic and people walking around the car in the event of some damage. If someone is crawling up next to the bumper, they can carry on without being filmed.
Could you take a pix showing where it is mounted? is it adhered to the rear window 'shelf' instead of directly on the glass?

raptor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this is what I am planning (i think, at least for now it is). My thought is it is to capture possible traffic and people walking around the car in the event of some damage. If someone is crawling up next to the bumper, they can carry on without being filmed.
Could you take a pix showing where it is mounted? is it adhered to the rear window 'shelf' instead of directly on the glass?
That was my plan as well. But once I started testing various camera locations, I noticed that the license plate of the vehicle behind me would no longer be visible when mounting center low. And if you're counting on catching the plate when the vehicle is a little farther away (before incident), you may not have the right focus/exposure settings.

Cable management was my other concern, but that's due to the design of my rear dash cam.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
is it adhered to the rear window 'shelf' instead of directly on the glass?
No, it's on the glass- it's difficult to fill the field-of-view if you mount it much lower than where I have it. Here's an outside pic, as well as a couple views from the driver's seat- one straight back, and one from the rear-view mirror. I don't find the placement annoying at all- I don't even notice it anymore in the rear-view mirror.

img_20180821_180159-jpg.13441
img_20180821_180228-jpg.13442
img_20180821_180250-jpg.13443

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That was my plan as well. But once I started testing various camera locations, I noticed that the license plate of the vehicle behind me would no longer be visible when mounting center low. And if you're counting on catching the plate when the vehicle is a little farther away (before incident), you may not have the right focus/exposure settings.

Cable management was my other concern, but that's due to the design of my rear dash cam.
Yeah, I played with several locations as well before committing to what I did. Ultimately, any of the high locations that gave me (only slightly) better visibility of a plate right behind me were potential bump-hazards for people/cargo, and also sucked for cable management (and sometimes driver annoyance). The rear window design and high butt on this car make it difficult to get a good up-close low view from any position, short of mounting it outside...

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Blackvue. Lens in the center. Mounting pad just below the 5’th defroster line. Image catches a bit of the car but not badly at all. Tried it lower initially and raised it twice.

96ecc472-ed2d-4efd-b71d-598954904ca4-jpeg.13511

1e593f24-87b9-4311-bc76-9cc49d48ba0a-jpeg.13510

Front:

5fbb7fd4-af2f-48bc-8131-e174099de9e5-jpeg.13512

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is a really big transponder beside the mirror. Had to Google 407 ETR, but it took me right to it.

TMK26

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it possible to install the rear camera on the glass roof directly behind the bar that separates the front glass and the rear glass? This will give a good field of view and will be less noticeable.

I don't have the car yet, but looking at pictures of the interior it seems like it could be possible.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it possible to install the rear camera on the glass roof directly behind the bar that separates the front glass and the rear glass? This will give a good field of view and will be less noticeable.
Not really- the further forward you put it, the more likely its view is to be obscured by rear passengers' heads, plus the factory tint polarization makes the upper part of the window nearly opaque at that viewing angle (you can sort of see what I mean if you look at my middle picture above).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That would be my preference. I'll be trying it there if nobody else has.
Not really- the further forward you put it, the more likely its view is to be obscured by rear passengers' heads, plus the factory tint polarization makes the upper part of the window nearly opaque at that viewing angle (you can sort of see what I mean if you look at my middle picture above).
1) Nobody's going to sit in that middle seat. Nobody tall anyhow.
2) I am worried about the rake of the glass at that position, plus the factory tint.

raptor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I don't have the car yet, but looking at pictures of the interior it seems like it could be possible.
I've tried it (it really would be the perfect location), the problem is auto exposure. It adjusts for exposure for inside the cabin, so the outside won't be visible. Even if you could get around that, you may run into focus issues.

Last but not least, the tinted roof is a major issue as well.

It's a common issue with dash cams.

TMK26

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've tried it (it really would be the perfect location), the problem is auto exposure. It adjusts for exposure for inside the cabin, so the outside won't be visible. Even if you could get around that, you may run into focus issues.

Last but not least, the tinted roof is a major issue as well.

It's a common issue with dash cams.
I currently have 30% tint on my back window and don’t have any problems with my BlackVue 750 camera recording. All I had to do was turn up the brightness a bit.
I’ll give a test when I pick up the car in 2 weeks.

Defjukie

Country
Country
That would be my preference. I'll be trying it there if nobody else has.

1) Nobody's going to sit in that middle seat. Nobody tall anyhow.
2) I am worried about the rake of the glass at that position, plus the factory tint.
I've seen a photo someone posted with the rear cam mounted up high, and they had tons of reflections from the interior of the car on the rear glass.

autospy

Country
Country
No, it's on the glass- it's difficult to fill the field-of-view if you mount it much lower than where I have it. Here's an outside pic, as well as a couple views from the driver's seat- one straight back, and one from the rear-view mirror. I don't find the placement annoying at all- I don't even notice it anymore in the rear-view mirror.

View attachment 13441
Blackvue. Lens in the center. Mounting pad just below the 5’th defroster line. Image catches a bit of the car but not badly at all. Tried it lower initially and raised it twice.

View attachment 13511
hello @Sandy and @Matt Davis,
I am able to get my rear camera wire all the way back to the trunk, but its not obvious how to get the wire to come up out of the trunk where you have it. Did you remove that large grill piece? How do you remove it?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
hello @Sandy and @Matt Davis,
I am able to get my rear camera wire all the way back to the trunk, but its not obvious how to get the wire to come up out of the trunk where you have it. Did you remove that large grill piece? How do you remove it?
you can see in sandy's photo, the cable is just tucked along the glass and trim to the left of the camera

autospy

Country
Country
you can see in sandy's photo, the cable is just tucked along the glass and trim to the left of the camera
There is no space to tuck the wire in on my car.

edit: nevermind, I see the wire in the picture. its not really tucked in -- its just sitting on top there. I was hoping for something a little cleaner.