Where did everyone take their 3 for initial inspection?

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As I understand it, Tesla delivery centers do not inspect cars :)mad:), so after delivery I have to (take more time off and) go to an inspection station/mechanic to get my initial inspection and stickers. Is there a particular chain they recommend? My usual mom-n-pop shop and dealer quick service places may not know what to do with a 3.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m actually not sure what you mean here? Are you talking about the emissions checks that some states do?

In Florida, I didn’t have to do anything...

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In Texas, all cars have to be inspected. Electric one should too. I pick up my 3 on Monday and they put the inspection cost on the paperwork and I already paid, so I am expecting an inspection sticker on the windshield when I pick it up.
Adding that to the delivery checklist now

Archer

Country
Country
In Texas, all cars have to be inspected. Electric one should too. I pick up my 3 on Monday and they put the inspection cost on the paperwork and I already paid, so I am expecting an inspection sticker on the windshield when I pick it up.
Adding that to the delivery checklist now
Did you already receive the package to sign and send back? It’s supposed to arrive around your delivery date.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you already receive the package to sign and send back? It’s supposed to arrive around your delivery date.
Ya know, you mentioned that before. I signed the documents online. Electronically like they do when you buy a house now. I asked my ISA about that and he said I do not have anything to sign and send back. He said they would have all the docs at delivery.
Can you tell me what docs they say you need to sign and send back?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m actually not sure what you mean here? Are you talking about the emissions checks that some states do?
Pennsylvania has annual vehicle inspections. They check basic vehicle safety, like your brake pads, tire tread, all lights working, etc. @Rich M, I think you would be fine to take it to anyplace you trust. You could ask the delivery center if they can recommend anybody.

Some counties in PA also have annual emissions inspections. I live in a county that does not, so I haven't had to deal with that. I tried looking up some documentation, and I didn't find anything specific about EVs. But it sounds like exempt cars might still have to get an emissions sticker.

Archer

Country
Country
Pennsylvania has annual vehicle inspections. They check basic vehicle safety, like your brake pads, tire tread, all lights working, etc. @Rich M, I think you would be fine to take it to anyplace you trust. You could ask the delivery center if they can recommend anybody.

Some counties in PA also have annual emissions inspections. I live in a county that does not, so I haven't had to deal with that. I tried looking up some documentation, and I didn't find anything specific about EVs. But it sounds like exempt cars might still have to get an emissions sticker.
Texas does too and Tesla takes care of it.

Archer

Country
Country
Ya know, you mentioned that before. I signed the documents online. Electronically like they do when you buy a house now. I asked my ISA about that and he said I do not have anything to sign and send back. He said they would have all the docs at delivery.
Can you tell me what docs they say you need to sign and send back?
I actually called my ISA yesterday to ask about it since I haven’t received it yet, although my delivery isn’t until the 27th. He told me that the package should arrive a few days before my scheduled pickup. That the package would contain Texas registration paperwork to sign for plates and inspection. But even if it arrived late, it wouldn’t delay my delivery.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually called my ISA yesterday to ask about it since I haven’t received it yet, although my delivery isn’t until the 27th. He told me that the package should arrive a few days before my scheduled pickup. That the package would contain Texas registration paperwork to sign for plates and registration. But even if it arrived late, it wouldn’t delay my delivery.
Hummm. I asked my ISA Andres directly about that DMV paperwork and he said the delivery center would have it. I wonder if since they updated the process for Texas if your ISA hasn’t gotten the message. Guess I will see on Monday what up with that.

Archer

Country
Country
Hummm. I asked my ISA Andres directly about that DMV paperwork and he said the delivery center would have it. I wonder if since they updated the process for Texas if your ISA hasn’t gotten the message. Guess I will see on Monday what up with that.
Yea. Keep me posted so I’m not going crazy expecting a package that will never arrive.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As I understand it, Tesla delivery centers do not inspect cars :)mad:)
Is your "delivery center" the Devon service center? I'm surprised that they wouldn't also handle the state inspection. It's not at all hard to get a license to perform a state inspection. My grandfather used to have one.

Archer

Country
Country
By was this moved!? It deals with everyone, not just NE folks. This is probably the end for me on this forums. Tired of everything getting buried in subforums when it was just fine where it was as it deals with delivery.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
By was this moved!? It deals with everyone, not just NE folks. This is probably the end for me on this forums. Tired of everything getting buried in subforums when it was just fine where it was as it deals with delivery.
You are correct. Actually, IMHO, first inspection fits best in the newly added Maintenance & Repairs.

Hope this helps, Archer, and don’t get discouraged, we are trying to walk a fine line between a minimum amount of structure & organization and Orwellian nitpickiness... Remember, we are just human beings, not AI super robots! ;)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You are correct. Actually, IMHO, first inspection fits best in the newly added Maintenance & Repairs.
Actually, "initial inspection" is more of a delivery issue. It is neither a maintenance item, nor a repair. It's something that a state may require of a brand-new vehicle. It is usually already handled by the dealer before taking ownership of a new car.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Apologies archer - at the time, I’d only seen this was discussing PA

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
In PA, there are 2 state inspections - a general safety one and an emissions inspection. There are many exemptions for the emissions inspection, including living in a rural (enough) zip code and electric vehicles. The state of PA won’t authorize an inspection center for only one of the inspections, they have to be licensed to do both. The emissions equipment is expensive, Teslas don’t need that inspection, so Tesla service centers do not have it and are therefore not able to do any state inspections in PA. Owners in PA must take their car somewhere else within 30 days of getting the car for the state safety inspection.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The state of PA won’t authorize an inspection center for only one of the inspections, they have to be licensed to do both.
Ah, that must have been the point at which my grandfather stopped being a licensed state inspector - when emissions inspections were introduced. :)