When multiple cars share the App

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It doesn't auto lock on walk away?
This isn't the exact example you are referring to, but on iOS if I unlock one car in the garage to get something out and then switch cars in the app and unlock the second car, when I walk away only the second car is going to lock with Walk Away Lock. It doesn't know where I am or that I've walked away for the first car because I changed it in the app. This is definitely another reason this needs some different logic.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
It doesn't auto lock on walk away?
I don’t know anything about the NFC technology. Is it emulating the key card? If so, walk away lock doesn’t work with the key card. And taking off on another permutation of @GDN’s example, if I hang around the vicinity of the car too long after arriving home, walk away lock doesn’t work when I finally do walk away.

Reactions: 1 person

davidviolin

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Weird. I just tried on my car. Turned off BT, unlocked the car with NFC, started the car w NFC. Then turned on Bluetooth and let car connect to phone while driving. Car locked itself when I walked away.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Weird. I just tried on my car. Turned off BT, unlocked the car with NFC, started the car w NFC. Then turned on Bluetooth and let car connect to phone while driving. Car locked itself when I walked away.
I'm not sure what is weird about this - it had communication with your Bluetooth - you got out of the car - it knew no one was inside and you walked away. This is how it should work, it won't matter how it was unlocked.

The same is true on the opposite side, walk up and unlock with your bluetooth and then turn your bluetooth off. When you park, get out and walk away, your car will not lock.

The unlock and lock are not related.

Reactions: 1 person

davidviolin

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm not sure what is weird about this - it had communication with your Bluetooth - you got out of the car - it knew no one was inside and you walked away. This is how it should work, it won't matter how it was unlocked.

The same is true on the opposite side, walk up and unlock with your bluetooth and then turn your bluetooth off. When you park, get out and walk away, your car will not lock.

The unlock and lock are not related.
I agree. "Weird" was response to simons message about it not working. Maybe he doesn't have "walk away lock" enabled in the car?

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does my iPhone 12 Pro Max have this NFC capability that you speak of, and if so, can I use it in the same way?

Edit: Reason I ask: It would be wonderful to be able to lock/unlock one car with NFC while the other car is selected in the app.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you have an Android phone, create a "work" profile, and have the app remain on her car in that profile. Use that profile's Tesla app instance for your wife's car.

Thanks @garsh for this AMAZING solution. Even when I was attempting to set this up I didn't think it could possibly work. Now I never have to swap cars on the app to move them around the driveway or jump back and forth! Best hack solution ever! You rock man!!!!

For those (like me) who are not sure how to set this up here is a quick set of instructions:

On your Android phone:

Go to settings, search for "Profiles"

Setup a new profile, call it "Work" or "Tesla" or any name you want.

It will take several minutes and several "yes" clicks but just wait for it.

On the new profile, install the Tesla app.

Login with your info and setup the phone key for at least one car. (I had to play with it a bit, turned on airplane mode, then off, before I could get this to work in the 2nd profile.)

The last step can also be tricky if you have 2 factor authentication turned on but it can be done. If you have trouble then turn off 2FA and turn it back on after setup.

Go back to your original profile and select the other car in your account. Now your phone is always active as the key to both cars!

LOVE IT!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

davidviolin

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does my iPhone 12 Pro Max have this NFC capability that you speak of, and if so, can I use it in the same way?

Edit: Reason I ask: It would be wonderful to be able to lock/unlock one car with NFC while the other car is selected in the app.
Apple does not have NFC unfortunately.

SimonMatthews

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree. "Weird" was response to simons message about it not working. Maybe he doesn't have "walk away lock" enabled in the car?
I do have this enabled. It works if I unlocked the car via the normal walk-up Bluetooth method (but this frequently requires me to disable and enable Bluetooth on my phone).

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As for us, my wife doesn't drive and I have Middie and Middy, so I'm kinda stuck with selecting the car in the app.

1st world problems for us multiple Tesla owners I think!

• Winner
Reactions: garsh

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.