Wheel regret - options?

woodisgood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About to take delivery next week of our MSM with Aeros. This is mainly going to be my wife's car, and she's already having regrets about the color/wheels. We had gone back and forth and ultimately made the practical decision to go with the Aeros based on the extra cost of the 19's, possible range increase with the Aeros (she has a long 100+ mile commute each day), the stiffer ride with the 19s, and the fact the Aero wheels give you a "backup" option if you hate the covers or find they don't increase the range enough.

But I think deep down she really wants the 19s, especially with MSM. So what would our options be and what kind of cost are we looking at? I see folks selling their 19s for a little less than 2k, and 18s are going for around 1200. So it seems like with a bit of hassle could switch to the 19s for under a grand?

Aside from the secondary market, is there a way to do a swap via Tesla? The only option I see on the online store is $3500 for a set of 19s with winter tires.

Part of me wants to tell her to stop worrying about it and enjoy her car (a TESLA for chrissakes!), but the bigger part of me doesn't want her to be anything less than 100% thrilled with her new car.

flyeaglesfly

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd wait until you get it and spend some time with it because (1) the aero's look more decent in person than in pictures and (2) you can take the aero covers off and the wheels under them are actually pretty nice. I have the exact combo as you and have had the aero's off since about a week after I got it, you just want to order the lug nut and wheel cover kit off the shop for $55.

MPRESTO

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm also having a little wheel regret and took delivery on Monday. Currently have 18" Aero Wheels and thinking I should have upgraded to the 19 inch. I did purchase the cap kit and definitely like the look but I like the look of the 19" just a little better. Have been on the phone with the local dealer and they really can't help me unless I buy the $3,500 set. There are so many deliveries taking place and I can't help but think that someone on the other side might want the 18" Aero Wheels instead. If anyone reading this is interested in a swap, I will pay you the $1,500.00 upgrade that you paid Tesla. I'm in the Atlanta area. Thanks.

woodisgood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good advice, thanks. If it were mine I really like the look of the uncovered Aero wheels with the cover caps.

I do understand her point about it feeling like a more masculine look. But yes, I'm sure after she drives it she'll be worrying far less about exactly how it looks from the outside and more about the experience and efficiency.

Can't wait for delivery!

mkg3

Country
Country
I was reading someone on this forum saying essentially that aftermarket wheel+tire costs can easily exceed $1500 option cost for the factory 19".

After a quick check, where most 19" tires are around $250ish give or take per tire, and each wheel costing about $200~$250, the total combined aftermarket set installed easily reached $2k, with tax.

Then one day in early June, I happened to see two T3's parked next to each other. One with aero and one with 19". While the colors were different (Midnight with aero without cover and silver with sports), it was clear to me that the 19" looked much better. Perhaps just my preference but I walked away thinking that when I order, I'll just add the 19".

When I ordered in late June, I ordered with sports. I was set to order with aeros until I'd seen it side by side. I know its too late for you guys if you already committed to aeros without incurring much added costs so hope that those who are thinking about it, go see it in person, then decide.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also T sport line has 18” turbine look-alike wheels coming in a few different colors for an estimated $1200. This would be one of the less expensive ways to get a different look and you could mount the stock tires.

But I agree on waiting until after you’ve had the car for a couple of weeks - the Aeros are better in person than in pictures.

woodisgood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think one of the biggest factors is that I've read the 19" wheels stiffen the ride considerably, but it's hard to know exactly how much unless you drive both. Not an issue for folks used to a stiff or sporty ride (me), but I know my wife would appreciate a relatively smoother ride on her daily commute. That's what made it particularly hard to commit to the 19s, even if we were convinced they looked better to us.

Personally I think we'll do some tests on efficiency with and without the covers, and if they aren't making a huge difference on her commute, off they'll go!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About to take delivery next week of our MSM with Aeros. This is mainly going to be my wife's car, and she's already having regrets about the color/wheels. We had gone back and forth and ultimately made the practical decision to go with the Aeros based on the extra cost of the 19's, possible range increase with the Aeros (she has a long 100+ mile commute each day), the stiffer ride with the 19s, and the fact the Aero wheels give you a "backup" option if you hate the covers or find they don't increase the range enough.

But I think deep down she really wants the 19s, especially with MSM. So what would our options be and what kind of cost are we looking at? I see folks selling their 19s for a little less than 2k, and 18s are going for around 1200. So it seems like with a bit of hassle could switch to the 19s for under a grand?

Aside from the secondary market, is there a way to do a swap via Tesla? The only option I see on the online store is $3500 for a set of 19s with winter tires.

Part of me wants to tell her to stop worrying about it and enjoy her car (a TESLA for chrissakes!), but the bigger part of me doesn't want her to be anything less than 100% thrilled with her new car.
Call Tesla and see if they can flip them for you on site for $1,500. It’s worth a shot.

PS... :cool:

4489932c-c00f-48bf-b95a-6a3d6c6a4fb0-jpeg.12210

Attachments

Duy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I did was knowing I wanted the Tsportline 19 inch was ordered them when there was a holiday sale. They usually do like 15% off plus free shipping plus another 100 off with referral code so total shipped for me was 1300. I paid another 1000 for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s so out of pocket 2300. Sold of my 18 inch wheel set minus the TPMS for 1000 so 1300 total for what I really wanted.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I did was knowing I wanted the Tsportline 19 inch was ordered them when there was a holiday sale. They usually do like 15% off plus free shipping plus another 100 off with referral code so total shipped for me was 1300. I paid another 1000 for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s so out of pocket 2300. Sold of my 18 inch wheel set minus the TPMS for 1000 so 1300 total for what I really wanted.
Hey Duy, are these the Brilliant Silver or Space Grays? Trying to pick between these two for my MSM so am glad to see your pic!

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tell her to give them a chance first! We went with the 18's and LOVE them. Take the covers off to expose the fantastic rims underneath (that extra range means nothing unless you're on a long road trip). We initially planned to spend about $4k on aftermarket wheels/tires, which is why we chose the 18's, but we just fell in love with this look and won't be changing them. We love them far more than the sport rims from Tesla. They're perfect on this car, I think. We do have lowering springs coming, for a 1" drop, which we think will finish the look perfectly.

Attachments