• Total voters

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@NightStorm, the forward collision warnings are not dinging your unsafe following score.

Unsafe following is the only component that I had some trouble with. The problem is that is is a ratio of how often you are within 1 sec of the car in front of you (bad) to within 1 to 3 seconds of the car in front of you (good). All the time that you stay way back (> 3 sec, very good) does not factor into the calculation at all. It also does not consider when you are on autopilot and it doesn’t count when you are under 50 mph. A single occurrence of being within 1 sec of the car in front of you when going over 50 mph can give you a very bad score if it didn’t have any instance of you within 1 to 3 sec when over 50 mph.

So stay on autopilot any time you are going more than 50 mph and your new drives will stop getting dings to the unsafe following component. Or, rather than staying way back, try to be 2 to 3 seconds behind the car in front. I spent a lot of time counting, trying to gauge exactly where this was, and it’s not easy! I recommend the stay on autopilot option.
C40901F2-D663-40F9-BC07-1BC832AD996E.jpeg

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@NightStorm, the forward collision warnings are not dinging your unsafe following score.

Unsafe following is the only component that I had some trouble with. The problem is that is is a ratio of how often you are within 1 sec of the car in front of you (bad) to within 1 to 3 seconds of the car in front of you (good). All the time that you stay way back (> 3 sec, very good) does not factor into the calculation at all. It also does not consider when you are on autopilot and it doesn’t count when you are under 50 mph. A single occurrence of being within 1 sec of the car in front of you when going over 50 mph can give you a very bad score if it didn’t have any instance of you within 1 to 3 sec when over 50 mph.

So stay on autopilot any time you are going more than 50 mph and your new drives will stop getting dings to the unsafe following component. Or, rather than staying way back, try to be 2 to 3 seconds behind the car in front. I spent a lot of time counting, trying to gauge exactly where this was, and it’s not easy! I recommend the stay on autopilot option.
View attachment 40518
Up kinda early? I see what you did there...😉

rickleemodel3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have done some searching about this and can't find anything. Tesla says the Safety Score excludes events that occur when Autopilot is engaged. But just a few days ago, I did a 225 mile roadtrip, 95% of which was highway and with Autopilot engaged. I paid special attention to braking and following because that is where I tend to get dinged when not on autopilot (although my manual SS was 97% in October). At the end of that trip, I had a 95% SS and the ONLY events that I experienced were on AP. So either something is wrong with my AP or something is BS about the exclusions. Anyone else run into this?

Reactions: NightStorm

littlD

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From my experience of scoring 100 with 832 miles, I always:

1. Set following distance to at least 4 so when I had to disengage AP I'd already have plenty of room
2. More over a lane anticipating someone merging in
3. Let regen braking do all the braking unless unsafe
4. Anticipate yellow lights, even when using Traffic Light / Stop Sign control
5. Use AP whenever the car allows it, not just on highways

I'm already hearing the many voices who are screaming at my post "But that's what I did".

I can only share what worked for me, and that my driving was in Fishers, IN (North Indianapolis Metro Area) and I-69.

NightStorm

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have done some searching about this and can't find anything. Tesla says the Safety Score excludes events that occur when Autopilot is engaged. But just a few days ago, I did a 225 mile roadtrip, 95% of which was highway and with Autopilot engaged. I paid special attention to braking and following because that is where I tend to get dinged when not on autopilot (although my manual SS was 97% in October). At the end of that trip, I had a 95% SS and the ONLY events that I experienced were on AP. So either something is wrong with my AP or something is BS about the exclusions. Anyone else run into this?
My totally unscientific evidence points to the same. I was at 100% until I started using autopilot. Much of my driving is backroads to get to the highway where I engage autopilot. Not a lot of opportunity for errors on the backroads.

Reactions: rickleemodel3