iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Who you drivin' around - Grandma?
My grandma never drove. My grandpa would have been killed by unsafe follow and hard braking. The elderly need true FSD!

Edit: I realized I originally misread your post thinking you were calling us grandma drivers.

• Funny
Reactions: GDN

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You all just don't know how to drive and enjoy this car. Who you drivin' around - Grandma? In my 2 miles of driving each day I've managed to get my score down to 89!
Some seem to keep 100's easily; others struggle to stay in the 90's. Maybe there's something to this saftey score after all, @GDN...

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Will those of us with 100 who missed out get it before the 99s? Or all of us together this weekend?

If my new prediction of the purpose of this beta is correct - to have a group of very patient drivers who live in relatively stable traffic areas in order to show off its capabilities - it's going to be a long while before Tesla is willing to expand it and publicly display a setback in its capabilities. So I think the sub-100's will be sometime in November, after the press buzzing around the new FSD beta round gets bored.

Reactions: SalisburySam

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I got back up to 100 after another 100mi of driving. The scoring system is making less and less sense to me. My hard braking is at 0.2%. I had a 40mi day with 1.2%, and a 71mi day with 1.1%. Total driven miles to date is 507mi.

All I know is that my car isn't getting any sleep till FSD is released to it considering how often I keep checking my score.

• Funny
Reactions: M3OC Rules

MJJ

I got back up to 100 after another 100mi of driving. The scoring system is making less and less sense to me. My hard braking is at 0.2%. I had a 40mi day with 1.2%, and a 71mi day with 1.1%. Total driven miles to date is 507mi.

All I know is that my car isn't getting any sleep till FSD is released to it considering how often I keep checking my score.
Calling it a “safety score” is doing the concept of safety a grave disservice. It should be called a “FSD compatibility score.” Then at least we could say “These metrics are seriously FCSed”

Reactions: skygraff

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Numbers numbers numbers! Too many numbers! To the best of my knowledge, miles driven don't factor into the hard braking calculation at all.
I got to and maintained my 100 score by doing the best I could during normal daily drives, and if I scored less than 100 for that day, I would do what was necessary to bring my scores up before the end of the night. For hard driving dings, for example, I would find an empty (level) street and accelerate like a bat-out-of-hell, then take my foot off of the accelerator (regen braking) until the car was nearly stopped. Wash-rinse-repeat. After a couple/few miles of doing this, I would park, get out of the driver's seat, get back in and check my score. If I wasn't yet at 100, I'd continue.
I cheated with FCW too several times when my car thought I was going to crash into a parked car while going around sharp turns. Unfair dinging warranted unfair reboots.
I couldn't find an easy way to bring my aggressive turns down once scored, but their effect on the overall score wasn't nearly as bad as the other metrics so I didn't really have to worry too much about it. Same with following distance dings although I did drive many miles 2 seconds behind other cars on the freeway to bring that number down when necessary.
Hope this helps reduce the number of posts with so many numbers!

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Numbers numbers numbers! Too many numbers! To the best of my knowledge, miles driven don't factor into the hard braking calculation at all.
I got to and maintained my 100 score by doing the best I could during normal daily drives, and if I scored less than 100 for that day, I would do what was necessary to bring my scores up before the end of the night. For hard driving dings, for example, I would find an empty (level) street and accelerate like a bat-out-of-hell, then take my foot off of the accelerator (regen braking) until the car was nearly stopped. Wash-rinse-repeat. After a couple/few miles of doing this, I would park, get out of the driver's seat, get back in and check my score. If I wasn't yet at 100, I'd continue.
I cheated with FCW too several times when my car thought I was going to crash into a parked car while going around sharp turns. Unfair dinging warranted unfair reboots.
I couldn't find an easy way to bring my aggressive turns down once scored, but their effect on the overall score wasn't nearly as bad as the other metrics so I didn't really have to worry too much about it. Same with following distance dings although I did drive many miles 2 seconds behind other cars on the freeway to bring that number down when necessary.
Hope this helps reduce the number of posts with so many numbers!

Personally, I think you need to apply a little bit of brake for it to register against hard braking. I've been using 100% regen and it wouldn't budge till I started accelerating closer towards a light/sign/vehicle and then lightly tapping the brake.

As for unsafe following, I realized that I spent so much time at a distance of 5+ vehicles that my car wouldn't even SEE the car ahead of me so it wasn't considered following. Had to narrow that down to 2-3 vehicles apart so that the leading car shows up on-screen to get that number down.

This is DEFINITELY NOT a safety score, but rather a narrowly defined set of metrics/requirements that you'd need to meet.

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Personally, I think you need to apply a little bit of brake for it to register against hard braking.
Agreed, even if barely pressed, no matter how softly, it seemed to ding me. I even got dinged with nothing more than regen when also going uphill. That tiny amount of gravity assist would put it over the edge.

• Agree
Reactions: r1200gs4ok

r1200gs4ok

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I had a phantom brake going to Yuma on Tuesday......happened on a long straight road with a car on my left almost even with me....the on ramp had a car coming to merge.......could not move over and even though the margin car was almost beside me, the car lunged forward and braked.......look at the score and I had a 98 for the day with some following too close and the hard braking......still at 99 but that probably kept me from going 100% overall on that 300 mile trip......cant seem to get there because of following to close because of people passing and then cutting in too close to the car......even though they are going a lot faster than I am driving, when they come back to your lane it registers as following too close....

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
cant seem to get there because of following to close because of people passing and then cutting in too close to the car......even though they are going a lot faster than I am driving, when they come back to your lane it registers as following too close....
Again, another unfair ding. Driving with my finger on the shifter stalk, if I so much as suspected that somebody might cut in front of me, I would click on autopilot until they were more than 1 second's distance in front if me before I would turn it back off. Games indeed.

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah, this seems like it’d be a life saving feature to the general public. I can also use it to track my teenagers driving habits and talk down to them if they get anything less than 100 like Tesla is gonna do to those of us wanting FSD.
That's a great idea. I'd also like to compare the scores by state. I'm expecting to see CA rank pretty low...

RonAz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting that Hard Braking is a percentage of braking. If Regen is not counted as braking, I am in trouble. The ONLY time I used the foot brake is when Regen is not enough in some traffic situations. That is probably where my hard braking dings sneak in.
I am amazed at all of the 100"s. If I am staying back 3-4 seconds, I just make it easier for some to cut in and be too close. Even though I am on 99%, following to close has been my biggest problem. If my car is in Regen when people cut in front of me, it should not be a ding. If you are following too close, it would be nice if the vehicle in front of you on the screen would turn yellow to let the driver know.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting that Hard Braking is a percentage of braking. If Regen is not counted as braking, I am in trouble. The ONLY time I used the foot brake is when Regen is not enough in some traffic situations. That is probably where my hard braking dings sneak in.
I am amazed at all of the 100"s. If I am staying back 3-4 seconds, I just make it easier for some to cut in and be too close. Even though I am on 99%, following to close has been my biggest problem. If my car is in Regen when people cut in front of me, it should not be a ding. If you are following too close, it would be nice if the vehicle in front of you on the screen would turn yellow to let the driver know.
Following too closely is an extremely "soft" ding in the calculation. Unlikely that it alone would drop a 100 to 99. Hard braking is a much "harder" ding and more likely to drop your score. In my experience, if I'm travelling, say, 70 mph and fully release to accelerator, or disengage TACC even without touching the brake, I'm very likely to get a hard braking ding. Fair? Not even close. But I don't believe that fairness has any bearing on the Safety Score.

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my Safe Drive score play today, there was an instance of two lanes (me in right lane) and stopped traffic in the left lane. The right lane (mine) was clear for at least 100 feet beyond the stopped traffic in my lane. Straight section of road. Then loud FCW warning beeps - no idea why as there was nothing in my lane for 100 feet. Then it does heavy braking for a very short time, then continues on it's merry way like nothing happened. Apparently AP can't tell which lane traffic is in sometimes. And it blames me for it!

Later i checked my score and got dinged for FCW and heaving braking - ALL of which was done by and while on AP. So much for not getting dinged while on AP.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SystemCrashed

SystemCrashed

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
You make a great point about breaking % I’m at 0.3%HB and I have driven hundreds of miles with 0%HB scores and it has not decreased, I think it is because I do not use the brakes at all, 100% of the time I depend on regen. I was going to try a drive where I turn off regen, use the brake pedal very lightly and see if that brings HB score down. Same issue with UF, hard to bring that down if you use AP all the time.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Later i checked my score and got dinged for FCW and heaving braking - ALL of which was done by and while on AP. So much for not getting dinged while on AP.
Just curious, were you perhaps on the accelerator to keep AP from slowing like it does when traffic to your left is slow? I’m not sure about this, but I’ve suspected that it would blame you for an FCW if you’re on AP but overriding the speed.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You make a great point about breaking % I’m at 0.3%HB and I have driven hundreds of miles with 0%HB scores and it has not decreased, I think it is because I do not use the brakes at all, 100% of the time I depend on regen. I was going to try a drive where I turn off regen, use the brake pedal very lightly and see if that brings HB score down.
First, don’t worry about your individual stats except for the current day’s stats.

I brought my HB score down to 0.1% with all regen. I wouldn’t mess with the brake pedal. Much more likely to get an accidental ding. Full regen is supposed to be 0.2g. Good braking is between 0.1g and 0.3g, so regen is definitely strong enough (and some have even reported a ding with full regen on a hill). You just have to do a LOT of gentle braking/regen to get it down from 0.3 to 0.2 to 0.1%. At 0.3% you’ve done 333 seconds of good braking for every second of hard braking. At 0.2%, you need 500 seconds, and at 0.1% 1000 seconds. That’s a lot of good braking for every ding.