What's under the plastic side rails?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

yyzunderdog

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I noticed that the plastic covering the passenger side rail had separated from the body about midway through. Initially I thought this might be metal and was bent - but sure enough it's a plastic. I didn't think to take a pic at the time but in looking at the gap there seemed to be these little tongue-like tabs that pivoted at the base. I angled one up and it slotted into the metal and clipped in. So problem averted....

But what I was wondering - are these just trim pieces that simply clip in - or are there any other bits in there that could get damaged? A sensor or something like that.

yyzunderdog

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think that's what they are called in the manual. Follow the body line down the door, underneath the sill on the outside there is what looks like a black plastic trim along the edge of the car from the front to back wheel.

android04

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I noticed that the plastic covering the passenger side rail had separated from the body about midway through. Initially I thought this might be metal and was bent - but sure enough it's a plastic. I didn't think to take a pic at the time but in looking at the gap there seemed to be these little tongue-like tabs that pivoted at the base. I angled one up and it slotted into the metal and clipped in. So problem averted....

But what I was wondering - are these just trim pieces that simply clip in - or are there any other bits in there that could get damaged? A sensor or something like that.
@Mike took those panels off to rust proof his car and posted pictures. Looks like they just snap in with clips and there's no wiring or sensors down there. https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/im-rust-proofing-my-model-3.7282/

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think that's what they are called in the manual. Follow the body line down the door, underneath the sill on the outside there is what looks like a black plastic trim along the edge of the car from the front to back wheel.
Rocker panels?

yyzunderdog

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3