What's under the plastic side rails?

yyzunderdog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed that the plastic covering the passenger side rail had separated from the body about midway through. Initially I thought this might be metal and was bent - but sure enough it's a plastic. I didn't think to take a pic at the time but in looking at the gap there seemed to be these little tongue-like tabs that pivoted at the base. I angled one up and it slotted into the metal and clipped in. So problem averted....

But what I was wondering - are these just trim pieces that simply clip in - or are there any other bits in there that could get damaged? A sensor or something like that.

yyzunderdog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think that's what they are called in the manual. Follow the body line down the door, underneath the sill on the outside there is what looks like a black plastic trim along the edge of the car from the front to back wheel.

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed that the plastic covering the passenger side rail had separated from the body about midway through. Initially I thought this might be metal and was bent - but sure enough it's a plastic. I didn't think to take a pic at the time but in looking at the gap there seemed to be these little tongue-like tabs that pivoted at the base. I angled one up and it slotted into the metal and clipped in. So problem averted....

But what I was wondering - are these just trim pieces that simply clip in - or are there any other bits in there that could get damaged? A sensor or something like that.
@Mike took those panels off to rust proof his car and posted pictures. Looks like they just snap in with clips and there's no wiring or sensors down there. https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/im-rust-proofing-my-model-3.7282/

yyzunderdog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country