What's the frunk for at your house?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As I am soon to be the owner of a second frunk I'm wondering what other people use it for? From this other thread the usefulness of the frunk would be increased if it were power, but to be honest I don't really use it much. We keep our "go bags" in it for disaster escape (maybe I should stop parking it inside...).

In the past I have used it for a couple of large pizzas (I call it the "Prunk" when I do that).

with the frunk annoying to close when nosed into the garage, I don't really use it.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Almost never use the frunk. Primarily because like you, my car is parked head in almost everywhere, including my garage, so it's a bit inconvenient to use. I use the under-trunk storage for cables, tire inflator / repair kit, etc.

Still, I'm glad we have it. Useful space if you need to load the car up. But I've never taken this car loaded up on a trip, nor am I ever likely to.

D. J.

TOO Supporting Member
I keep my 50' extension cord in the frunk to "balance out" the charger and tire repair kit in the rear. And in the winter, I have my chains up there to be compliant with Colorado's chain law and still be able to access them with ski gear in the trunk.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
My model 3 frunk is rarely used. I keep an empty, shallow cooler in there along with a pizza bag and some thermal shopping bags. Just in case I am transporting food that I want to keep cold or hot.

My model X frunk is well used. Being much bigger, it has much more potential. It has a cooler, the charge cord and all adapters, my emergency kit (complete with tire repair, 12V charger, screw drivers, utility knife and duct tape), a water-tight container that has various things in it from bug spray to car cleaner, paper towels, windshield washer fluid, micro fibers, sunshade for front windshield, and 2 umbrellas. When traveling I also add a long stick to be able to wash the massive windshield. I really like having this utility space that keeps the rest of the car clutter free.
c39cdf95-792e-4f9b-b630-3464f54feea3-jpeg.35801

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mine is almost always empty, but agree with @Needsdecaf that it's a useful space to have in case we need to load up the car for a road trip. We haven't done that lately however because of staying put during the pandemic.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have my mobile connection unit case with adapters not in use in there, along with a small foam cooler. The MCU/6-50 adapter is my power connection, so it is not there unless I’m traveling. It is almost always full when traveling though. It’s usually easier to get things needed while on the road from there rather than from the back, especially when the bike rack is on.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
on a regular basis, my reusable grocery bags live in the frunk. when traveling, I have one of the shallow/stackable coleman coolers (same one @Bigriver shows in the X a few posts above) that is a great fit, plus room to each side for other bags.

A turo rental I had last year used the frunk for various cleaning supplies available to the renter.

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Really wish they’d offer a privacy screen or something for the trunk...
Have you been able to SEE into the trunk from the outside? I've tried several times and never have. There's even a piece of tape on the inside window and I've never spotted it from the outside!

So I am assuming that they thought the dark tinting on the Y made a cargo cover unnecessary.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I keep some SAR gear for Civil Air Patrol in my frunk along with a tow rope leftover from my previous “classic” car and, an extension cord which I forgot to take out after last camping trip when a tent camper asked me to bring it along.

It definitely comes in handy for road trips and camping excursions but I’m not keen to put any road safety/repair gear up there due to power requirements for opening and, as for day to day use, too many steps (restrictions) to open and close. Definitely good for smelly stuff and for separating groceries I’m delivering to others from my own (in the trunk - or vice versa).

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We actually loaded up our Frunk for a long weekend road trip to the coast over the summer. It was definitely useful to have the extra space there...holding our beach stuff like sandals, toys, towels, etc... Other than that, we rarely use the Frunk and it sits empty 99% of the time. We are planning on a holiday long weekend road trip in December and will probably load it up again. I did replace the stock spring with a spring that several forum members recommended and now the Frunk hood closes so much easier and is much more enjoyable to use 1% of the time. :p