What supercharging rate are you getting?

Brentt

Just curious what everyone else is getting when supercharging?

On the day I picked up the car, I charged at two different superchargers on the way home and got over 300 mph both times.
Since then I've tried two different times and only got 48 and 98mph respectively. Both times, all stalls were empty.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just curious what everyone else is getting when supercharging?

On the day I picked up the car, I charged at two different superchargers on the way home and got over 300 mph both times.
Since then I've tried two different times and only got 48 and 98mpg respectively. Both times, all stalls were empty.
what was your current state of charge at the time?

Dangermouse

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Both times I was at about 70% -75% but needed the extra range for the trip.
Much faster under 50%, I saw 490 mph I think yesterday at 20% starting charge. Only needed a little bit then to get home, so didn’t stay long. 118 kw rate.
For contrast, I was at 70%-ish the other day and Supercharged just to show someone how it works; I was getting around 40kw rate.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't take good notes, but coming back from Phoenix (at the Cabazon SC if I recall correctly), I was seeing 119 kW going in shortly after I plugged in. Since I believe the current Superchargers max out at 120 kW, I think it was pretty good!

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@goto10 - way cool graph! Was that from actual data logged? If so, using what app? @KarenRei has been looking for exactly this type of data, especially charging from a very low State-of-Charge (SoC). Thanks for providing!

goto10

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It was posted on a Tesla forum a while back and I saved a copy to my phone for reference but I regret that I don't recall specifically where I got it. It was recorded from an actual Supercharger session.

Brentt

Thanks. Looks like the moral of the story is, to run it as far down as possible before charging. Unfortunately, that's not always possible, especially where you need to make a round trip with nothing in between.

goto10

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Correct. The best strategy for long trips is to always charge just long enough to make it to the next Supercharger with a bit of a buffer and charge up beyond that point only when you've got a long leg without any Supercharger access. The route planning tools from Tesla and others all have you do this.

reallove

Country
Country
When I first saw the title of the post, I thought the question is about the price.
So...how are they priced? My car displays a cost next to a supercharger, but I've never used them. Is the approximation of the cost for a full charge, or does it account for how much I need to get the battery fully charged?
Thanks!

Stickers

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s my understanding of EV charging

There’s 2 types of charging - 1) DC charging like the Supercharger 2) AC charging like the ones at home.

In any case what matters is total KWH in the battery and the charge rate in KWH. KWH = Amp H * Volts. I know for AC charging the Volts are maintained constant (~220 V) and the on-board charger throttles the Amp Hours. There’s a setting in the car for Max Amp Hours. So if using a Level II charger with 6.6 KWH capacity; it’s capable of 6,600 / 220 Volts = 30 Amp Hours max current.

Generally the charger accepts Amp Hours at Max of charger capacity until battery is close to full. Then, the charging rate slows down by reducing the Amp H.

That’s the general concept.

What about MPH?? The MPH is not relevant here because you get less Miles per KWH if going up hill vs. going down hill. I think on average EVs are expected to post about 4 Miles per KWH.

Make sense?

I’d love to read about “caring for batteries”

What I know.. These LiPoly batteries 1) don’t like HEAT. Heat builds up on fast discharge and fast charge. They like to operate in a certain temperature range.
So: I’m not planning on hitting the supercharger unless absolutely necessary.
2) they don’t like to be fully charged either.
So: Looking for guidance.
3) finite number of charge cycles.
So: is it better to charge few times from nearly empty to 80% or keep topping it up as often as you can?

Anyone find good reading materials?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We took our first road trip from Bay Area to Santa Barbara and back. Used Superchargers in Atascadero, San Luis Obispo and Salinas and paid $0.26/kwh. Charging speed was much better than I had expected, around 480miles/h if I recall correctly.

Overall a great first road trip, the navigation system, guiding us to Superchargers, cured us from any range anxiety we had.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My charging speed was pretty much identical to that reported by @Zoomit above, except the peak was 118 kW, so also a out the limit that they are capable of providing to one vehicle. It makes me wonder if we'll get faster charging for the first 100-140 miles of range when the new higher capacity superchargers roll out. Does anyone know if there is a hard limit for the car's battery?