What should I do to my Model 3?

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am picking up my Model 3 on Wednesday, and I'm super excited! The only car I've ever owned before this is my trusty 2012 Prius C, which I have loved. But that old girl's going to my dad to make room in my carport for my new, blue Model 3.

And now I need to know what I could, or perhaps should, to do my new 3. You see, I've never done anything to my Prius C. It's completely stock (besides front seat covers), mostly because I'd just never thought about modifications. Even the simplest stuff, like tinting, just never came to mind, since I'm not a "car guy". I just don't know about these things.

I've been watching Model 3 videos ever since I discovered Model 3 Owners Club on YouTube back in December. From those, I've picked up several car washing tools on advice from Teslatunity, who's been a regular on the TOO Podcast. I also picked up a center console wrap kit, to help avoid marring it. But other than that, I haven't prepared for anything else, mostly because I just don't really know about any other stuff.

For instance, I live in Los Angeles, so I imagine that tinting my windows is probably a good idea, if for no other reason than the heat reduction. But I've also heard of this 3M Crystalline window film that's also supposed to be good for heat reduction, without actually coloring the windows. I'd prefer not to tint if I don't have to, as I've never really been interested in that. But LA summers are HOT and getting hotter, so I definitely want to do something.

And what about paint protection? Is that important enough for typical LA freeway driving (the vast majority of my road time) to be worth the cost? How much does it usually cost?

Are there any other modifications that you guys would be consider "must haves"? Please assume I have no idea about even the most obvious stuff, because I legit don't have a clue.

And what about "nice to haves"? Those things that give strong benefits, but are maybe not always worth the price.

I can afford to put a few thousand into modifications right now, and maybe a little more a few months down the line, if needed.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am picking up my Model 3 on Wednesday, and I'm super excited! The only car I've ever owned before this is my trusty 2012 Prius C, which I have loved. But that old girl's going to my dad to make room in my carport for my new, blue Model 3.

And now I need to know what I could, or perhaps should, to do my new 3. You see, I've never done anything to my Prius C. It's completely stock (besides front seat covers), mostly because I'd just never thought about modifications. Even the simplest stuff, like tinting, just never came to mind, since I'm not a "car guy". I just don't know about these things.

I've been watching Model 3 videos ever since I discovered Model 3 Owners Club on YouTube back in December. From those, I've picked up several car washing tools on advice from Teslatunity, who's been a regular on the TOO Podcast. I also picked up a center console wrap kit, to help avoid marring it. But other than that, I haven't prepared for anything else, mostly because I just don't really know about any other stuff.

For instance, I live in Los Angeles, so I imagine that tinting my windows is probably a good idea, if for no other reason than the heat reduction. But I've also heard of this 3M Crystalline window film that's also supposed to be good for heat reduction, without actually coloring the windows. I'd prefer not to tint if I don't have to, as I've never really been interested in that. But LA summers are HOT and getting hotter, so I definitely want to do something.

And what about paint protection? Is that important enough for typical LA freeway driving (the vast majority of my road time) to be worth the cost? How much does it usually cost?

Are there any other modifications that you guys would be consider "must haves"? Please assume I have no idea about even the most obvious stuff, because I legit don't have a clue.

And what about "nice to haves"? Those things that give strong benefits, but are maybe not always worth the price.

I can afford to put a few thousand into modifications right now, and maybe a little more a few months down the line, if needed.
I’m glad to hear you found the ONR review helpful and good luck with your Model 3!

Another fun, small thing is puddle lights (under the bottom of the door) strapping those out for a logo bearing light. I have the Tesla “T” others have the “3” or “3 bars” emblem.

I’ve seen interior light upgrades (for brightness) or complete changes (blue color).

There is the Jeda Wireless Pad for Qi Charging (if you have a compatible phone).

I’m a big fan of tint. Not only for heat rejection, but for looks. I don’t like tint to be too dark and have landed on 30% as a nice compromise (of course heat rejection varies by brand and line).

Did you get the aero wheels or the sport wheels? If you got the area wheels, a chrome delete is a nice touch. I’m personally a fan of the chrome use on the car, but with the darker wheels it could be a nice match.

You could add a carbon fiber lip spoiler (matching the performance car) and the performance pedals as well.

I hope that helps!

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got the Aero wheels, and with that in mind, I can definitely see the value of a chrome delete (I had to look up what that means, heh). I'll have to take a look at it in person to decide if I want to do that. And those interior light upgrades sound like they might be fun. I'll look into that. Thanks!

@Impatient: How much did you PPF wrap cost? And for the dash cam, did you do it all fancy and get it plugged directly into the car power? I have one in my Prius that I was planning to just transfer into my 3, but it's one that plugs into the USB for power.

Defjukie

Country
Country
I got the Aero wheels, and with that in mind, I can definitely see the value of a chrome delete (I had to look up what that means, heh). I'll have to take a look at it in person to decide if I want to do that. And those interior light upgrades sound like they might be fun. I'll look into that. Thanks!

@Impatient: How much did you PPF wrap cost? And for the dash cam, did you do it all fancy and get it plugged directly into the car power? I have one in my Prius that I was planning to just transfer into my 3, but it's one that plugs into the USB for power.
Unfortunately, people have been getting errors and some have even had to replace the 12V battery when they've gotten "fancy" and hardwired dashcams. Hopefully Tesla addresses this in software somehow, because I find it kind of ridiculous to not have access to power when you're sitting on one of the world's largest battery packs.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Unfortunately, people have been getting errors and some have even had to replace the 12V battery when they've gotten "fancy" and hardwired dashcams. Hopefully Tesla addresses this in software somehow, because I find it kind of ridiculous to not have access to power when you're sitting on one of the world's largest battery packs.
I find it kind of ridiculous to have to hardwire in a dashcam when you're sitting in a vehicle full of cameras...

oneshortguy

Country
Country
Tint is a no brainer to protect the interior from the heat. Short term, the interior is cooler. Long term, less fading and cracking.

Lowering springs are very popular right now specifically for comfort, but you should drive it first.

If you are already content with the Prius C, I doubt you will have any complaints.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is all optional and nice to have. If you want paint protection, my detailer recommended the bare minimum of wrapping the front bumper, fenders, lights, and mirrors. Many will also go for the hood, if you do you'll have to decide if you want partial or full hood. You're looking at $500 - $1800 depending on how much coverage you want on the front. For full PPF wrap it's usually around $4k-$5k.

Then it's common if you do get some sort of PPF, you do a full ceramic coat on top of it. PPF wrap helps protect against physical damage like rock chips, while ceramic coat helps with element/chemical damage like UV, acidic stains, etc.. Although for me the ceramic coating is a must for its hydrophobic properties, making my car easier to wash and keep clean. Think of ceramic coating like a new form of wax, except you don't need to apply it every few months.

Expect to spend $1k - $2k if you go with any or partials of the above. The price usually includes paint detailing as they need to fix imperfections in the paint before layering PPF and ceramic coat on it. Otherwise you'll see it and won't be able to get it off without stripping it all away. All optional here, many opt to not do any paint protection, many swear by it.

If you want to look different than aero wheels, you can take the cover off, and put in the caps. I personally like my wheels much better with aero covers off. You can buy the caps on tesla.com. The 18" wheels look very nice as-is without the cover in my opinion.

Last edited:

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That emblem is spiffy! Definitely adding that to my list of possibilities.

I hadn't considered the benefit of tint in terms of protecting the interior from sun damage. That massively boosts my interest in tint.

Yoiks, PPF is costly. But I really do like that hydrophobic ceramic coating. Can you get that on areas that aren't PPF'd? An easier cleaning job is exactly what I'd need to actually get myself to clean it regularly. I have badly neglected my Prius in terms of car washing, heh...

I don't particularly care about wheels, since I've never really been one to put much stock in exterior aesthetics. Plus, I've heard that the aero covers add a pretty significant amount of efficiency (some have claimed they get 10% better wH/mi with the covers on), and I rate efficiency a lot higher than aesthetics.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup you can ceramic coat without PPF. If you are brave and handy, you can do it yourself and it would only cost around $100-$200. Or spend more to have a detailer do it professionally. Just know that if you are not going to wash your car much at all, then it's pointless having it because the car will still look dirty with or without the coat.

Model 3 looks so s3xy though, it may motivate you to want to keep it clean and looking nice. The ceramic coating will help make cleaning easier for you.

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, the point of getting the ceramic for me will be to stop being so lazy about cleaning. Making it easier to clean should make it much easier to get up off my ass and do it, heh.

The Two-Bucket method that Trevor's been pushing should also help. I've already picked up all the tools for that, and can't wait to give it a shot.

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The first white Model 3 I saw in the wild had a little curb rash on the rim. Very SAD. Rim protection strips are waiting for my 3. Or spend a couple hundred to repair a rim.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
That emblem is spiffy! Definitely adding that to my list of possibilities.

I hadn't considered the benefit of tint in terms of protecting the interior from sun damage. That massively boosts my interest in tint.

Yoiks, PPF is costly. But I really do like that hydrophobic ceramic coating. Can you get that on areas that aren't PPF'd? An easier cleaning job is exactly what I'd need to actually get myself to clean it regularly. I have badly neglected my Prius in terms of car washing, heh...

I don't particularly care about wheels, since I've never really been one to put much stock in exterior aesthetics. Plus, I've heard that the aero covers add a pretty significant amount of efficiency (some have claimed they get 10% better wH/mi with the covers on), and I rate efficiency a lot higher than aesthetics.
I applied two coats of CQuartzUK and Reload ($85 from Amazon) - makes the @SoFlaModel3 two bucket method really effective :)