What percent of charge constitutes low state of charge?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've read that charging, especially at a Super Charger Station, when the battery is at a low state of charge will damage the battery, especially if done repeatedly. But what percent constitutes low state of charge? The article referred to someone rolling into the charge station at 0 or lower percent, but that seems highly unusual. I can't find any reliable sources to provide a definition for the danger point for low state of charge.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you can, locate and link to that article so we can explain what you were reading. It sounds like you may have misunderstood something.

Basically, there's nothing to worry about. If the car is incapable of charging at a high rate at the supercharging station, it will throttle the charge rate (or refuse to charge at all) until conditions improve. The car will protect itself from actually damaging the battery.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I learned a big lesson, took my first “long” trip, 630 round trip. Had a 1/2 charge left on the battery when we arrived at our hotel that had a “free destination” charger. I connected and the status on the battery said it would take 9 1/2 hours to charge!!!! Every hour I would get an alert the charging was interrupted. Got fustrated and on the trip home I made a bee line to the closest Tesla Super Charger and fully charged in 35 minutes (170 miles). I will now make every effort to avoid destination chargers and to appreciate Tesla Super Chargers!!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had charging interrupted at home and most recently at my parents house using their 110v outlet. It is completely random and I have no idea what is caused it. I have yet to have it happen on a ChargePoint or destination charger, but I haven’t use them much relative to my home connection.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes. Both 110s were GFI. Neither of the GFIs tripped. Now that I I think about it, it did happen one night with the 240v as well. I am not worried about it and it has only happened 3 times in 7 weeks, I was just curious as to what things might cause it.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes. Both 110s were GFI. Neither of the GFIs tripped. Now that I I think about it, it did happen one night with the 240v as well. I am not worried about it and it has only happened 3 times in 7 weeks, I was just curious as to what things might cause it.
It has happened to me zero times in just about 8 weeks so I would be concerned.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country