What material is needed to install wall unit?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am getting my M3 in a few weeks. I have been getting insane quotes to install my wall unit 10' from my breaker. My new plan is to buy the material and pull everything myself and have the electrician do the final connections only. I think I have what I need down, but would love if you could send me links to examples of each so I can verify I would appreciate it. I will need:

- 1" conduit. Prefer not metal if allowed by code in Virginia. PVC?
- 6/3 Wire
- 60 Amp GE Breaker

Any examples or advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you're going to use conduit, then you pull individual THHN wires (two hots and a ground). The ground can be slightly smaller wire. Don't use Romex-type wire inside a conduit.

You'll also need:

* a fish tape to pull wires through conduit
* At least two screws/bolts to mount the wall connector to the wall
* You may only be able to get one screw into a stud and the other may have to be a strong molly bolt
* pvc primer / glue for conduit
* Connectors for conduit to join pieces together
* all necessary conduit and 90 degree bends to get where you're going
* A junction box perhaps near the wall connector (assuming you're going to hardwire it)? The conduit wold come into the side of this box.
* If you use a junction box, you'll need connectors for that (conduit) and a cover
* Clamps to mount conduit to wall every so often
* How are you getting out of your panel? You may need a knockout insulator for the wire to pass through and a junction box to mount on the wall with an extender that sticks out to be able to run the conduit to the wall connector junction box...

Probably more stuff I'm not thinking of, but that would be a start

jsanford

Eloise the 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are you installing inside, or outdoors? There’s a little more for outdoors, which is what we’re doing, to keep it weather-tight.

edited to delete wire gauge; someone answered it better

mishakim

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you confirmed with an electrician that they will actually hook this up for you? My understanding is that, at least for some people's interpretation of code, they can't/won't connect something an unlicensed person wired up. I'd say talk to them and find out why the quote is coming in so high, and ask what you can DIY to reduce it.

Alternatively, if allowed per local regulations, just do it all yourself. Adding a new breaker is no harder than the rest of what you're proposing doing yourself, unless you don't have room in the panel, in which case that's probably the source of the high quotes anyway.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you choose PVC conduit I found these handy:
A little hacksaw for cutting - easier than getting out power tools for small conduit
Dry washrag to deburr the cut ends.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No one will ever see the edge once it's in and glued ;)

jsanford

Eloise the 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We installed our wall charger today. It was about $200 in additional materials, including 50’ of 6-2 cabling.
We converted from an electric to gas stove a few years back which left a free 240 circuit in the panel. It’s mounted outside on the side of the house, so we picked up some weather sealing materials for that. We wanted to use channel lugs to tie in the wires, but neither Lowe’s nor Home Depot stock them any more. Picked up a couple of options for watertight connections which saved a lot of time.

The lugs inside the unit are tricky—angled forward not perpendicular to the ground, so threading the wires into the clamps took some patience. We double-checked the jumper settings online as the manual was a bit obscure. On the other hand, the testing instructions were clear and well-written.

We routed through the 1/2” rear opening.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The lugs inside the unit are tricky—angled forward not perpendicular to the ground, so threading the wires into the clamps took some patience.
This! It's impossible to see in there, so I used my phone camera on selfie-mode (stuck the corner of the phone in there on an angle) as a mirror to make sure I unscrewed the lugs all the way.