What is this? (metal/foil sticking from rocker panel/trim)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TheTony

It happened.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just noticed the following a few days ago when I was washing my car and got down low to wipe the lowest part of the rocker panels on the passenger side. It's several inches from the leading edge of the rocker, and right below where the leading edge of the door. I've had the 3 for a few months and never noticed it until now - it's not something you'll notice unless you're crouched low and looking.

Best I can figure is that it might be the "foil tape" used on the bottom of the rocker panel, between it and the trim piece that goes in below it. It can be seen in this photo from @Mike in his rustproofing thread:

I don't want to mess with it too much, but it definitely shouldn't be sticking out as far as it is. It's definitely metallic - perhaps a thin strip of tin or some material adhered to the rocker to cover an open port, etc.

It's not a big deal in the least. However, I'll probably bring it to the attention of the service folks and see how they want to handle it, since it seems like something that I should have addressed at some point. While it doesn't stick out much, I don't want it to come out if it shouldn't or scrape against the painted rocker.

I'm curious if anyone knows with certainty what this piece is, what it does, or if anyone else has noticed anything like this on their 3.

Last edited:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Best I can figure is that it might be the "foil tape" used on the bottom of the rocker panel, between it and the trim piece that goes in below it.
I'd agree with your assessment.

Is the space between the rocker trim and the body metal uniform along the whole length?

Or is the space widened simply where this body foil sheet is?

TheTony

It happened.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'd agree with your assessment.

Is the space between the rocker trim and the body metal uniform along the whole length?

Or is the space widened simply where this body foil sheet is?
I don't believe the space is widened in that particular spot, but I will double check today and verify that.

This metal material just seems like it is too large and protrudes out of that space a little. I suppose it could have shifted to where it is. While I didn't pull on it, I doubt it'll give if I do. Just pressing on the edge didn't move it at all. Which would make sense if it was adhered to the bottom of the rocker assembly.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just found this by searching for the same issue and want to confirm that you aren’t the only one. I initially thought I’d either picked up a piece of foil along the way somehow or that my detailer, who installed rocker panel PPF, had inserted foil for some reason (to protect paint while cutting film, perhaps) and that a piece had gotten jammed and tore off. Now I realize it’s part of the car and will ask the SC to address it at my next visit.

ghsnick!

Country
Country
What is this little piece of “tin foil” doing here?

Is it okay to just cut it off with an little box cutter knife or just pull it out?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wouldn't try cutting it - you'd likely cut into the car's paint.

My guess is that it's a piece of leftover wrapping from the rocker panel. I agree with Frully - just try pulling it out with some tool that can grab it. Otherwise, leave it be.

ghsnick!

Country
Country
I was able to pull the driver side rocker down a tad and saw the aluminum piece was also under there.

I trimmed just the smallest part and tucked the passenger side under...since it seems to be normal...mine just hung out a bit.