Question What is the most egregious EVSE charge price you've seen?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's the worst price you've seen for juicing up?

A big (expensive) government installation just happened in my hometown where they put in solar canopy coupled with (single) L2, CCS, and Chademo FLO stations. They were very proud of themselves for securing funding but then needing a location they chose a public building at a location with no real amenities other than hoping a food truck shows up.
The L3 options come in at an almost-reasonable C$12/hour. (75kWh ~$20 fill on a 50kw chademo adapter)
The L2 offering is I believe 32A and priced at C$6/hour. (75kWh ~$60 fill! on a 7kW L2)

BackStory Time: I live in the Texas of Canada - Alberta. 'We' have for a loooooong time been politically overwhelmingly all about oil industry (You've heard of the tar-sands in the news I'm sure), fracking, and climate denialism in general. A good portion of the people I chat with about my 'fancy newfangled electric spaceship' get a look of disgust as if I brought up a tasty food ingredient that they specifically didn't like. I digress. These are the types of people who drive a 4mpg raised pickup truck for no reason other than they want it that way. I can't tell if this is another case where the the underlying rhetoric is rearing its ugly head in policy or if it's just plain bad math.
They either want to recoup hundreds of thousands of dollars by pricing something so far into the stratosphere expecting demand won't dry up...instead of pricing at a reasonable rate and having lots of use.

After the fact they're going to look at the stats and say "Geez, nobody is using it, clearly nobody wants electric cars/infrastructure".

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's the worst price you've seen for juicing up?

A big (expensive) government installation just happened in my hometown where they put in solar canopy coupled with (single) L2, CCS, and Chademo FLO stations. They were very proud of themselves for securing funding but then needing a location they chose a public building at a location with no real amenities other than hoping a food truck shows up.
The L3 options come in at an almost-reasonable C$12/hour. (75kWh ~$20 fill on a 50kw chademo adapter)
The L2 offering is I believe 32A and priced at C$6/hour. (75kWh ~$60 fill! on a 7kW L2)

BackStory Time: I live in the Texas of Canada - Alberta. 'We' have for a loooooong time been politically overwhelmingly all about oil industry (You've heard of the tar-sands in the news I'm sure), fracking, and climate denialism in general. A good portion of the people I chat with about my 'fancy newfangled electric spaceship' get a look of disgust as if I brought up a tasty food ingredient that they specifically didn't like. I digress. These are the types of people who drive a 4mpg raised pickup truck for no reason other than they want it that way. I can't tell if this is another case where the the underlying rhetoric is rearing its ugly head in policy or if it's just plain bad math.
They either want to recoup hundreds of thousands of dollars by pricing something so far into the stratosphere expecting demand won't dry up...instead of pricing at a reasonable rate and having lots of use.

After the fact they're going to look at the stats and say "Geez, nobody is using it, clearly nobody wants electric cars/infrastructure".
My experience with third-party charging is extremely limited, but here in the Texas of the United States--Texas :D--I found so far the few I've tried are free or very cheap. The providers are an electric co-op and various commercial destinations around Austin that try to attract EV drivers. Even one apartment complex in Austin that opens up its charging to the public for free. But that is, as they say, the People's Republic of Austin (not representative of attitudes statewide). ;)

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
lots of room for you here in BC @Frully - i'll sign off on your BC/Alberta passport form.

Out here the costing is mostly for parking. So for the Burrard or the Pacific Centre Mall you have Vancouver parking prices (SC charging rates not included).

Worst I heard was the hotel that claimed the superchargers were for guests only. So for $140 a night you can fill up (SC charging rates not included). I think was misspoke, but I'm not 100% sure.

Mr. Spacely

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My office has free charging. The local mall has free charging. My favorite restaurant has free charging. I rarely even plug in at home and use Superchargers about once a month...

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Blink chargers you find in San Francisco are $0.60/kWh, or $45US for a full 75 kWh which is about the same as your $60C cost. I've never seen one in use even though there are a lot of them around.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
same for the Blink here - they range from .39 - .59 and of course, never see anyone plugged into them (the typical electric rate here is about .08, so their fee is a 400-700% premium.
I'm sure the shop owners/employees that have them in their parking lots must think nobody wants EV charging, because theirs sits idle 99% of the time.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
same for the Blink here - they range from .39 - .59 and of course, never see anyone plugged into them (the typical electric rate here is about .08, so their fee is a 400-700% premium.
I'm sure the shop owners/employees that have them in their parking lots must think nobody wants EV charging, because theirs sits idle 99% of the time.
I'm reminded of our (dying breed) outdoor waterslide park. The owners wanted to reduce costs but keep income the same, so they cut staff and raised prices until nobody showed up any more - hoping that the remaining patronage would make up for it. "having only the millionaires" attend was a poor business decision. The wear/tear on an EVSE is minimal compared to the amortization of the install cost. Surely they've done the math.