What is going on with Autopilot?

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This just happened to me this morning. Rear/back-up camera gone/black, no cruise/Autosteer (basic Autopilot gone, essentially). No lane-lines on the car graphic, no grey steering wheel, no "cars"/"trucks" showing up in the graphic around my car graphic . . . just the car.

It was really odd, too .. . . I didn't realize how much I was relying on autopilot in my regular driving. Was super-annoying to have to fully drive the car w/o Autopilot . . . .

I too tried the double-button steering wheel reboot, twice. Makes no difference, problems still persist. Recently was updated to 2019.20.4.2.

I've just left messages with the Mobile service guys, and emailed them. Fingers crossed this is a straightforward thing to fix.

I also see from the thread here, that the problem seems to clear up for most after a day or so. Since Mobile Service is telling me they can't see me for around two weeks, I sure hope my situation just spontaneously gets fixed, too .. . .

Did you try doing a "hard reset"....that is what I did and then I left the car alone for a while....all came back by itself after that......

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Try a reboot using the power off button in the safety and security menu.

The key with this technique is to ensure NO power is used for (about) the next 190 seconds after using the off button and the UI goes dark.

One way to ensure no power used for at least 190 seconds: turn the HVAC on, lower the drivers door window and then exit the vehicle, closing the door behind you. Reach inside to tap the UI and navigate to the power off button, without using the seat as a prop. Push the power off and walk away for a few minutes. True power off is indicated by two HVAC system responses. The HVAC system will shut down and then, within two minutes, another sound will come from the HVAC system (an internal temperature blend door for the HVAC system moves to a neutral position). Your car will now be truly off.
AND remove any USB drives when powering down.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
AND remove any USB drives when powering down.
Yes, thanks for that reminder.

Part of my ad hoc check list when a new firmware version has been downloaded.....full power down for at least 30 min and removal of the USB drive to clear it of needless files.

Over kill I'm sure but let's me sleep nights........

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the end, without really doing anything other than just leaving it parked for about eight hours (at work), the autopilot and back-up cam problems just . . . disappeared. So, that's good, so long as this doesn't become a regular thing . . .

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the end, without really doing anything other than just leaving it parked for about eight hours (at work), the autopilot and back-up cam problems just . . . disappeared. So, that's good, so long as this doesn't become a regular thing . . .
This sounds to me like it was probably the known bug where Autopilot can stop working if the car doesn't sleep and/or sentry flash drive is corrupt. Pulling flash drive, disabling Sentry, and letting car sleep seems to be the recommended solution. There may be a few different threads on that, here's one:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-disappearing-noa-w-workaround.13114/

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had my first instance of this bug.
No AP, no visuals, no cruise, and no backup camera.
2-scroll reboot didn't help
Parked, rolled down window (for safety), chose power down option while getting out of the car, closed door and let car sleep.
came back 10 minutes later, car back awake and back to normal.

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This sounds to me like it was probably the known bug where Autopilot can stop working if the car doesn't sleep and/or sentry flash drive is corrupt. Pulling flash drive, disabling Sentry, and letting car sleep seems to be the recommended solution. There may be a few different threads on that, here's one:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-disappearing-noa-w-workaround.13114/
Thanks - I'm not sure mine was this precise situation, though. I did none of the steps you recommend (didn't pull the flash drive - didn't touch it), and the car righted itself after just parking it, walking away for 8 hrs and then coming back and starting it up.

So . . . . who knows. But everything's back to normal now.

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had my first instance of this bug.
No AP, no visuals, no cruise, and no backup camera.
2-scroll reboot didn't help
Parked, rolled down window (for safety), chose power down option while getting out of the car, closed door and let car sleep.
came back 10 minutes later, car back awake and back to normal.
In the end, that seemed to do the trick for me. Just park it, leave it, and . . . . . well, that's it. That's literally all I did and it fully cleared up.