What happens once the car reaches the SC for delivery?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I'm curious - just what does the SC do with the car once it arrives at the SC from shipping and before delivery? I know in most states there is funding that has to happen. In TX we are paid in full. When that car hits the ground - they need to put the state inspection sticker on and likely give it a light wash, then it should be ready to go right?

What else do they do? Why do they get so backed up? So many people talk about needing paint correction, etc, do the SC's actually wax/polish them? What is putting all the swirls in to the paint the most pay extra to remove? What else happens there that seems to delay cars several days once they arrive at the SC?

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know about the rest of their prep process but in TX they don't put an inspection sticker on. You'll get that and plates a few weeks later.

So I'm curious - just what does the SC do with the car once it arrives at the SC from shipping and before delivery? I know in most states there is funding that has to happen. In TX we are paid in full. When that car hits the ground - they need to put the state inspection sticker on and likely give it a light wash, then it should be ready to go right?

What else do they do? Why do they get so backed up? So many people talk about needing paint correction, etc, do the SC's actually wax/polish them? What is putting all the swirls in to the paint the most pay extra to remove? What else happens there that seems to delay cars several days once they arrive at the SC?

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@GDN is correct, you don't get the sticker and plates until about 2.5 weeks after delivery.

As for prep prior to delivery, I believe they inspect and wash the cars; some detailing if they deemed necessary. When I visited the Plano SC yesterday, and speaking with a couple of ex-Dallas SC staff, they said they were doing 3 deliveries per day. I thought that was low. I was thinking maybe twice that number but oh well.

As for paint issues, fortunately, they did not do a major detail on Quicksilver, when my detail guy came out to check my car for paint defects, there was only one spot that he said was no big deal and that I was lucky because he saw a new black Model S with lots of swirl marks because they over detailed the car before delivery. I think all I got on Quicksilver from the delivery prep was a wash.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@GDN is correct, you don't get the sticker and plates until about 2.5 weeks after delivery.

As for prep prior to delivery, I believe they inspect and wash the cars; some detailing if they deemed necessary. When I visited the Plano SC yesterday, and speaking with a couple of ex-Dallas SC staff, they said they were doing 3 deliveries per day. I thought that was low. I was thinking maybe twice that number but oh well.

As for paint issues, fortunately, they did not do a major detail on Quicksilver, when my detail guy came out to check my car for paint defects, there was only one spot that he said was no big deal and that I was lucky because he saw a new black Model S with lots of swirl marks because they over detailed the car before delivery. I think all I got on Quicksilver from the delivery prep was a wash.
Thanks for the replies. I thought the inspection sticker had to be on there before the car left the lot. Either way, I didn't think they did much more than the inspection for the states sake and for any factory defects and then a quick wash and handed the car over. As long as they do that later I'll be OK with it. I just don't want my car sitting there for 3 to 5 days doing nothing.

My ISA also told me they had 3 delivery time slots per day they would get me slotted in to, but I don't know how many people might take delivery in each slot, perhaps several.

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The DS told me that in Austin they have so many cars coming in that they're being stored at a hidden location and someone else mentioned they're delivering 10/day & doing group introductions. We were the only people picking up when we got ours.

If your car is ready and they have capacity, numerous people have gotten their cars earlier than their scheduled delivery date. BTW, what should your car be doing while waiting on you? ;-)

Thanks for the replies. I thought the inspection sticker had to be on there before the car left the lot. Either way, I didn't think they did much more than the inspection for the states sake and for any factory defects and then a quick wash and handed the car over. As long as they do that later I'll be OK with it. I just don't want my car sitting there for 3 to 5 days doing nothing.

My ISA also told me they had 3 delivery time slots per day they would get me slotted in to, but I don't know how many people might take delivery in each slot, perhaps several.
Some

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks - I was hoping for that. The Dallas SC doesn't have any real storage space. On any given day you can drive through and there are 3 to 5 cars in the lot. My gut tells me they have cars stashed off site as well, but on the flip side with what you say I don't understand why. Give the car a quick wash and hand it over to the customer. Shouldn't be any need to keep it a few days waiting. Just make it happen already.

Plus - and this is a big one. I already own the car, it's been said many times. Even if they were to find flaws with the car - I don't think they can make a change, buff, paint, repair without my signature on a work order form. Since I own it, they have to disclose anything they do to the car. I'm probably over reacting, but I've been very calm and not even gotten too excited, but now I'm down to the last 2 weeks and I want to make sure I know what happens to my car and what shape it is in from the factory.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Allan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure what they do exacrly but I know that they need the car for 2 1/2 hours from off the truck to in your hands. I assume this is an inspection, top off charge, exterior cleaning and interior wipe down. Due to a weird coincidence I was at Tesla when my car was delivered and taken off the truck. They offered to have it ready for me that same day and needed 2 1/2 hours.

P.S. I wasn't stalking the delivery center. I really wasn't.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Plus - and this is a big one. I already own the car, it's been said many time.
Thanks for the feedback.
Unless it happens to be different in Texas for some reason, I'm pretty sure that you don't own the car until you take delivery and drive it off the lot. If "I" owned it, then I expect that I would already have to have insurance on it, but that's not needed until delivery. In my case, I also needed to pay some additional money at the last minute.

I think that there is a basic checklist that they have to go through. They've got to remove any packing and shipping materials, they clean it up, they put it on the charger, they add it to your account, and for ATL, they disable remote access. They probably handle in really big issues as well.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unless it happens to be different in Texas for some reason, I'm pretty sure that you don't own the car until you take delivery and drive it off the lot. If "I" owned it, then I expect that I would already have to have insurance on it, but that's not needed until delivery. In my case, I also needed to pay some additional money at the last minute.

I think that there is a basic checklist that they have to go through. They've got to remove any packing and shipping materials, they clean it up, they put it on the charger, they add it to your account, and for ATL, they disable remote access. They probably handle in really big issues as well.
In TX due to our dealership laws, that don't apply to most states, I own the car as of today. Money is paid 100% in full and I've signed Loan Papers with my bank with the VIN on it and I've signed the official Tesla document with the VIN on it - it is paid in full. Tesla has also already begun my title work with the state and it is being filed, even though I don't have the car in my possession. If Tesla doesn't deliver me the car with that VIN, none of may documents are valid. They'd all have to be redone.

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Question. Has Tesla overnighted you the registration/transfer paperwork yet? They changed the process slightly between car #1 and car #2 for us. First time they said to send it back overnight via FedEx (which they received after we'd picked up the car). Second car they said to bring it to the SC when picking up but I had left the envelope unsealed so they could verify I had signed everything. The DS said he was not allowed to legally look at the paperwork but could drop it in the mail for me.

In TX due to our dealership laws, that don't apply to most states, I own the car as of today. Money is paid 100% in full and I've signed Loan Papers with my bank with the VIN on it and I've signed the official Tesla document with the VIN on it - it is paid in full. Tesla has also already begun my title work with the state and it is being filed, even though I don't have the car in my possession. If Tesla doesn't deliver me the car with that VIN, none of may documents are valid. They'd all have to be redone.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Question. Has Tesla overnighted you the registration/transfer paperwork yet? They changed the process slightly between car #1 and car #2 for us. First time they said to send it back overnight via FedEx (which they received after we'd picked up the car). Second car they said to bring it to the SC when picking up but I had left the envelope unsealed so they could verify I had signed everything. The DS said he was not allowed to legally look at the paperwork but could drop it in the mail for me.
Looks like the paper work should be on it's way. The email for our appointment says to bring the completed and sealed registration packet with us. This is directly from today's email:

Please plan to budget 30-45 minutes for your delivery experience. I would recommend to bring the following:
-Driver License
-Insurance card to place in the vehicle
-Completed and sealed registration packet (this will be mailed to you before delivery)

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Ed Woodrick what do you mean

"for ATL, they disable remote access"
In one of the settings, there's an option to disable remote access to the car. When enabled, the phone app can't send any commands to the car. I suspect that they do this to keep new owners from beeping horns and freaking out customers and delivery service personnel.

The car shows in the app, but doesn't allow me to do anything. As opposed to earlier, when the car didn't show in the app.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

OK - idiot flag just went off, we don't have inspection stickers in TX anymore. So bottom line is local Tesla SC is doing the inspection, and they update the state computer. We just have the single combined sticker now, the inspection and system have to be updated before they will issue you the tag, which is the sticker that goes in the window. This had been bugging me why no one was getting an inspection sticker, then it hit me - we don't have them anymore, but it still has to be done before you pick the car up so they can issue you the tag.