What happens if I don’t download an update?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe you'll be able to skip and hold off on certain releases, but Tesla won't let you get too far behind. My gut tells me not more than likely one major release. They will then push it over LTE and then they will get more push about on screen reminders to install. I figure you put it in park and a reminder will pop up. There will be a fine line here as they will have to be very careful about force starting the install as they don't know when you want to drive next, but I do suspect it would come that that too after you are so far behind. They are just like all computer support you've got to keep the SW somewhat up to date, you can't support 30 releases. They will also likely cut you off from logging a support call if you are having trouble and if you go in for any kind of service the first thing they are going to do is update your SW.

I don't think anyone is talking about letting it go that long and I understand not being on the most current all of the time, but if anyone wants to run a long term experiment I bet you can't get more than 90 days or one major rev behind before they start pushing it in some manner you can't stop.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Based on comments in these forums, I've held off on the whole 50.x family of upgrades. After bugging me about 50.1, the car is now offering 50.7, so you definitely don't need to go through intermediate stages; it just rolls over to the next update offer at some point.

I'm still holding off. I'm willing to take the risk of ping-ponging, and the new phone features are new, so if they don't work I'm not losing anything. But I don't want to have my existing voice commands (navigation, Slacker control) messed up.

Have those problems settled down? Are voice commands working more consistently now, at least for people on 50.7?
Remember, most of what you're reading is complaints. You're going to see that a LOT more than the complements. I don't use voice commands, but have no ping-ponging and really enjoy the new text commands. I think you're worrying about nothing and commend you for your self-control.

IF I had HW3, which I don't, I'd be all over this for the visualizations alone.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remember, most of what you're reading is complaints. You're going to see that a LOT more than the complements. I don't use voice commands, but have no ping-ponging and really enjoy the new text commands. I think you're worrying about nothing and commend you for your self-control.

IF I had HW3, which I don't, I'd be all over this for the visualizations alone.
An advantage of a forum like TOO is that you get to know the "regulars." Enough of them have reported problems with the 40.50.x firmwares that it's not just selection bias--the problems must, in fact, be pretty wide-spread, although clearly not universal.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We now have an answer to what happens if we don't update. It is becoming more and more apparent we don't actually own these vehicles.
Tesla is planning a change to the communication infrastructure. So if you don't upgrade to a version of software that knows how to use the new APIs, then surprise, surprise - your car won't be able to communicate with Tesla's servers, and therefore all of the features that rely on Tesla's backend systems will cease to work.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla is planning a change to the communication infrastructure. So if you don't upgrade to a version of software that knows how to use the new APIs, then surprise, surprise - your car won't be able to communicate with Tesla's servers, and therefore all of the features that rely on Tesla's backend systems will cease to work.
I believe that can be part of it but I wonder if that's all of it - if they are required (legally) to modify how autopilot works and you resist as end user to accept it, who is liable? Tesla?

For a while I had my car forget our WiFi because I didn't want the update that forced automatic lane departure things on me; once I saw it was optional and my choice remembered I updated. Tesla warned me of exactly the above when I mentioned to customer service I would not update until new features were optional etc. I was update-proof for about 3 months.

Also it's easier on Tesla to have minimal #s of versions of software out there when dealing with service etc. Having a backend server that can understand multiple API versions isn't rocket science but it has a quality assurance cost, etc. and I bet they just don't want to deal.

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
Tesla is planning a change to the communication infrastructure.
Last I checked Bluetooth is a local communication structure. If my Tesla app no longer works as my key then there is a problem. OTA has it's benefits, but no one should be forced to update their software if they don't want to.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last I checked Bluetooth is a local communication structure. If my Tesla app no longer works as my key then there is a problem.
Nowhere did it say that bluetooth would be affected. Nor did it say that phone-as-key would be affected.

If not updated prior to 1-May-2020, this vehicle may no longer be able to receive over-the-air software updates, access the Tesla Mobile App & associated features, utilize voice commands, receive streaming media content, and other connectivity dependent features may be impacted.

DanSz

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
It basically says if you don’t update, you won’t be able to update.

Unfortunately, not updating literally means that Tesla may improve its network/systems to a point where your car doesn’t work the same way it did before.

That’s not the same as updating and losing a feature. That‘s called being left behind.

Being let behind might mean no more map updates and no more supercharging trip planning. IMHO That’s Tesla’s biggest advantage when it come to long trips. Around town, the whole navigation screen could go black and it wouldn’t matter.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this vehicle may no longer be able to ... access the Tesla Mobile App
I can see where a liberal interpretation would cause you to believe that all App functionality would be lost, but I don't think that will be the case. The list of things mentioned makes it clear that they're planning a major network API overhaul. But they cannot and will not change the Bluetooth interactions. They can't change how the "key" works, because that would also end up breaking all of the keyfobs. And music streaming & hands-free calling is a generic bluetooth feature that doesn't even require the Tesla app.

You won't be able to use the Mobile App to perform the various functions that rely on an internet connection. Anything that only requires a local bluetooth connection will continue to work.

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm fine with that when it comes to disposable cheap items. Cell phones etc. Not when it comes to my vehicles that can be crippled when I wake up in the morning
Sorry, but then your only option is to limit your purchases (participation?) to cheap cell phones while staying away from every other Internet-connected device(s) including things that provide Internet connectivity such as routers, wireless APs, and diswashers, refrigerators, solar panels / inverters, apple watches, wireless cameras, all banking and credit services, electric/electronic garage doors openers, ... the list goes on forever.

The technical term for all this stuff is "IoT, aka "Internet of Things". We're long past the age of horses and dirt roads.