What happens if I don’t download an update?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m told on my app that I can download. 2019.40.50.1. I’m away from my car, no rush for me. From posts on here I had the idea of not downloading this one and waiting for the next.

Can I? Will my car just shift over to the next version when it becomes available to me, or do I need to download 50.1 now that they have queued me up?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Eventually you have to tell it to start updating. If you wait long enough, presumably it will eventually download the next one and nag you about that one instead.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m told on my app that I can download. 2019.40.50.1. I’m away from my car, no rush for me. From posts on here I had the idea of not downloading this one and waiting for the next.

Can I? Will my car just shift over to the next version when it becomes available to me, or do I need to download 50.1 now that they have queued me up?
I know this doesn’t answer your question, but why wait. This version is packed with great stuff!!

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Kind of curious more than anything. I’m in no rush (away from car). Figure with all the bigs I’m hearing the next one will be better (bug fixes).

No big deal. We shall see .....

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Kind of curious more than anything. I’m in no rush (away from car). Figure with all the bigs I’m hearing the next one will be better (bug fixes).

No big deal. We shall see .....
It's kind of funny that we've yet to hear the experiences of anybody who has chosen to simply not install an update. :)

You're blazing a new trail @Nom! Please come back and let us know if anything unexpected happens!
I salute you sir!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's kind of funny that we've yet to hear the experiences of anybody who has chosen to simply not install an update. :)
I’ve done this, it was a while ago. IIRC, they eventually pulled the update and I just got the next one. If they didn’t pull it, I still just skipped one version.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
some releases are required for a future release, but we don't know which that may be until that future release comes out. IIRC, that came up with one of the earlier major releases this year. it required at the least to have what appeared to be a previous minor release, but must have included some new code required for the major release.
anyone that had skipped that minor release wasn't able to get any newer versions without loading that one.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

You're blazing a new trail @Nom! Please come back and let us know if anything unexpected happens!
I salute you sir!

I've done it too. For example, there was one in late 2018 that was supposed to deal with cold weather but from reports introduced a lot of bugs with the charge port. I waited, the next (bug fix) update eventually showed up, and I installed that.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
some releases are required for a future release, but we don't know which that may be until that future release comes out. IIRC, that came up with one of the earlier major releases this year. it required at the least to have what appeared to be a previous minor release, but must have included some new code required for the major release.
anyone that had skipped that minor release wasn't able to get any newer versions without loading that one.
Since this is the first build for 10.2, it just might be required. TBH, the number of people having issues is the minority. I say just go for it.

sduck

Country
Country
All the "issues" I've seen are related to the new stuff that's been added, none of which is mandatory to use, or will hinder your ability to get from point A to point B. So go for it!

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
All the "issues" I've seen are related to the new stuff that's been added, none of which is mandatory to use, or will hinder your ability to get from point A to point B. So go for it!
That's not true. A large chunk of the reported issues have to do with the voice recognition going away altogether, including features that were previously there like bug reports, navigation, and Slacker control.

Most likely that's due to server overloads, but it's curious that no one has reported having those problems prior to when they personally upgraded.

I'm away from my car for the next week or so, so I'm not going to update remotely, just in case there's a fluke in the install that breaks sentry or whatever. But even if I were home this is one I'd consider waiting on for a bit.

sduck

Country
Country
That's not true. A large chunk of the reported issues have to do with the voice recognition going away
I've personally never considered voice recognition to be vital to the use of the car. Maybe I've missed how others use it - apologies to those who can't operate the vehicle without it. I can still get to point B from point A safely without using voice control. In fact, the only thing I've ever used voice control for is bug reports. And I verified that that still works, along with all the new ones, soon after the upgrade.

Bugs that would cause me to NOT update - the steering wheel stops working sporadically. The radio being stuck on the Culture Club channel, with no working volume control. Brakes - who needs stinking brakes anyway? As per my first post in this thread, all of this is coming in the next update!

Last edited:

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I disabled downloads a while back (made car forget my WiFi) because I was hoping/waiting on the ability to turn off some new features. I think it took 2 updates before I got back into it.. Only 1 time did the car tell me to get on WiFi to get an update but I ignored it and it was silent there after until I re-enabled WiFi

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
but it's curious that no one has reported having those problems prior to when they personally upgraded.
I think previously because it was only a small set of command it could be handled by the car. Now that it’s more, it’s switched over to the server.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think previously because it was only a small set of command it could be handled by the car. Now that it’s more, it’s switched over to the server.
Which voice commands didn’t need Internet back then? I mean, in theory maybe the actual voice processing didn’t, but I could not activate voice commands without Internet access. I know for a fact that bug reports don’t work without a functional internet connection.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Which voice commands didn’t need Internet back then? I mean, in theory maybe the actual voice processing didn’t, but I could not activate voice commands without Internet access. I know for a fact that bug reports don’t work without a functional internet connection.
Oh, you’re right.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve done this, it was a while ago. IIRC, they eventually pulled the update and I just got the next one. If they didn’t pull it, I still just skipped one version.
I just got back to my car today. I had 40.50.1 waiting for me for several days and could not download/install because I was not on WiFi. Finally got it installed today and a few hours later I got an update notification for 40.50.5.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Based on comments in these forums, I've held off on the whole 50.x family of upgrades. After bugging me about 50.1, the car is now offering 50.7, so you definitely don't need to go through intermediate stages; it just rolls over to the next update offer at some point.

I'm still holding off. I'm willing to take the risk of ping-ponging, and the new phone features are new, so if they don't work I'm not losing anything. But I don't want to have my existing voice commands (navigation, Slacker control) messed up.

Have those problems settled down? Are voice commands working more consistently now, at least for people on 50.7?

John Di Cecco

Country
Country
I have 40k miles on my car. It is much improved as compared to the day i bought it. With rapid change there will always be minor bugs. Last year NOA was nothing like it is now. I am almost ready to use the term refined to describe it.

With this latest update, while i can't prove it, i think my range is improved. I am excited for the updates and would never consider delaying one.

As for voice commands, i like open glove box and fan control... that's about all i use. Any issues will be in the server side and will get cleaned up over course of time with no updates needed.

Wipers are another thing that while not perfect are much improved to the point i am no longer irratated by them