What features would you like to see added to service logistics?

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had a poor experience getting service on my Model 3. I don't want to dwell on the particular details, but it included, at various points, the Service Center (SC) ordering the wrong part, the correct part (once they ordered it) arriving broken, great difficulty in contacting the SC, timelines for completion being way off, etc.. The repair itself was good, and the price very fair. But the logistics of the process were terrible.

Elon has said that he'd like service to eventually be like a Jiffy Lube--you bring your car in, and an an hour later you drive it away with the problem fixed. So that's the end goal.

Obviously, one thing that's needed is more resources: more SCs, more spare parts, more employees.

But another thing that's needed is drastically better logistics integrated in to the Tesla app, Tesla account, and car itself. There have been some baby steps in that direction--for example, in certain circumstances the car can supposedly order the part it needs when it detects a fault. (Has anyone reading this actually had that happen yet?)

So my question for this thread is what features would you like to see implemented in to the app, car, or online account to help make and track service appointments and needs?

Here's a few from me, off the top of my head:

--For problems like glass damage, the app should allow the damaged portion to be selected from a visual representation of the car.

--The app should allow a photo to be attached to the service request.

--Once a SC concludes mobile service is sufficient, the mobile appointment should be schedulable from the app (maybe it is in some places, but it doesn't work for me in suburban New York).

--Once a mobile appointment is scheduled, it should be modifiable from the app just like a SC appointment.

--Estimates should come via the app, not just email.

--When necessary parts are on order, the app should provide an estimate of when they will arrive at the SC--tracking would be even better.

--Once the car is in for service, an estimated time for completion of the repair should be shown. Ideally, it should show the number of cars ahead of it in the queue, the estimated time for those repairs to be completed, and the estimated time for the repair itself. That last part is already implicit in the estimate, so should be doable. I'm not sure on their logistics of repairs--it's possible that glass repairs, for example, are in a different queue than brake problems, for example. And if mechanics jump back and forth between types, estimates may be tough to give. But an estimate is then an AI problem--it's the sort of thing Tesla is supposed to be good at.

--Something's wrong with a system that lets you schedule a service appointment to the half hour, but then has the car sit there for three days without being worked on at all. Their logistics has to get better so that you can't schedule an appointment when there's so much backlog anyway.

--You should be able to send and receive messages to the Service Center at any time using the app. And there should be a policy that messages will receive a response within one business day. It's OK if the response is simply "no change to status," or "will update Thursday" or whatever--it would just help knowing that things have fallen through the cracks.

--You should be able to pay through the app or the Tesla account once you're notified that the repair is complete, rather than at pick up.

Most of that doesn't require a bit increase in staff at the Service Centers, but would require some new logistics and changes to the app. But it would make the service process much less frustrating, particularly for problems needing repair that don't make the car undrivable.

What do you think of those ideas? What else would you add to the list?

(Note to moderators: It was tough to decide where to put this thread. If you feel it belongs somewhere else, like firmware/software, feel free to move it!)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having just had a horrible mobile service experience this week where they showed up with no parts and were just inspecting my concerns — I’d start with some ability to photo/video document the issue and have back and forth with someone before the actual service takes place.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had a poor experience getting service on my Model 3. I don't want to dwell on the particular details, but it included, at various points, the Service Center (SC) ordering the wrong part, the correct part (once they ordered it) arriving broken, great difficulty in contacting the SC, timelines for completion being way off, etc.. The repair itself was good, and the price very fair. But the logistics of the process were terrible.

Elon has said that he'd like service to eventually be like a Jiffy Lube--you bring your car in, and an an hour later you drive it away with the problem fixed. So that's the end goal.

Obviously, one thing that's needed is more resources: more SCs, more spare parts, more employees.

But another thing that's needed is drastically better logistics integrated in to the Tesla app, Tesla account, and car itself. There have been some baby steps in that direction--for example, in certain circumstances the car can supposedly order the part it needs when it detects a fault. (Has anyone reading this actually had that happen yet?)

So my question for this thread is what features would you like to see implemented in to the app, car, or online account to help make and track service appointments and needs?

--For problems like glass damage, the app should allow the damaged portion to be selected from a visual representation of the car.

--Once a SC concludes mobile service is sufficient, the mobile appointment should be schedulable from the app (maybe it is in some places, but it doesn't work for me in suburban New York).

--Once a mobile appointment is scheduled, it should be modifiable from the app just like a SC appointment.

--When necessary parts are on order, the app should provide an estimate of when they will arrive at the SC--tracking would be even better.

--Once the car is in for service, an estimated time for completion of the repair should be shown. Ideally, it should show the number of cars ahead of it in the queue, the estimated time for those repairs to be completed, and the estimated time for the repair itself. That last part is already implicit in the estimate, so should be doable. I'm not sure on their logistics of repairs--it's possible that glass repairs, for example, are in a different queue than brake problems, for example. And if mechanics jump back and forth between types, estimates may be tough to give. But an estimate is then an AI problem--it's the sort of thing Tesla is supposed to be good at.

--Something's wrong with a system that lets you schedule a service appointment to the half hour, but then has the car sit there for three days without being worked on at all. Their logistics has to get better so that you can't schedule an appointment when there's so much backlog anyway.

--You should be able to send and receive messages to the Service Center at any time using the app. And there should be a policy that messages will receive a response within one business day. It's OK if the response is simply "no change to status," or "will update Thursday" or whatever--it would just help knowing that things have fallen through the cracks.

--You should be able to pay through the app or the Tesla account once you're notified that the repair is complete, rather than at pick up.

Most of that doesn't require a bit increase in staff at the Service Centers, but would require some new logistics and changes to the app. But it would make the service process much less frustrating, particularly for problems needing repair that don't make the car undrivable.

(Note to moderators: It was tough to decide where to put this thread. If you feel it belongs somewhere else, like firmware/software, feel free to move it!)
Most of these have to do with communication and would go a long way to improving things. I understand that things take time, and parts may need to be brought in, etc. While I might be disappointed with a delay, I can understand it.

I don't appreciate being ignored and having to chase folks down for what should be fairly simple answers.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I’d start with some ability to photo/video document the issue and have back and forth with someone before the actual service takes place.
This is exactly what has happened for my last two issues. Made an appointment, then heard from someone at my local Service center, and gave them more details and texted pictures. Works well.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is exactly what has happened for my last two issues. Made an appointment, then heard from someone at my local Service center, and gave them more details and texted pictures. Works well.
That's sort of happened with me the past two times too. But it happened through texting, not through the app. And the last time, it didn't end up working so well, because they got the photo but didn't acknowledge getting it, and they ended up ordering the wrong part anyway (windshield instead of roof glass).

Likewise, needing to schedule a mobile appointment for a different incident meant they texted me someone's phone number which resulted in a long game of phone tag. I was never quite clear whose phone number I was given.

They should fold all this kind of communication in to the app, or at least in to the Tesla account accessible via the browser, because otherwise there seem to be a lot of undocumented loose ends that don't get addressed properly.

In other words, the need for this is great enough that Service Center people are finding ways to do it using texting, etc.. But what I'd like to see (and I assume SoFlaModel3 too) is to have the ability to do that built in to the regular Tesla procedures.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
...they texted me someone's phone number which resulted in a long game of phone tag. I was never quite clear whose phone number I was given.

They should fold all this kind of communication in to the app, or at least in to the Tesla account accessible via the browser.
Totally agree. My communication with them has also been via text, and yes it is awkward that you are not sure exactly WHO you are texting with. But I do prefer text to phone calls relative to being able to send pictures and having traceability (for awhile) of what was said. The app would be even better.

A nit that we encounter is also that they rarely contact who we specify to contact. They don’t seem fully set up for a car to have joint owners, and sometimes one of us knows more about the problem than the other. They also aren’t fully set up for someone to have multiple cars. I have had 2 situations where I contacted them about one car, and they crossed wires to the other car.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

My only add in addition to what you say and is really an addendum - "all communication through the app/website" - The tech is sms to me directly to get further details about my service request from the app. That could easily be a helpdesk style chat/update ticket inside the app.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having just had a horrible mobile service experience this week where they showed up with no parts and were just inspecting my concerns — I’d start with some ability to photo/video document the issue and have back and forth with someone before the actual service takes place.
Ha! Just had this exact same thing. When we were up at the service center in January, they diagnosed my wife's car with a faulty seal around the small triangle shaped portion of the drivers window. "Part not on hand, will order and have mobile perform repair" stated the invoice.

Fast forward to now and the mobile tech shows up to "diagnose" an issue. So I pulled the invoice and showed him and we both shared a laugh.

Good times.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ha! Just had this exact same thing. When we were up at the service center in January, they diagnosed my wife's car with a faulty seal around the small triangle shaped portion of the drivers window. "Part not on hand, will order and have mobile perform repair" stated the invoice.

Fast forward to now and the mobile tech shows up to "diagnose" an issue. So I pulled the invoice and showed him and we both shared a laugh.

Good times.
In my case I left bad survey feedback and they reached out yesterday and told me I could come in right away so I had my car fixed yesterday. Easily could have just done it with mobile service the other day.