What does your Model 3 sound like when you punch it?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine has developed what I can only describe as a high-pitched buzzing noise when I accelerate hard. I swear it didn't happen when the car was new, and has been getting worse over time. I have a little over 2000 miles on the odometer.

I'm just wondering if this is common, or if it's something I should be concerned by?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you switched to driving with the radio off recently?

If not, it's probably best to compare it to another 3 to see if it differs.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't noticed anything in mine, but now that I have an excuse (other than "Hey, it's Wednesday!") I'll punch it today and listen.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you switched to driving with the radio off recently?

If not, it's probably best to compare it to another 3 to see if it differs.
I almost always listen to podcasts when I'm alone in my car, at a low enough volume that I can hear the buzz. And when I have others in the car, I keep the volume of music down so we can hear each other talk.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to another 3 to compare to.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I almost always listen to podcasts when I'm alone in my car, at a low enough volume that I can hear the buzz. And when I have others in the car, I keep the volume of music down so we can hear each other talk.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to another 3 to compare to.
I think his point was that the radio might be making the buzzing.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For me, any funny noises have always been caused by the audio system, including what sounds like fluttering in the vents. Always fixed with a pause, a song change, or a reboot. My latest theories include bugs in audio codec, and cross-talk to the alerts speaker in the passenger well.

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is definitely a bit of an electronic-y whine when I really punch it. I also didn't notice it at first, so not sure if it's new or was always there. I sort of like the sound. To my ears it's the sound . . . . . of electricity working very, very hard.

My Fiat 500e had a similar whine, but it was much louder. I hope my M3's doesn't get louder. It's nice just where it is . . . .

actong

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I also hear a high pitch whine under hard acceleration. I only have a little over 300 miles on the car, but I just noticed it today. Not sure if it's been there all along.

Burnchar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine has developed what I can only describe as a high-pitched buzzing noise when I accelerate hard. I swear it didn't happen when the car was new, and has been getting worse over time. I have a little over 2000 miles on the odometer.

I'm just wondering if this is common, or if it's something I should be concerned by?
Mine sounds like a very quiet jet engine ramping up. It might be described as a buzzing, but this is where the ambiguity of English comes into play.
Can you post a recording?

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You'll have to post audio.

I have the dual motor and to me it sounds like a little electrical whirl, personally I love it.

With that said, I only really notice it with the radio completely off and at low speeds.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I had an opportunity to ask a Tesla service tech about this noise. I had him in my car to diagnose a wind noise issue, and I took the opportunity to demonstrate the buzz. He said that the sound came from the inverter and was perfectly normal. So, nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I hear that sound when punching the accelerator. It's always been there in my case. I call it the sound of electrons screaming. :p

What's really interesting to me are the gearbox sounds (in my RWD model) that are only audible when the rear seats are folded forward. I'll drive with the audio and climate control silenced just so I can enjoy the whir and whine of the gears. It's also the only time that I can sense/hear the very slight backlash in the box when the load reverses. Overall it seems to a very impressive and precisely assembled reduction gearbox.

Bravedog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My AWD makes a very high-pitched whine when I hit the pedal hard.
You can also hear what sounds like flywheel ocassionally scraping when decelerating, but it's not a big deal.
The RWD has no noise at all.