What does the "You're invited to configure" email look like?

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To the few forum members who have configured, and the even fewer who have taken delivery:

What does the email from Tesla look like that tells you to go in the online configurator and choose your options and make a commitment to buy? Would you be able to post (redacted) images?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remember, only Tesla and SpaceX employees have been invited to configure so far (PTFI is the father of a Tesla employee). So whatever method was used to notify them could very well be different from what the rest of us will receive.

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, I do know that. But I assume that of the thousands of employees of both companies who put deposits, how else would Tesla efficiently record/manage what options the employees want other than letting them use the online configurator?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, I do know that. But I assume that of the thousands of employees of both companies who put deposits, how else would Tesla efficiently record/manage what options the employees want other than letting them use the online configurator?
They did use the configurator. @garsh meant that the email they received may be different than the one we receive. For that matter the configurator will most likely look different too.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So is there a general FAQ anywhere on configuration questions and answers?

My main Q is how long do you have to configure (once you receive the invite to config email)? How long can you wait? Can you defer and for how long....(I think I read you can defer for up to 6 months and NOT lose your so-called place in line and YES I know that does not prevent others who configure immediately from jumping in front of you so it behooves you to config asap. I know once you "click" configure you have 7 days I believe to make any 'changes' before it's 'locked' in.....and THEN after that it's a $500 charge to make any changes.....correct?

These are the types of Qs I'd (and I'm sure others) would like answered. Maybe an 'Invite to Config' checklist like the CPO pickup checklist!:) Inquiring minds want to know.

Ski

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So is there a general FAQ anywhere on configuration questions and answers?

My main Q is how long do you have to configure (once you receive the invite to config email)? How long can you wait? Can you defer and for how long....(I think I read you can defer for up to 6 months and NOT lose your so-called place in line and YES I know that does not prevent others who configure immediately from jumping in front of you so it behooves you to config asap. I know once you "click" configure you have 7 days I believe to make any 'changes' before it's 'locked' in.....and THEN after that it's a $500 charge to make any changes.....correct?

These are the types of Qs I'd (and I'm sure others) would like answered. Maybe an 'Invite to Config' checklist like the CPO pickup checklist!:) Inquiring minds want to know.

Ski
I think the simplest way to think about it is that your place in line is lost (read as skipped) when the next batch of emails goes out. If the emails go out weekly, you will want to lock things up pretty quick to avoid moving back a batch (or more).

As far as I understand there are still people with X reservations that never pulled the trigger, so I’m not sure there is an upper limit here.

Eventually someone will wait long enough to the point where the car is no longer back ordered.

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the simplest way to think about it is that your place in line is lost (read as skipped) when the next batch of emails goes out. If the emails go out weekly, you will want to lock things up pretty quick to avoid moving back a batch (or more).

As far as I understand there are still people with X reservations that never pulled the trigger, so I’m not sure there is an upper limit here.

Eventually someone will wait long enough to the point where the car is no longer back ordered.
Would it be more accurate to say that a person is not really skipped when the next batch of emails go out; but rather, the production of a car is queued when a reservation holder confirms their build and pays their second deposit?

Slight difference, but just asking.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would it be more accurate to say that a person is not really skipped when the next batch of emails go out; but rather, the production of a car is queued when a reservation holder confirms their build and pays their second deposit?

Slight difference, but just asking.
honestly, asking anyone here is just going to get you speculation ;) until we actually see what happens with the first few weeks/months of queued up orders or get something solid said from Tesla, it's all just a guess.

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
honestly, asking anyone here is just going to get you speculation ;) until we actually see what happens with the first few weeks/months of queued up orders or get something solid said from Tesla, it's all just a guess.
Understood, but if we're making assumptions based on how the X rollout went, it may be indicative.