What does it cost you to use Supercharging?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Went to chage my TM3 at our nearest Tesla supercharging station and I was at 26% charged it to 90% which came out to $26.94. it's cheaper than gas but I was surprised at the cost. I previously filled up at work (no supercharger just regular EV charging station) and it cost me a little under $5 (32% charged to 83%)

What Are you paying for supercharging?

According to Tesla website rates in CA are .26 kwh

Umar Sear

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Given the rate $0.26 / kWH, I would check with tesla how the total came to $26.94, it would suggest that the model 3 battery is bigger than 100 kWH, I don't think so!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Went to chage my TM3 at our nearest Tesla supercharging station and I was at 26% charged it to 90% which came out to $26.94. it's cheaper than gas but I was surprised at the cost. I previously filled up at work (no supercharger just regular EV charging station) and it cost me a little under $5 (32% charged to 83%)

We've used Superchargers here in Washington a few times. Always $0.25/kWh. Our last three charges were: $4.75, $4.75 and $6.00. Our home rate starts at about $0.085 and moves to the second tier of about $0.105 around 840 kWh per month so it's a lot more economical to just charge at home when you sleep.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I wonder what your history shows on your account page. That may give you some details to explain the extra charge.

But, I can't imagine an idle fee accounting for the difference.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I'm really going to guess that you left it there for a while as you were shopping and got an idle fee charge. Did you ? Was the charger kinda busy with other cars?

In the future, you park at a charger only when charging. When finished charging, it is courtesy to move the vehicle so that others may charge. And Tesla will charge you if you leave a car plugged in after full while at a busy station.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No i did not leave it idle. When I plugged it in it said 50 minutes to charge so I walked around for that time and checked the app every 20 minutes. Went back exactly when the car hit 90%

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
T
No i did not leave it idle. When I plugged it in it said 50 minutes to charge so I walked around for that time and checked the app every 20 minutes. Went back exactly when the car hit 90%
Where did you see the $26 rate? In the car? MyTesla? credit card website?

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think that it may be time to call Tesla then. Check the online site to see what the detail breakdown looks like. (There's also a support email address there)
I recently charged for 82 minutes at $11.10. It was a cheaper tier 1 at $0.20/$0.10. But even at the same cost, it wouldn't be close.

Sumiguchi

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In Edmonton Alberta (where electricity at home runs me about $0.06/kwh), the supercharger cost is time based.
Supercharging Fee – Power Tier 2 Can$0.36 / min
Supercharging Fee – Power Tier 1 Can$0.18 / min

Seems a little pricy - I got about 100km of range for $7 on Tier 1. Good if I need a quick charge, but I'll charge at home or at the free Level 2 charging stations available in town.

Aloe

Country
Country
Anyone knows whether it will charge in US$ if you use Supercharger in the US with a Canadian Tesla account?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone knows whether it will charge in US$ if you use Supercharger in the US with a Canadian Tesla account?
My guess (can we say, "educated opinion"?) is:
  1. You'll be charged at whatever rate is in effect for the particular state (which will be in USD).
  2. Your credit card company will handle the conversions (so use a card without foreign transaction fees).
I guess Tesla could handle the conversions themselves, but then they'd have to keep track of conversion rates over time, and I doubt they want to add that when they can just let the credit card companies handle it.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My guess (can we say, "educated opinion"?) is:
  1. You'll be charged at whatever rate is in effect for the particular state (which will be in USD).
  2. Your credit card company will handle the conversions (so use a card without foreign transaction fees).
I guess Tesla could handle the conversions themselves, but then they'd have to keep track of conversion rates over time, and I doubt they want to add that when they can just let the credit card companies handle it.
Supercharged today from 25% to 85% cost me $12.19

quadmasta

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You guys have expensive power. I charged from 15% to ~80% and it was $6.16 on two separate days. Both occasions started charging at 420 mi/hr

RobbieM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I recently recharged my new M3 at a supercharger station. When finished it indicated the cost for the session but then quickly disappeared. i could find no way to see what the charges were. I expected to be able to see charges on "mytesla account" but could not. I talked to someone at the service center who said you have to go to your particular credit card statement to see what they were. This does not seem right. Why can't there be a record available on line that gives me history of energy amount and charges? Am I missing something? How can I see what the cost was after my trip?

timtesla

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I recently recharged my new M3 at a supercharger station. When finished it indicated the cost for the session but then quickly disappeared. i could find no way to see what the charges were. I expected to be able to see charges on "mytesla account" but could not. I talked to someone at the service center who said you have to go to your particular credit card statement to see what they were. This does not seem right. Why can't there be a record available on line that gives me history of energy amount and charges? Am I missing something? How can I see what the cost was after my trip?
I think when you click on the charging icon on your screen, it will show you a summary of your last supercharging session with the cost in the bottom right of the screen. You can also find your full supercharging history with cost in your tesla account on tesla.com

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Would someone be kind enough to educate me on kWh.

Is the long range battery in a 3 100kWh rated?

If true and I charge 50% is that 50kWh? Therefore at 21 cents per kWh it would cost $10.50?

I am new and learning...

DannyHamilton

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is the long range battery in a 3 100kWh rated?
No.

A quick Google search for "Tesla Model 3 battery size" indicates that it is 75kWh.

If true and I charge 50% is that 50kWh?
If it were a 100 kWh battery, yes. But it isn't. It's a 75 kWh battery. Therefore if you add 50% then you've only added 37.5 kWh.

Therefore at 21 cents per kWh it would cost $10.50?
If you added 50 kWh, then at $0.21 per kWh it would cost approximately $10.50.
However, if you add 37.5 kWh (50%), then at $0.21 per kWh it would cost approximately $7.88

Note that the amount you pay may be slightly higher than this. If I recall correctly, Tesla will charge you for the amount of electricity the Supercharger supplies, not the amount of electricity that your vehicle stores. Charging a battery is not 100% efficient. There will be some losses due to resistance in the cable from the supercharger to your vehicle. There will also be some losses in the vehicle equipment. I'd guess that the charging efficiency of supercharging is somewhere around 95%. So, if you add 37.5 kWh to the battery, you're probably using approximately 39.47 kWh (39.47 X 95% = 37.5) from the supercharger. At $0.21 per kWh that means you'd probably pay somewhere close to $8.29 instead of $7.88

I am new and learning...
I hope this has been helpful.

Jason F

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Go to your account on Tesla.com. It is kind of hidden, but select History. That will show payment history. I am not sure how quickly it shows up there. I notice my SC from two days ago is not up yet.