Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

If you had to buy 18" Winter Tires for your Model 3 which ones would you choose?

What are the best 18" Winter Tires for the Model 3?

38K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  Dinosaur 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there have been various threads on the topic of winter tires for the Model 3, but I wanted to do a poll amongst the owners who have or are thinking about buying winter tires for their cars. Specifically the 18" variant because it's the most common (and what I have :p). Please vote and post why you think those tires are the best. Please include your experience with performance, handling, road noise, stopping distance and the lost (or not) of regen with the recent 2019 software updates. I've tried to include the most common winter tires, but if i've missed something please post and I will update the options.

#3 ·
I have the Michelin’s and voted for them as “the best” although I’ve never tried any others, so it is somewhat of a biased vote. 😁 I also can’t really provide details on all the thing you specified, other than to say they really worked well for me and with no adverse effects. No notable road noise nor change in efficiency relative to the 18” OEM all season. No regen issues because I have an AWD.

#6 ·
I have the Michelin's and voted for them as "the best" although I've never tried any others, so it is somewhat of a biased vote. 😁 I also can't really provide details on all the thing you specified, other than to say they really worked well for me and with no adverse effects. No notable road noise nor change in efficiency relative to the 18" OEM all season. No regen issues because I have an AWD.
Everything @Bigriver said, except I have the SottoZero's (I bought the winter package off the shelf from Tesla).

Edit: I'm RWD....

#4 ·
the lost (or not) of regen with the recent 2019 software updates.
I believe Tesla fixed this for all tires.

I have the SottoZero 3 on my winter wheels.

#8 ·
AWD and I'm putting the Nokian R3's on this vehicle. I have 19" rims, dropping down to 18" and buying a cheap set of rims so I have an easy swap-out. My first full winter with my Model 3. It was between the X-Ice3 and Nokian for me. Found a good deal here in MN on the R3's (after a price match, 10% discount for MN Tesla Club, 10% rebate) that made it very price competitive to go with the Nokians. I looked at the set from Tesla and was tempted...but I will save at least $400-$450 going with my setup (given - no Tesla branded 18" rims...but it's winter so I really don't care).

Scott

#10 ·
So Tesla sells 18" wheels with Pirelli Sottozero -- but they don't say whether they're the series 2 or 3 -- anybody know what the better option might be for a RWD Model 3? The Series 3 is a little cheaper for some reason...

#17 ·
You really only want studs if you're mostly driving on icy or completely-snow-packed roads. Studded tires are much worse than modern studless snow tires in all other conditions.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tre...ed/snow-tires-studded-tires-vs-studless-tires
"...breakthroughs in winter tire technology have nearly eliminated the need for studs."

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/lett...nd-its-hot-so-lets-talk-about-something-cool-
"In their day the studded tire offered the best snow and ice traction ... but, that day was in the 80's" - article from 2009

This is an interesting video by Nokian, demonstrating that even among studless winter tires, there are different design tradeoffs to consider.

#20 ·
Michelin X-Ice and never look back. Got me threw a Michigan Winter with excellent performance. Had them on the T Sportline 18's, it was an excellent two pronged approach to the winter. The wheels dropped almost 10 pounds per corner compared to my stock 20's and allowed me to run a taller profile tire. The X-Ice winter tires bit into the snow nicely and shortened my stopping distance so I felt in control at all times.

#23 ·
Super happy with the X-ice that I had installed on 18" Aero wheels that I bought from someone local selling on this forum. Regularly took it up skiing all last winter, dealt great with icy roads and ski area parking lots. And that's on a RWD MR.
Good to hear! Got a set of the X-Ice Xi3's waiting in my basement for my LR RWD.... just trying to use up these OEM MXM4 All-Seasons before the swap ;)

#36 · (Edited)
Just to follow on my initial impressions....I had the X-Ice's installed last Saturday and have put about 200mi of mixed driving on them since.

PROS: They ride smoother and softer than the MXM4's even at slightly higher PSI

CONS: On my RWD LR I'm noticing the traction control light coming on with 3/4 or more of full acceleration although I don't really feel them slipping and they definitely don't corner like the MXM4's without getting squirmy. They also add a little bit more cabin noise at highway speeds.

So I'm slightly regretting not going with a more performance oriented winter tire for thrashing around in just the cold and wet....(the way I usually drive) but holding out full judgment until I can test them in some snow/ice/slush where they SHOULD really excel. To be fair it's also been slightly warmer in the past few days, (40-50f) so I'm guessing this is also at the upper limits for a true winter compound. :confused:

Question: I was running the MXM4's at the door jam listed 42PSI..... should I run the X-Ice's at the same or higher/lower pressure?

Attachments

#28 ·
Are studdable winter tires the "right" choice?
"Once again, studies show that studded winter tires perform best on ice while studless winter tires deliver the best handling and braking when the temperature is below freezing, on both wet and dry pavement.

The performance difference is minimal between studded and studless winter tires in snow, slush, and other winter conditions outside of hard-packed snow and ice. " ;)

Link includes other info including a map and listing of US State laws regarding Studded Tires:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/studded-winter-tires
  • Metal studs are prohibited in 11 states: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin (some of these states allow tires with rubber studs; Maryland allows studs only in certain counties).
  • Only six states permit the use of studded tires without restriction: Colorado, Kentucky, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, and Wyoming.
  • Most of the remaining states allow studded tires with date restrictions. For example, in Washington State where the TireBuyer offices are located, studded tires are permitted from November 1-March 31.

Reactions: garsh
#35 ·
I ended up with a set of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D XL. Found it on Craigslist with one season and around 1K miles, it was a great deal. I’m extremely happy with the tires; in dry conditions they’re more fun than the stock tires (sportier) and in snow they have very good grip and predictable limits. They’re a little louder than stock but not more than I expected. Maybe slightly louder than the Blizzaks on my ICE crossover.

If you enjoy driving I recommend these tires!

#39 ·
Using the Continental WinterContact SI Plus Tire:
DON'T. Bad choice.
All over the road. No contact with a bit of snow.
And I'm a seasoned winter driver here in Quebec
They have good ratings. Possible they're mounted in the wrong direction?

Reactions: Mike
#43 ·
Hello all. I got the Model 3 with performance upgrade but kept the 18" tires and general appearances and normal wheels, a little stealth.

Now, want to order winter wheels and tires, but the $2000.00 set of 4 Soto's with wheels and tire pressure sensors (out of stock for now but hopefully avail later) says about these:

"Note: This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade. "

So can I order these anyway, since I did not get the larger 19 or 20 inch wheels? Or is there some other reason that they won't work? My car looks like a standard AWD Dual Motor, it appears, other than some insignia somewhere that someone pointed out to me that I'm unable to locate now.

Thanks, Chris in Curry County and Metro Portland.

#44 ·
I also have a Stealth P. These wheels will be fine. They wouldn't work if you had the P upgrade package because they don't fit over the larger brakes. In order to avoid confusion, anytime you're shopping wheels or tires, just identify your car as a LR AWD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.