Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

If you had to buy 18" Winter Tires for your Model 3 which ones would you choose?

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
Just to follow on my initial impressions....I had the X-Ice's installed last Saturday and have put about 200mi of mixed driving on them since.

PROS: They ride smoother and softer than the MXM4's even at slightly higher PSI

CONS: On my RWD LR I'm noticing the traction control light coming on with 3/4 or more of full acceleration although I don't really feel them slipping and they definitely don't corner like the MXM4's without getting squirmy. They also add a little bit more cabin noise at highway speeds.

So I'm slightly regretting not going with a more performance oriented winter tire for thrashing around in just the cold and wet....(the way I usually drive) but holding out full judgment until I can test them in some snow/ice/slush where they SHOULD really excel. To be fair it's also been slightly warmer in the past few days, (40-50f) so I'm guessing this is also at the upper limits for a true winter compound. :confused:

Question: I was running the MXM4's at the door jam listed 42PSI..... should I run the X-Ice's at the same or higher/lower pressure?
* Review 2.0 - Snow Tested *

Finally got my my new Michelin X-Ice XI3's out in some snow....

PROS: The added bite and control in the snow is drastic and noticeable. Braking is short and inline with no drama. No issues with start and stop traction. Snow sheds out of the tread and digs down to the pavement vs. riding on top of it. The X-Ice are also Eco focused for higher efficiency. The OEM MXM4's were downright scary after just 10k miles on them in wet, ice or snow.

CONS: Outside of extreme cold and snow they will not corner as hard or aggressively as a performance all-season and especially in warmer spirited driving they will feel a bit squirmy at times.

Bottom line the X-Ice excel where they promise and IMO are a no brainer for fellow RWD drivers. AWD cars will do better with the all-seasons than RWD, but you can't deny the strengths of a true winter tire which will be ice/snow braking and control.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Snow

Attachments

Reactions: Mike
You completely missed studded winter tires, which appear to be legal in BC. I'd definitely run those despite the noise.
I have always run winters on any car that i've had. Do you want safety or noise. Studded tires are the best i don't really care how noisey they are. The weather changes alot here in kamloops . It can snow then melt and rain then freeze thats where the studs shine imo!!

Hello all. I got the Model 3 with performance upgrade but kept the 18" tires and general appearances and normal wheels, a little stealth.

Now, want to order winter wheels and tires, but the $2000.00 set of 4 Soto's with wheels and tire pressure sensors (out of stock for now but hopefully avail later) says about these:

"Note: This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade. "

So can I order these anyway, since I did not get the larger 19 or 20 inch wheels? Or is there some other reason that they won't work? My car looks like a standard AWD Dual Motor, it appears, other than some insignia somewhere that someone pointed out to me that I'm unable to locate now.

Thanks, Chris in Curry County and Metro Portland.

Hello all. I got the Model 3 with performance upgrade but kept the 18" tires and general appearances and normal wheels, a little stealth.

Now, want to order winter wheels and tires, but the $2000.00 set of 4 Soto's with wheels and tire pressure sensors (out of stock for now but hopefully avail later) says about these:

"Note: This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade. "

So can I order these anyway, since I did not get the larger 19 or 20 inch wheels? Or is there some other reason that they won't work? My car looks like a standard AWD Dual Motor, it appears, other than some insignia somewhere that someone pointed out to me that I'm unable to locate now.

Thanks, Chris in Curry County and Metro Portland.
I also have a Stealth P. These wheels will be fine. They wouldn't work if you had the P upgrade package because they don't fit over the larger brakes. In order to avoid confusion, anytime you're shopping wheels or tires, just identify your car as a LR AWD.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.