Well, this sucks. Dead car.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
As a new 3 owner. This stuff terrifies me. Mostly because I live 2hrs from the SC.

If I lived less than an hour or so I don't think I would even sweat it.

Oh well.. here's to hoping for the best.
Reminder: Threads like these attract comments from people who've had problems, not those who haven't.

Drive unit failures were pretty rare in the Model 3 Owners Survey. Not absent, but rare. Lower single digits.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My drive units have never failed. It's been 3.5 weeks.
Guys I was wondering if you ever need to call a tow truck and the car has completely shut down how do we give the tow guy the tow hook which is located in the frunk?

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well... from personal experience, it goes like this if you need to back the car out of where it is:

Any towing company working with Tesla should understand how to use Tow Skates. With RWD, they are only needed on the rear wheels, not sure about AWD or Performance.

You will want to say a quick prayer before you see the tow operator reach for his BIG RUBBER HAMMER to hammer the skates underneath the rear tires.

He'll then put fabric straps (DO NOT let them use chains alone!) around the wheels and wench the car onto the flat bed.

ALSO...

Make SURE if you have 18" wheels with Aero covers installed that you remove the covers from all four wheels BEFORE the tow operator puts the fabric straps around the wheels or the straps the surround the tires once on the flat bed.

Attached are pictures I'd rather forget. And yes, I didn't remove the aeros from the front tires, they survived with one getting a little tiny bit scratched from the fabric strap.

Last edited:

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure what this last post means but check out this page of the manual
View attachment 18869
I am aware of this @LUXMAN. The reason I said patch in my above post was you can still open the frunk with a 9v battery (12v dead or not) If your car is dead then you can still tow I guess with the strapping mechanism someone posted/ the tow hook should have been in another location in the car. Thoughts?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am aware of this @LUXMAN. The reason I said patch in my above post was you can still open the frunk with a 9v battery (12v dead or not) If your car is dead then you can still tow I guess with the strapping mechanism someone posted/ the tow hook should have been in another location in the car. Thoughts?
what is the issue with the hook in the frunk? if it were in the trunk or interior of the car, it would not be accessible if the car didn't have power. It is accessible in the frunk without power (plus a 9V)

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure what this last post means but check out this page of the manual

Don’t feel bad if you didn’t know the frunk is not secure on ANY 3.

Stumbled upon a post showing the 9V trick from several months ago but no one really knew if one of the updates fixed it (hint: not yet). This is my car (locked) from a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Stumbled upon a post showing the 9V trick from several months ago but no one really knew if one of the updates fixed it (hint: not yet). This is my car (locked) from a couple weeks ago.

HA. Thanks. I did know that but I didn't understand your post.
"I hope this patch this route" The typo got me. I see now you meant THEY not THIS. It was early when I read it and didn't figure it out. Needed more caffeine:oops:

Last edited:

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
what is the issue with the hook in the frunk? if it were in the trunk or interior of the car, it would not be accessible if the car didn't have power. It is accessible in the frunk without power (plus a 9V)
I was thinking when you apply power to 12v when the battery is dead you can then access the center screen to put the car in tow mode. So then you can also release the frunk no? All i am saying is (and i was not clear) frunk is not a secure place to store things and I was hoping tesla could fix opening the frunk with 9v.

@LUXMAN I fixed my typo

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
but you need to have access to the frunk to get to the 12v.
how would you apply power to the battery without the frunk open?

masto

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was thinking when you apply power to 12v when the battery is dead you can then access the center screen to put the car in tow mode. So then you can also release the frunk no? All i am saying is (and i was not clear) frunk is not a secure place to store things and I was hoping tesla could fix opening the frunk with 9v.

@LUXMAN I fixed my typo
That’s not going to be possible via software.

Bravedog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Watch the video. Remove tow hook cover and apply 12V to the wires. You can use another car battery, a portable jumping battery, or even a 9V battery apparently.
The downside is that this means that the frunk is completely insecure to anyone who knows this.
To get into the regular trunk, they would probably smash the back window and lay down the seats.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can access the positive 12v terminal of the DC-DC converter under the rear seat, if you can get inside the car.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I’m getting my tow hook cover replaced today so figured it didn’t matter if I broke it again so I tried the 9V trick today. I’m on 2018.50. Same result as previous video, 9V still opens the frunk on a locked vehicle.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m getting my tow hook cover replaced today so figured it didn’t matter if I broke it again so I tried the 9V trick today. I’m on 2018.50. Same result as previous video, 9V still opens the frunk on a locked vehicle.
This is by design and has to be this way, no one or software is going to "Fix" this. It's by design. It's the only way in to the Frunk where the 12 v battery is should it need service or be dead.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is by design and has to be this way, no one or software is going to "Fix" this. It's by design. It's the only way in to the Frunk where the 12 v battery is should it need service or be dead.
I think the point is that it can be opened no matter what the state of the 12 V battery is. There was some discussion that it wouldn’t open until the 12 V battery was dead but this seems to be incorrect.