Well, this sucks. Dead car.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

plankeye

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hearing these stories just kills me. They've got to get this under control, and fast. I'm sure they'll make it right. But it's hard to take when a lot of us are coming from much cheaper, yet more reliable vehicles.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
This is interesting...I think I may have the exact same problem but Tesla hasn’t figured it out yet. I had my 3 for 3 weeks (haven’t even made the first payment yet) and about 10 days ago I got in and everything seemed normal except the same error, car needs service power reduced, and wouldn’t come out of drive. Called roadside and they towed to the sc where they have been working to find the problem, they said it’s been escalated as high as possible with engineering and while it will drive now there are all sorts of errors. They did give me a brand new, 640 miles, p100d loaner but it’s locekf to chill mode and limited to 80mph (they said this is a corporate decision). I want my car back, hopefully soon. Here are photos of the error, also note the dashes where the P,D,R,N should be

Attachments

Bryan@Peachstate Detail

TOO Advertiser
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
As someone who has been driving Tesla's since Sept of 2014, I can tell you that "stuff" does happen. In June of 2016 our MX90D that had 3000 miles on it lost steering assist (think no power steering in a ICE car) outside of Philadelphia while returning to Atlanta on a road trip. We left it in a safe place for them to pick up and they uber'd us to the airport. They offered us premium rental car, which since I work for a major airline, lets just fly back to Atlanta standby. I had already talked to my service guy in Atlanta and they would leave us a loaner at the airport. Our MX would be shipped back to Atlanta when it was done. After playing the standby game at the airport, it looked like we were going nowhere. I called the local service center to get a premium rental car, this was approx 3 hours after leaving the car. Service rep said your MX is just about done being repaired. Loose ground causing the issue. So they uber'd use to service center and had our MX charging when we arrived. The next supercharger south was down, so we waited about an hour more to charge to reach the next SC. Cost us about 5 hours total. Not horrible at all IMO.

Bryan@Peachstate Detail

TOO Advertiser
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
This is interesting...I think I may have the exact same problem but Tesla hasn’t figured it out yet. I had my 3 for 3 weeks (haven’t even made the first payment yet) and about 10 days ago I got in and everything seemed normal except the same error, car needs service power reduced, and wouldn’t come out of drive. Called roadside and they towed to the sc where they have been working to find the problem, they said it’s been escalated as high as possible with engineering and while it will drive now there are all sorts of errors. They did give me a brand new, 640 miles, p100d loaner but it’s locekf to chill mode and limited to 80mph (they said this is a corporate decision). I want my car back, hopefully soon. Here are photos of the error, also note the dashes where the P,D,R,N should be
Yes, 80 MPH max has always been in effect on loaners since way back, but the chill mode is a new one.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't see any dashes in these photos, but good choice of music

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From pictures and tear down videos I'm thinking the battery is pretty dang easy to replace. Several fasteners of some type, likely screws all around and a few high voltage plugs. Probably couldn't be simpler.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've had our Model 3 for 3 weeks, threw the same codes, including car will not charge but it would still come out of drive. We haven't made the first payment, either. I called Roadside Service and it was towed to the SC. They checked it the next day and my 3 needs a new High Voltage Battery. It has been escalated. Checked yesterday and they're hoping the battery will come in next week which will be one week since it's been towed. I'm a bit nervous because I was told that it will be the first HV battery in a 3 to be replaced by this SC. :(
Im sure they will take great care with your car. There have been others done at other locations, so at least Tesla should have support for your local guys in what needs to be done.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Whatever became of this @Vincent J SantaLucia ? This was back in August...

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Last edited:

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
like so many others, that come here to post a single complaint and never reply afterwards
Unfortunate because he like many others came here in a time of need and received plenty of answers, guess people are forgetting how forums are supposed to work?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had the same issue. I was in the middle of a road trip.
We were told the high voltage battery temperature sensor was bad.
Replaced the high voltage battery in 1 1/2 days.
This in encouraging to me. We only had our 3 for 3 weeks then it threw Unable to Charge, Power Reduced, and Car May Not Restart codes. It was towed to the the SC last week and they said they have to replace the high voltage battery. I'm kinda freaked out about it but it looks like it only took a short time for you after they received the part. How has your 3 been running since then?

Dinozero

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
As a new 3 owner. This stuff terrifies me. Mostly because I live 2hrs from the SC.

If I lived less than an hour or so I don't think I would even sweat it.

Oh well.. here's to hoping for the best.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As a new 3 owner. This stuff terrifies me. Mostly because I live 2hrs from the SC.

If I lived less than an hour or so I don't think I would even sweat it.

Oh well.. here's to hoping for the best.
Hey, don't worry too much. My Model 3 is between 5 and 15 days away from the closest SC (in Honolulu) -- takes two days to ship, but there is only one barge per week for cars and it's often full ;-)
So far, so good; if there is a serious problem, I'll have to drive a rental ICE for a while -- yucky, of course, but it wasn't so long ago I was doing that.
Incidentally, called Tesla Honolulu Saturday because my glove box won't stay open, ranger is flying in tomorrow. Tesla's service may or may not be at the level of Rolls Royce's, but it sure beats any dealer's or standard brand's.