Well....the road decided to chomp on my rims and tires.....annoyed to say the least

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As the title says.....at less than 300 miles on my P3D.....I managed to suffer rim and tire damage on both drivers side wheels.....who would have thought that switching lanes on a highway would result in this.......but it is what it is........(oh the irony however as it occurred in a construction zone where they were paving new asphalt lanes.....initial merge onto the highway was into a rough non-paved lane......wanted to get over onto the "smooth" paved lane and when I merged over it seems the geniuses that put down the asphalt left what seemed like a grand-canyon caliber step-up (most likely a non-tapered cliff) that decided to dine on both wheels and tires).....Unfortunately....I couldn't appreciate this "step-up" well until it was too late because it was dark out and of course new black asphalt to boot......both tires have small "tears" in the sidewall (seems like just an outer thin layer of rubber lifted up in those areas....no bubbling of the side wall or steel belts showing....its as if a thin outer rubber layer "peeled" for lack of a better description)....in addition both rims have curb rash like damage to the outer lip (albeit a bad rash) in those locations......I don't think I can ever recall having curbed a rim on any of my cars....so for this to happen.....and out of all places switching lanes on a highway.....is beyond annoying.....sigh......wondering why Tesla decided to go with a combo that literally has the rim overhanging the tire....virtually no protection whatsoever....especially on these very low profile tires on the P3D.....

The car drives perfectly fine otherwise.....and as far as I can tell the inner side of the passenger side tires/rims are okay........

Does anyone know of a good mobile rim repair service in the Chicago-land area......or a good rim repair shop to take the car to that does same day repair.

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I don't think I can ever recall having curbed a rim on any of my cars....so for this to happen.....and out of all places switching lanes on a highway.....is beyond annoying.....sigh......wondering why Tesla decided to go with a combo that literally has the rim overhanging the tire....virtually no protection whatsoever....especially on these very low profile tires on the P3D.....
Sorry about your mishap. To answer your question, I think that is a major contributor to why the Model 3 has such precise steering response. It's steering is almost telepathic, even with the 45 series 18" All season Michelins. It's very favorable geometry for steering response to have the rim wider than the tread. And, I don't know this, but it probably reduces rolling resistance a bit too. I think I'll be sticking with 18" wheels on the Model 3 for the 45 profile.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear about your misshap but it’s very very very common to see Model 3 with curbed rims. Part of the rim design is for handling and also aerodynamics. The rims are very pronounced and almost flush with with tire profile.

I highly recommend a set of wheelbands or wheel blades to protect your rim edges from light curbing.

They don’t look bad and are cheap insurance in case it happens.

6986f4f1-5433-4613-8a1d-9b6dd7adca6b-jpeg.16427

Last edited:

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
As the title says.....at less than 300 miles on my P3D.....I managed to suffer rim and tire damage on both drivers side wheels.....who would have thought that switching lanes on a highway would result in this.......but it is what it is........(oh the irony however as it occurred in a construction zone where they were paving new asphalt lanes.....initial merge onto the highway was into a rough non-paved lane......wanted to get over onto the "smooth" paved lane and when I merged over it seems the geniuses that put down the asphalt left what seemed like a grand-canyon caliber step-up (most likely a non-tapered cliff) that decided to dine on both wheels and tires).....Unfortunately....I couldn't appreciate this "step-up" well until it was too late because it was dark out and of course new black asphalt to boot......both tires have small "tears" in the sidewall (seems like just an outer thin layer of rubber lifted up in those areas....no bubbling of the side wall or steel belts showing....its as if a thin outer rubber layer "peeled" for lack of a better description)....in addition both rims have curb rash like damage to the outer lip (albeit a bad rash) in those locations......I don't think I can ever recall having curbed a rim on any of my cars....so for this to happen.....and out of all places switching lanes on a highway.....is beyond annoying.....sigh......wondering why Tesla decided to go with a combo that literally has the rim overhanging the tire....virtually no protection whatsoever....especially on these very low profile tires on the P3D.....

The car drives perfectly fine otherwise.....and as far as I can tell the inner side of the passenger side tires/rims are okay........

Does anyone know of a good mobile rim repair service in the Chicago-land area......or a good rim repair shop to take the car to that does same day repair.
@VoltageDrop,

Informative post. Sorry you’ve had to deal with this so early on in the ownership of your P3D. We had a similar area of construction where I live and purposely avoided the area until all the fresh new asphalt in its entirety was complete for this type of fear. Some of the road joints between the scraped and new asphalt were horrendous to say the least. Both parallel and perpendicular to the drivers path especially on a set of bridge overpass joints. I’m sure they would have resulted in bent rims unless you slowed down to a creeping speed which often wasn’t feasible during traffic.
What did you do for tire replacement. Did you call Tesla roadside for a flatbed and or order new PS4’s?

Ski

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@VoltageDrop,

What did you do for tire replacement. Did you call Tesla roadside for a flatbed and or order new PS4’s?

Ski
Yup agree with you in that I tend to also stay away from construction areas if I can......but this was the route to get where I needed to go......there was another way but was farther/longer.....in hindsight....would have readily went that way to avoid this scenario......but it is ridiculous that they didn't taper the edge of the asphalt to avoid this.....I am pretty sure that I wasn't the only one with low-profile tires that had damage as a result of this..........

No need for a tow......car drove fine and tires still appear fine (no bubbles, loss of air, belt showing etc....) I still have to get to a tire place to let them look at them and see what they recommend....but I feel that the integrity of the sidewalls have remained intact.....we'll see.....as for the rims.....still looking for a reputable wheel shop to repair them......

I highly recommend a set of wheelbands or wheel blades to protect your rim edges from light curbing.

They don’t look bad and are cheap insurance in case it happens.
Agree.....but I am not sure how much they would have helped in this particular scenario (highway speeds)

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have now decided that the tire/wheel combination is out of the norm.
After driving hundreds of cars, The Model 3 is getting wheel rash at a rate much higher than other cars
The issue is that the rim sticks out as far as the tire. Most cars have the rubber tire sticking out and is the recipient of curb rash

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yup agree with you in that I tend to also stay away from construction areas if I can......but this was the route to get where I needed to go......there was another way but was farther/longer.....in hindsight....would have readily went that way to avoid this scenario......but it is ridiculous that they didn't taper the edge of the asphalt to avoid this.....I am pretty sure that I wasn't the only one with low-profile tires that had damage as a result of this..........

No need for a tow......car drove fine and tires still appear fine (no bubbles, loss of air, belt showing etc....) I still have to get to a tire place to let them look at them and see what they recommend....but I feel that the integrity of the sidewalls have remained intact.....we'll see.....as for the rims.....still looking for a reputable wheel shop to repair them......

Agree.....but I am not sure how much they would have helped in this particular scenario (highway speeds)
@VoltageDrop,

I’m glad it was just Tire rash and rim rash. When I started reading your post I originally thought it was going down the venue of two blown tires and bent rims! Glad that wasn’t the case. I have friends that have had rash repair by mobile rim repair guys for approx $100 a Tire give or take. Albeit on the 18’s. I don’t know what the cost would be on 20 Sports?

Ski

DeaneG

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most high performance cars have a rim and tire setup exactly like the 20"/35 series on yours. They are very prone to damage on anything but the smoothest roads. In my opinion, they are just not practical for use on a daily driver. I daily-drove 19" rims with 30 series tires for 5 years, and damaged my rims twice by just entering a driveway at an odd angle in heavy traffic. For this reason, I stuck with 18" rims on my P3D.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Something you might consider - if you recall exactly where you were and the date, you can contact that city, speak with the road construction group, mention that their, or their contractor's work damaged your car. They might be able to cover it.

Years ago, I had an asset damaged by local construction. I contacted the construction company and they asked me to file a claim. They paid for the entire cost of the asset (not just the repair price.) Some construction companies carry insurance for damages caused by their work and it seemed like an everyday sort of thing for them, whereas I was mentally prepared for an argument and negotiation. I.e., it was a lot easier to get compensated than I had originally expected.

Their construction screw up should not be your burden and they should compensate you (my 2 cents...)