Well, THAT was embarrassing! (Screen freeze)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

fritter63

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, headed out wine tasting today with some of our neighbors. Got to show off my SR+ to them. So we turn onto the freeway, accelerate to speed, and one of them says "Are you REALLY doing 22 MPH??????!!!".

Found that the screen had froze with the radio station display up. No response to anything. Couldn't dismiss it, switch to other controls, no speedometer change, yada yada yada. Had to pull off at the next off ramp to reboot. Also took what seemed like forever to actually come up again.

Had to swear that had never happened on either of our 3's before!

Anyone else?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is always at an inopportune time. You can do the two thumb salute reboot while driving. I'm not sure if Tesla says that, but it has been done many times with no impact.

fritter63

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is always at an inopportune time. You can do the two thumb salute reboot while driving. I'm not sure if Tesla says that, but it has been done many times with no impact.
Good to know. I didn't want to risk it with other people on the car!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To help give you confidence in that many have reported it, and blinkers and all other functions still work, so you don't have to worry about driving blind or others not knowing that you are signaling, etc.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had to two thumb salute on Friday so I did it sitting in a left turn lane at an intersection I knew was excruciatingly long. So my left turn signal was on when I did the reboot. But as soon as the screen went black for the reboot the signal stopped. at least the sound did. I should have checked for a reflection on the car ahead but did not think to do that.

when the reboot finished the signal sound returned.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So my left turn signal was on when I did the reboot. But as soon as the screen went black for the reboot the signal stopped. at least the sound did. I should have checked for a reflection on the car ahead but did not think to do that.

when the reboot finished the signal sound returned.
Signals still work when screen is blank even when there is no sound.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, have had to do it while in motion, really a non event doing the two finger reboot. Just ignore that your screen is blank for what sees to be an interminable amount of time.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But as soon as the screen went black for the reboot the signal stopped. at least the sound did.
Only the sound did.
The signals themselves continue to work. But Tesla uses the entertainment system & speakers to create the sound, so the sound goes away when you reboot the entertainment system computer.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As others have stated, you can reboot while driving. I actually do it intentionally when someone asks the “dangers” of a Tesla if the computer crashes. I’d intentionally reboot it in the middle of a drive at a higher speed to show them that the vehicle continues to operate fine without the screen. A 21st century version of a stuck instrument gauge/cluster. Except we don’t have to pay a mechanic to fix it, we can fix it ourselves with just two thumbs! :)

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe it was @MelindaV who posted the warning that the 2 finger salute somehow caused the frunk to pop, warning against reboots while moving unless absolutely necessary.

sduck

Country
Country
What version are you on? There was aversion a few iterations ago that was prone to this - have you missed some updates?

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, headed out wine tasting today with some of our neighbors. Got to show off my SR+ to them. So we turn onto the freeway, accelerate to speed, and one of them says "Are you REALLY doing 22 MPH??????!!!".

Found that the screen had froze with the radio station display up. No response to anything. Couldn't dismiss it, switch to other controls, no speedometer change, yada yada yada. Had to pull off at the next off ramp to reboot. Also took what seemed like forever to actually come up again.

Had to swear that had never happened on either of our 3's before!

Anyone else?
I'm curious what the reaction of your neighbors was afterward. Did they accept that this was a rare occurrence? Were they still impressed with the car? Or did they walk away planning to stay as far away from Teslas as possible?

fritter63

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious what the reaction of your neighbors was afterward. Did they accept that this was a rare occurrence? Were they still impressed with the car? Or did they walk away planning to stay as far away from Teslas as possible?
There were still definitely impressed, especially after demonstrating autopilot on back country wine roads (just one stripe in the middle).

Their daughter was most obviously impressed. Her parents are too, but they are hardcore "We'll never drive anything but a big truck or suv, because SAFETY" (they got in a rollover accident with their toddler son and walked away unscathed). Now they're convinced no other type of vehicle can do that.