Question weird click/clang noise from driver side rear wheel when accelerating ( M3 DMLR)

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hearing the same click. Thanks to this thread, I have set up a service center appt. Glad to have this forum to help with research.

Reading in some of the TMC threads referenced that service centers can have different reactions. Will post result here.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got this rear wheel click on Acceleration and deceleration fixed. Service Techs already know about this issue. Service Tech claimed it is something to do with a washer between axle nut and hub is moving and making clicking noise. It did not make any sense to me. Axle nut is pretty tight on the axle, and there should not be any backlash between hub and axle splines. Anyways, they lubed and tightened axle nut, also changed charge port pins (It seems a TSB, not reported by me). See below notes from service.

Concern: Customer states: Clicking sound from rear wheels área of the car when accelerating or decelerating. Seems
coming from under the car in the Gear wheel area. Sound is distinct metal click. With windows down accelerating will
clearly audible.
Technician performed an inspection of the rear axles and found no damage present. Lubricated the mating face of the rear
half-shafts and hub surfaces. Test drove vehicle and verified the noise is no longer present.
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)

Pay Type: Goodwill - Service 0.00

Concern: Replace Charge Port Pin Deadfronts
Replaced the charge port pins with updated parts.
Correction: Replace Charge Port Insulator Pins With Updated Parts
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
DEADFRONT,PIN,CP,M3,SERVICE(1470434-00-C) 2.0

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty 0.00

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup, solution applied for my car was lube and tightening. I haven’t heard the clicks since. Fingers crossed.

EarlyBuyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I have the same issue with mine. RWD, long range, 27,000 miles. Dropped it off at SC this AM to be looked at along with replacing charge port deadpins (warranty repair). I had a somewhat similar (but nearly continuous) clicking/screeching sound at the start of the 2019 and that issue was due to rear brake spring clips, which were replaced under warranty.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like I have this too, but slightly quieter and only happens about 10% of the time. I'll wait until it's more reproducible. Thanks for posting!