Question weird click/clang noise from driver side rear wheel when accelerating ( M3 DMLR)

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
has anyone ever heard the noise on the two videos attached ?
It started recently, and i took a look behind, took off the wheel, saw nothing out of the ordinary, no loose pieces, arms look fine, bushings also. At least on the outside.
Kind of reminds me of what brake pads rattles sound like when you forget to put in the anti-rattle kit on a DIY job...

Here is the link to the video ( i couldnt post videos inline...)

Any help would be appreciated ( i did schedule an appt with service but its in 2 weeks)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
has anyone ever heard the noise on the two videos attached ?
It started recently, and i took a look behind, took off the wheel, saw nothing out of the ordinary, no loose pieces, arms look fine, bushings also. At least on the outside.
Kind of reminds me of what brake pads rattles sound like when you forget to put in the anti-rattle kit on a DIY job...

Here is the link to the video ( i couldnt post videos inline...)

Any help would be appreciated ( i did schedule an appt with service but its in 2 weeks)
your link isn't working (or possibly requires one to be logged into reddit?)

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You mean tire treads ? Nope. I looked at the tire when i took it off. tapped on each arm and joint nothing weird. I just realized it happens specifically when a accelerate hard and then “unclicks” when i let go off gas. The click is easily 3 times louder then the unclick. So maybe an arm joint or the suspension ? It also could be the axel.....

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! That sounds just like it. I feel like there is room in the shaft attachment and it kind of clicks every time you create torque in either direction. (accelerating or decelerating)

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got my car from repair and the invioce was word for word exactly the same as SpiffyWerks. Lube and retorque the axle nuts , and the click noise is no more!

Thanks!

1560910868103-png.26984

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same symptoms. Started hearing it when the weather got nicer and I was driving with windows open. So I am not sure when it started - had car since October. I described the noise as almost sounding ELECTRICAL in nature - like maybe a poor termination causing an arc/flash.

The service tech diagnosed it right away as a loose axel nut. I was back in my car going back to work in 30 minutes. They also installed a DUAL MOTOR badge.

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m having the same issue. It’s been happening for a while, but with my windows down more often now...it’s a lot more noticeable.

atod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
make an service appointment. Really easy fix since they know and have it documented.

PaulK

Country
Country
Same thing, LR RWD at 12,000 miles. Fixed as above in about 10 minutes while I waited at the service center - which was strangely quiet. Only one other customer and not many cars around.

LV Acrobat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this issue about 4 months ago, took it in and they just replaced the axle on that side. Now the other side is making the noose but less often. Seems like they have a known fix now. When I can reproduce the sound more I will make appointment.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anybody witnessed a sharp clicking noise from the rear drivetrain?
It happens as load is applied accelerating or decelerating, once loaded, no more noise can be heard.

It reminds me of a problem Audi had on the TT, the front driveshafts splines going through the hubs would move a tiny amount (even with the humongous torque applied on the shaft nut) creating that kind of noise. They ended up mounting them in loctite (bad for removal) and eventually came up with a new design.

Sounds like a service call to me...

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks @Frully !
So this is something requiring a visit to the shop...no chance a ranger could do it at home?
Will have to ask when I call.
Thanks for moving my post, I searched the forum but missed this thread
No prob - often threads aren't titled in a very searchable fashion so it can come down to that 'recent memory' brainium goop remembering the posts :)

Edit: With any luck it seems as if the fix is the torquing procedure, but they often take the axle apart in the process. Mobile should be able to handle it but I can't speak for them. Keep us appraised.