Weird buzzing sound from dash area?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

bt3k

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have a weird buzzing/static sound coming from the dash of my Model 3, a service appointment is probably in order, but wanted to see if anyone has heard something similar? https://clyp.it/kshqsiny

Seems to happen at lower speeds, as I didn't notice it on the freeway.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it sounds like a vibration, which if it's only at some speeds, may make sense. whatever the cause though, bring it up next time you are at service though.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Received my Model 3 four days ago. I noticed the last couple of days this strange hissing sound near the glovebox. It happens when I'm stopped, when I'm driving at low and high speeds, when the air is on or off, etc. I can't figure out what is causing it. It stops for some reason but it will start again when I haven't done anything different.

It's loud enough to be annoying when listening to talk radio.

I searched online, these forums and many others and I found two people recently having the same question and they posted videos on youtube. View the below links to hear the sound and let me know what you think.

Video 1:
Video 2:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was just reading about this on another forum and added it to my checklist. How bad is it in your car?
Mike Land: It is loud enough that it is annoying when listening to talk radio or sports. When music is on, I suppose it drowns it out. Even driving at high speeds (radio/music off) I can still hear it. Other people notice it when sitting in my car. I have to take my car in for a rear left taillight that isn't flush, so I'll have them look into this too. I can't take it in for another 2 weeks though.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems loud, but I wonder if is some sort of intake of cabin air for the automatic AC? Most cars pull cabin air back in across a thermostat device to know if the air needs more AC or Heat depending on mode. I wouldn't expect to hear it, I never have in another car, but I know that some do that. In a GMC pickup it was above the drivers head behind a small round grill, but I never once heard it until the day I stuck a pen in there to see what it was and found it actually was a very small fan.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems loud, but I wonder if is some sort of intake of cabin air for the automatic AC? Most cars pull cabin air back in across a thermostat device to know if the air needs more AC or Heat depending on mode. I wouldn't expect to hear it, I never have in another car, but I know that some do that. In a GMC pickup it was above the drivers head behind a small round grill, but I never once heard it until the day I stuck a pen in there to see what it was and found it actually was a very small fan.
Not sure. One thing I noticed is that the sound is not consistent. It has different sound pitches that vary. I initially thought it was some sort of fluid making noise as it goes through tubes/pumps, but not really sure.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From the videos and other posts it seems this sound is coming from the small speaker under the glove box. I'd guess it's the speaker they use for making warning sounds, turn signals, etc. Seems like it is not properly shielded or is getting interference from somewhere. I'll be interested to know how they fix it but it is a known issue at this point.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From the videos and other posts it seems this sound is coming from the small speaker under the glove box. I'd guess it's the speaker they use for making warning sounds, turn signals, etc. Seems like it is not properly shielded or is getting interference from somewhere. I'll be interested to know how they fix it but it is a known issue at this point.
I’ve read some threads that it might be some interference and one owner placed his phone just right and the sound went away (couldn’t determine if it was the same sound as mine as there was no example). I’m going to test that thesis this weekend as I use my phone for various things in the car so it might be it.

I will report back on Monday. Or if I can’t find the answer, I’ll report back in a couple weeks when I can take it in to Tesla when I get my back headlight flush with the other lights.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried a combination of things over the weekend, including not bringing my phone on some drives and I can't figure out what is causing this noise. I'll bring it up when I go in for service.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car has a similar hissing sound, but more consistent (never goes away). It doesn't seem as loud as the noise in the videos, and it's only detectable if the car is stopped with no music playing.

Country
Country
Hey Peppington,

I am one of the guys that posted the video of the hissing.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/picked-my-model-3-earlier-today-does-anyone-know-issue

My car has been in the shop 2 times to resolve this issue, but it has yet to be fixed. From what I have been told, they first tried flushing the HVAC system and most recently they tried changing out the speaker.
I was really hoping this would be the fix, but just picked it up today and still experience this sound.
hjdeguzman on the Tesla official forum states he was able to fix the issue, so I'm hoping he can share his fix with us.
Please let us know if you find a solution in the mean time.
Thanks!

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This started happening to me today. Picked up my car on Monday. Very interested to find out what the cause is.

edit: i read somewhere regarding this sound in a model S. Someone said it was the pressure in the AC system equalizing or something. Not sure if its true or what that means. But I will keep an eye on it. If anyone is reading this forum and knows the real cause, please post here. It will help service technicians identify a solution for everyone.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Peppington,

I am one of the guys that posted the video of the hissing.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/picked-my-model-3-earlier-today-does-anyone-know-issue

My car has been in the shop 2 times to resolve this issue, but it has yet to be fixed. From what I have been told, they first tried flushing the HVAC system and most recently they tried changing out the speaker.
I was really hoping this would be the fix, but just picked it up today and still experience this sound.
hjdeguzman on the Tesla official forum states he was able to fix the issue, so I'm hoping he can share his fix with us.
Please let us know if you find a solution in the mean time.
Thanks!
Thanks for sharing. I'll circle back with this thread once I take my car in.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It happened again to me yesterday. I put the car in park, got out then back in. Started the car. It went away. Makes me think it might be a software issue? Like maybe one of the speakers is hissing or something? My AC/vents were off the whole time, so i doubt its related to that.

Country
Country
For now, I just put some blue tape over the speaker grill and it eliminated the noise. I am taking my car in again tomorrow, so I will update you guys here if they get to the bottom of this.
I think it’s some kind of electro-magnetic interference from other electrical components or something like that.
Maybe they can sheild the speaker wire or re-route the wire to avoid close contact with other high voltage components?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For now, I just put some blue tape over the speaker grill and it eliminated the noise. I am taking my car in again tomorrow, so I will update you guys here if they get to the bottom of this.
I think it’s some kind of electro-magnetic interference from other electrical components or something like that.
Maybe they can sheild the speaker wire or re-route the wire to avoid close contact with other high voltage components?
If blue tape fixes it, then it sounds like your speaker grill is loose and vibrating.