Web page translation

Guy Weathersby

Years ago Chrome started offering to translate web pages. I tried it a few times the results were sort of useful. I could, with some effort figure out what it was trying to say, but it was painfully bad English. So I avoided non-English pages. A couple of weeks ago someone posted a link to a Der Spiegle article which sounded interesting so I clicked. As expected the page came up in German with a message box offering to translate it into English. With some trepidation I pressed the translate button.

To my surprise the resulting page was very readable. I would not say that I was perfect, but I seen many English language sites which had worse grammar. Since then I have read Danish, French, and Italian sites. The translations were all easy to read.

I had heard that in recent months Google translation had improved remarkably, but I was amazed.

Two points seem relevant to this group. First if someone posts a link to a foreign language page, give it a try, at least if you are using Chrome.

Second, the spectacular improvements in translation give me even greater hope for autonomous cars.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
[QUOTE="Guy Weathersby, post: 14995, member: 1893" (...) Two points seem relevant to this group. First, if someone posts a link to a foreign language page, give it a try, at least if you are using Chrome. (...)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for sharing, @Guy Weathersby !!
Since I'm the one who posted the article in German, though I then tried to provide key takeaways in English, I'm pleased to know there is a way for more here to benefit from it! :)