Web browser and webex

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Shadow LI

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey all. Sorry if this doesn’t fit here but would love to see the web browser support WebEx. Not sure if anyone is working on that or anyone has any insight but anytime I try to logon to WebEx on the Tesla browser it tells me the browser is not supported. Thoughts?

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It looks like webex requires java to function.

Webex Meetings Suite System Requirements
I saw that too, and started to reply with that, then realized maybe it was for their desktop (non-browser) product. TBH, I know nothing about WebEx.

TBH, I have zero faith in anything that requires Java to run in a desktop environment.

Last edited:

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Sucks. Work in the road quite a bit. Would be a game changer.
I had very good luck taking meetings in the car with my phone called in for audio, a hotspot going, and my regular work laptop. My laptop will charge over USB so the battery was draining only slowly while showing the meeting room. If I parked in a place with good wifi, I'd use that, or make sure to find such a place if I ever had to present.

Of course I will not admit to having any personal experience that this setup will work when the car is in motion. :)

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not that it's related to webex, but Google Hangouts is getting tantalizingly close to working. It's been slowly letting me get further along. Now it successfully joins the meeting, and I can see the other participants in the meeting, but it quickly grays that out and puts up a dialog error message saying something to the effect that it can't access my microphone and camera and it tells me to fix that. However, after a few seconds, the dialog comes down and I'm in like Flynn!

This tells me that it actually detects that it HAS a microphone and a camera--it's just that the browser is not set to allow access to them. It would be fantastic if the browser could just access my mic as this would avoid having to fiddle around with getting my phone to connect to the meeting (I've not been successful getting the in-meeting audio controls to call my phone, but this is mainly due to the fact that the on-screen keyboard covers up a part of the screen I need to see--I need to play around with it a bit more).

JeopardE

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
WebEx has a web app that I've used successfully to join WebEx meetings in the car ever since they upgraded the browser to Chromium. It's quite awesome actually. Just click the "join by browser" link.

Yes, no webcam support, but who needs that? :)

mikek1966

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey, JeopardE -- I can't get WebEx to work in my Model 3 (2020, HW3. Software version 2020.4.1 4a4ad401858f). I'm located in the U.S. Now that I look at your car from 2018, I'm thinking that something in the new hardware or software updates prevents me from joining a WebEx meeting. I don't need voice, video, etc.... I just want to see the slides (while parked at a supercharger). Many thanks for any suggestions!!!

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey, JeopardE -- I can't get WebEx to work in my Model 3 (2020, HW3. Software version 2020.4.1 4a4ad401858f). I'm located in the U.S. Now that I look at your car from 2018, I'm thinking that something in the new hardware or software updates prevents me from joining a WebEx meeting. I don't need voice, video, etc.... I just want to see the slides (while parked at a supercharger). Many thanks for any suggestions!!!
When you try to join, what happens?

SimonMatthews

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It looks like webex requires java to function.

Webex Meetings Suite System Requirements
That's not clear. For Windows, it states:
Java isn't required for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome users.

Under Linux, they give a set of requirements which are unachievable today (32-bit browser and libraries), but it does work (badly) under Chrome.

I don't think Cisco has a clue. I don't think that WebEx is a product that is being actively supported.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I guess I'm a decade or two behind the times but I never heard of Spotify or Slacker before I got my Model 3. I can't download anything via the browser in the car and have no idea how to replace it or upgrade it. I also have a question about the Premium services such as Netflix, U-tube or any of the other services since I don't subscribe to them at home. Do I need to have membership with those services to use them in my car? How do you download a file for a new browser or upgrade the browser in the car? Does the fact that I live 100 miles away from the Tesla Dealer (and the big city) mean I can't get thse services in my car? I have limited Satellite internet at home and metered service. Does that make any difference?

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I guess I'm a decade or two behind the times but I never heard of Spotify or Slacker before I got my Model 3. I can't download anything via the browser in the car and have no idea how to replace it or upgrade it.
You don't need to. Updates come along with your car's regular updates. It's a good idea to log your car into your home wireless network if you can so that you get updates regularly. Tesla sends out updates every few months.

I also have a question about the Premium services such as Netflix, U-tube or any of the other services since I don't subscribe to them at home. Do I need to have membership with those services to use them in my car? How do you download a file for a new browser or upgrade the browser in the car?
YouTube doesn't need memberships, but the other services do. You don't need to download anything, but you'll need your username and password for each of the services.

Does the fact that I live 100 miles away from the Tesla Dealer (and the big city) mean I can't get thse services in my car? I have limited Satellite internet at home and metered service. Does that make any difference?
The metered service might be an issue since you need to download updates to the car every few months. If there is another location you visit regularly who has wireless service you can connect to, you can download from there. There's nothing you need from Tesla's service centers on a regular basis as far as I know.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for all the replies. I have more questions. How do I update or replace the Browser? I've tried to replace it before with Firefox and started a download but it always quit before it finished downloading. Do I need to download it to my home computer then transfer it somehow to the car? What other programs can I add to the car's system? How do I go about doing that? The car seems to download all the Tesla updates pretty well (I have Version 2020.8.1 ae1963092ff8 on there now. Those updates are set to run at night when the metering is off.) Do those updates include improvements to the browser as well as the other built-in programs? What additional programs can I install? How? Can I add memory to the system if I need to? Sorry to load all these questions at once, but I never even knew about some of the features on the car. I've just been driving the car and loving it the way it was when I got it.
[Also, I haven't played a computer game since DOS 3.1 came out so I know I'm out of date.] Now that I have a surplus of time and can't go out I figure I may try to play in the car while it's parked.
Something I'd like to have would be the ability to transfer some files or programs from my home computer to the car. I'd also like to be able to review the security videos on-site in the car. Thanks in advance this time.

SimonMatthews

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for all the replies. I have more questions. How do I update or replace the Browser? I've tried to replace it before with Firefox and started a download but it always quit before it finished downloading. Do I need to download it to my home computer then transfer it somehow to the car? What other programs can I add to the car's system? How do I go about doing that? The car seems to download all the Tesla updates pretty well (I have Version 2020.8.1 ae1963092ff8 on there now. Those updates are set to run at night when the metering is off.) Do those updates include improvements to the browser as well as the other built-in programs? What additional programs can I install? How? Can I add memory to the system if I need to? Sorry to load all these questions at once, but I never even knew about some of the features on the car. I've just been driving the car and loving it the way it was when I got it.
[Also, I haven't played a computer game since DOS 3.1 came out so I know I'm out of date.] Now that I have a surplus of time and can't go out I figure I may try to play in the car while it's parked.
Something I'd like to have would be the ability to transfer some files or programs from my home computer to the car. I'd also like to be able to review the security videos on-site in the car. Thanks in advance this time.
I think that the answer to most of those questions is "you can't".

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How do I update or replace the Browser?
You don't. It's not possible.
What other programs can I add to the car's system?
None. You cannot add any programs to your car.
Do those updates include improvements to the browser as well as the other built-in programs?
Sometimes they do, yes. For instance, the browser originally was something that Tesla wrote themselves, and it was terrible. At some point, they updated it to Chromium, and now it's actually usable.
What additional programs can I install?
None. About the closest you can get to this is to use the web browser to access various "online apps". Some people have curated some nice collections too. But you're never able to actually install anything.
Can I add memory to the system if I need to?
No.
Something I'd like to have would be the ability to transfer some files or programs from my home computer to the car.
You can't treat the car as just another computer. The only files that you can transfer to the car are audio files. Plug in a USB drive that contains audio files, and the car can play them through the sound system. But the files remain on the USB drive - they aren't copied to the car's internal storage.
I'd also like to be able to review the security videos on-site in the car.
It's currently not possible, but we do expect Tesla to add this ability at some point in the future.