Water Stains in Central Brake Light

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys,

I noticed there are water stains inside the housing of the rear brake light. I believe this happened when the rear tint was being done. They use a lot of water during installation, and I think the water ran into the rear light housing...then evaporated leaving grey/brown water stains.

Any clue how to get into that? I really cannot see an easy way to clean it out.

Thoughts?

TIA

Mike

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys,

I noticed there are water stains inside the housing of the rear brake light. I believe this happened when the rear tint was being done. They use a lot of water during installation, and I think the water ran into the rear light housing...then evaporated leaving grey/brown water stains.

Any clue how to get into that? I really cannot see an easy way to clean it out.

Thoughts?

TIA

Mike
I removed all of the plastic panels and pulled the horizontal piece behind the seats about a foot to get at the brake light. Seems like a lot of work but only took about 5 minutes to get to it. In my case the window in front of the brake light had water stains. I reached up through the trunk to clean that portion of the window.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I removed all of the plastic panels and pulled the horizontal piece behind the seats about a foot to get at the brake light. Seems like a lot of work but only took about 5 minutes to get to it. In my case the window in front of the brake light had water stains. I reached up through the trunk to clean that portion of the window.
I also did this. I think it requires you to break the clips holding the rear seat side bolsters in.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also did this. I think it requires you to break the clips holding the rear seat side bolsters in.
Can you give some more detail on that? Like the OP, I have a water stain driving me mad from when the car was tinted but I don't want to break anything :)

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you give some more detail on that? Like the OP, I have a water stain driving me mad from when the car was tinted but I don't want to break anything :)
Number 16 in the image. I do not think there is anyway around breaking the clip(s). But, as @FF35 said, they still stay in place.
d25b6b9b-37ee-4680-980c-71d893c03e62-png.18354

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When the Tint Shop (Love them BTW) fixed my problem after I screwed up the back window, YES I did it, :(, They got some water drops behind the 3rd light and stains on the flat black piece of the 3rd light.

img_1709-jpg.18357
img_1708-jpg.18358

When I took RUBY in last week to the Service Center to replace the ROCKER SKIRTS damaged by Discount Tire, they were supposed to clean that for me.
They ended up doing it no charge since they got the wrong part for the right side rocker and will require a mobile appt (surprised by this) to fix at a later date.
But they forgot to do the lower portion on the black of the 3rd light. DOH!
They said mobile will also clean this for me. But I wasn't sure I could wait.
So, when I did get the car back from the SC, the left side trim (#2 above) was loose. So I pulled it free and one of the clips for #16 was broken on each side.

img_1710-jpg.18359

After getting the side trim #2 off and a plastic piece above it (#7 in the picture below), I was afraid I would break the clips that hold the trim that goes to back of the car (#6 below), so I just put it all back together and will wait for Mobile Service on 12/12 to do it.
But when I pressed #2 in place, it held firm with the rest of the clips.

rear-trim-png.18360

I will be calling TESLA to tell them to bring 2 new #16 clips with them

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When the Tint Shop (Love them BTW) fixed my problem after I screwed up the back window, YES I did it, :(, They got some water drops behind the 3rd light and stains on the flat black piece of the 3rd light.

View attachment 18357 View attachment 18358

When I took RUBY in last week to the Service Center to replace the ROCKER SKIRTS damaged by Discount Tire, they were supposed to clean that for me.
They ended up doing it no charge since they got the wrong part for the right side rocker and will require a mobile appt (surprised by this) to fix at a later date.
But they forgot to do the lower portion on the black of the 3rd light. DOH!
They said mobile will also clean this for me. But I wasn't sure I could wait.
So, when I did get the car back from the SC, the left side trim (#2 above) was loose. So I pulled it free and one of the clips for #16 was broken on each side.

View attachment 18359

After getting the side trim #2 off and a plastic piece above it (#7 in the picture below), I was afraid I would break the clips that hold the trim that goes to back of the car (#6 below), so I just put it all back together and will wait for Mobile Service on 12/12 to do it.
But when I pressed #2 in place, it held firm with the rest of the clips.

View attachment 18360

I will be calling TESLA to tell them to bring 2 new #16 clips with them
Well that’s it I’m motivated to get this water stain out of there! :)

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can anyone take a few pictures of this area of their vehicle and point out how to do this?

Have some water stains in there post tint and I need to get it out.
When Tesla cleaned did mine, they had to remove the C pillar trim and the packing shelf. mostly clips but turns out they were never fully seated and just today they fixed it as I had a rattle in the back. So if you take it out, make sure the clips get back in fully seated.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When Tesla cleaned did mine, they had to remove the C pillar trim and the packing shelf. mostly clips but turns out they were never fully seated and just today they fixed it as I had a rattle in the back. So if you take it out, make sure the clips get back in fully seated.
I did mine myself. I should have taken pictures then but I did not and I am not going to take it apart again, breaking the clips, to take photos.

ghsnick!

Country
Country
I did mine myself. I should have taken pictures then but I did not and I am not going to take it apart again, breaking the clips, to take photos.
You don’t have to take it apart again.

So do I fold the back seats down? Pop out the side pieces on each side of the seats. Then slide that back piece behind the seats forward?

Is that it?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You don’t have to take it apart again.

So do I fold the back seats down? Pop out the side pieces on each side of the seats. Then slide that back piece behind the seats forward?

Is that it?
1) fold down the seats
2) take off the side pieces
3) remove trim around the little triangle windows
4) you may be able to get the shelf cover slid forward now

Does that help?

ghsnick!

Country
Country
1) fold down the seats
2) take off the side pieces
3) remove trim around the little triangle windows
4) you may be able to get the shelf cover slid forward now

Does that help?
In step 4, do you mean slide the area behind the back seats towards the front of the vehicle (so I can tech back there). Going to try this tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I have a service appointment this weekend, so part of me wants to do it now and ask them to replace the broken clips...but would it be better to ask them to do it?

In an unrelated note, I had my tint done (4 side windows and back window) and I found one clip on the front passenger floor.

I told the guy it came out and asked if the could put it back. He seemed unsure of where it came from, but after a few minutes assured me they put it back. I think they threw it away...the job was already done and he went back with my vehicle for a few minutes tops. The clip looked like the picture attached, but it wasn’t blue, it was white.

Do you have any idea where his came from? And could it cause problems down the road? Wondering if I should let the service center know or just let it go.

Thanks again!

Attachments

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In step 4, do you mean slide the area behind the back seats towards the front of the vehicle (so I can tech back there). Going to try this tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I have a service appointment this weekend, so part of me wants to do it now and ask them to replace the broken clips...but would it be better to ask them to do it?

In an unrelated note, I had my tint done (4 side windows and back window) and I found one clip on the front passenger floor.

I told the guy it came out and asked if the could put it back. He seemed unsure of where it came from, but after a few minutes assured me they put it back. I think they threw it away...the job was already done and he went back with my vehicle for a few minutes tops. The clip looked like the picture attached, but it wasn’t blue, it was white.

Do you have any idea where his came from? And could it cause problems down the road? Wondering if I should let the service center know or just let it go.

Thanks again!
Yes, that’s what I mean.

Sorry, I don’t have an idea where that clip came from. Don’t know what they would take apart for the window tint.

ghsnick!

Country
Country
Yes, that’s what I mean.

Sorry, I don’t have an idea where that clip came from. Don’t know what they would take apart for the window tint.
I think thy said the “rear C pillar” when doing the back window? But I assume it could have maybe been the inside of the door too if they popped that off?

Regardless, it had to be from the inside of one of the doors or the pillar, could one single clip missing from my vehicle cause any legit issues? I’ve driven it for a few days and don’t hear and noises coming from anywhere, which was my only guess for what could have happened.

Should I ask service to look around or is it probably nothing and I should just stop worrying about it? Just don’t want it to cause any legit issues.