Water sloshing in the trunk lid

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

neps

Country
Country
anyone have this issue? It’s been raining for days and today is the first dry one. Opened up the trunk to put something in and I heard water sloshing around in the trunk. Can’t see how to get it out but some is dripping out on repeat open and closing.

Gonna call Tesla but thought I’d mention it here to see if someone had a similar issue

Thx

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
anyone have this issue? It’s been raining for days and today is the first dry one. Opened up the trunk to put something in and I heard water sloshing around in the trunk. Can’t see how to get it out but some is dripping out on repeat open and closing.

Gonna call Tesla but thought I’d mention it here to see if someone had a similar issue

Thx
Did you check in the bottom cubby where the UMC bag is stored? I put this video together after seeing reports that people went to take delivery only to find drenched trunks. Root cause was generally that the trunk was accidentally left open and the rubber seal doesn't block water unless the trunk is fully closed.

neps

Country
Country
Thanks @SoFlaModel3 I did see your video but this looks to be from the trunk not being closed all the way and didn’t result in water in the lid?

When I just lifted the lid right now I hear water moving in it from the farthest part away from the hinges to right by the hinges and leaks a little bit out.

Is this different?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks @SoFlaModel3 I did see your video but this looks to be from the trunk not being closed all the way and didn’t result in water in the lid?

When I just lifted the lid right now I hear water moving in it from the farthest part away from the hinges to right by the hinges and leaks a little bit out.

Is this different?
Oh I’m sorry I misunderstood. That’s definitely different from anything I have seen and heard.

neps

Country
Country
Took a video this morning and you can clearly hear the water. Will let you know if Tesla tells me anything. Looks like I can probably get it to come out if I leave it open awhile but would be good to stop this from reoccurring

Attachments

neps

Country
Country
just following up - spoke with my local service center and they asked me to bring it in. Got an appointment scheduled for Oct 8, they weren't clear on the exact issue but agreed it needed to be checked.

neps

Country
Country
To close the thread here.. just got my M3 back from a day in the Tesla Service Center. At checkin they thought it might be a gap between the trunk and the tail lights, and that's exactly what they replaced...

The replaced a few things in the trunk at no cost:

upload_2018-10-9_18-34-2-png.15805

Will reply again if this reoccurs.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Noticed the same on my Model 3 also occasional water draining in the passenger foot-well when accelerating after sitting in heavy rain. Will bring it in for these items.

Ct200h

Country
Country
I know from work at our store water leaks are bad news. Water leaks on hybrids or EVs .....
Really bad . Hope Tesla is feeding back these issues to engineers at the factory for updates and changes on t(e line/parts to eliminate .
Hoping the 3 is reliable when new and long term.
Tesla needs to make quality and reliability top priority to protect the brand.

ayeshash

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No idea how this site works but reposting my question......

Hi - I went to pick up my model 3 yesterday and discovered the trunk was full of water. The Tesla team is working on drying up the car etc. My question is does the water cause damage to the car? Tesla team is saying that the battery and wiring etc. is safe due to the rubber lining in the trunk. I am a bit skeptical about this. Should I wait for a new car or trust them and pick up the same car? I am not sure for how long the water sat in the trunk. Thanks.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
No idea how this site works but reposting my question......

Hi - I went to pick up my model 3 yesterday and discovered the trunk was full of water. The Tesla team is working on drying up the car etc. My question is does the water cause damage to the car? Tesla team is saying that the battery and wiring etc. is safe due to the rubber lining in the trunk. I am a bit skeptical about this. Should I wait for a new car or trust them and pick up the same car? I am not sure for how long the water sat in the trunk. Thanks.
Yes, constant water infiltration causes damage to a car.

In the short term, one deals with the growth of mould and mildew and the baggage that that carries.

In the long term, the high moisture environment will accelerate the corrosion of (beginning with the least "noble") ferrous materials.

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this with my model S. Not sure why. would have to unscrew those 2 rubber plugs and drain it. Its not occurred with the model 3

h0mersimps0n

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did 2 hours of driving in torrential rains over the weekend. I got home and went to unload the rear trunk and when I lifted the lid water was sloshing INSIDE the lid itself! A lot of water too.

I couldn't figure out how the water got in or how it got out, next morning I went out to try and figure it out more but the water had clearly drained out.

I failed to check my bottom well to see if it had drained into the trunk or outside the trunk.

Anyone else experience water collecting INSIDE the read trunk lid?

Inversus

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just wanted to chime in as I've had this issue since delivery. Here's my experience so far:
  • 11/08/18 - Took delivery at night. Then rained for a couple days. Heard water INSIDE trunk lid.
  • 12/03/18 - Service Center appt for Due Bill. Addressed a few things, but not the trunk. Reported Mobile Delivery would check and repair as needed.
  • 12/09/18 - Heard water again INSIDE trunk lid. Not fluid in lights noted.
  • 12/12/18 - Mobile Service came out, removed plastic cover, got in trunk, had me hose down car to recreate leak. Unable to reproduce. No fix.
  • 12/21/18 - Water AGAIN inside trunk lid.
  • 12/28/18 - Schedule service at a different service center to basically do everything not completed by Mobile Service (just made things worse, unfortunately).
  • 12/29/18 - Picked car up. Obvious paint defects on edge of trunk lid where they attempted to seal holes.
  • 01/02-01/04 - Persistent water in trunk lid. Despite attempted seals. Scheduled another appointment for 01/07/19.
I love Tesla, but man this is really taking the jelly out of my donut.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just experienced the water sloshing in the trunk lid too. Didn't even know it was a 'thing'. I drove for about 30 minutes in light rain and wet snow on Friday. On Saturday I opened the trunk lid and heard the sloshing. I was able to get some water out by prying back the black plastic cover inside the trunk lid to make a gap and let water out. I didn't end up with any water inside the trunk, but I suppose it is possible -- leaking water from the lid pooled in the trunk sill and the trunk latch area which could conceivably flow over into the trunk well.

Defjukie

Country
Country
Just wanted to chime in as I've had this issue since delivery. Here's my experience so far:
  • 11/08/18 - Took delivery at night. Then rained for a couple days. Heard water INSIDE trunk lid.
  • 12/03/18 - Service Center appt for Due Bill. Addressed a few things, but not the trunk. Reported Mobile Delivery would check and repair as needed.
  • 12/09/18 - Heard water again INSIDE trunk lid. Not fluid in lights noted.
  • 12/12/18 - Mobile Service came out, removed plastic cover, got in trunk, had me hose down car to recreate leak. Unable to reproduce. No fix.
  • 12/21/18 - Water AGAIN inside trunk lid.
  • 12/28/18 - Schedule service at a different service center to basically do everything not completed by Mobile Service (just made things worse, unfortunately).
  • 12/29/18 - Picked car up. Obvious paint defects on edge of trunk lid where they attempted to seal holes.
  • 01/02-01/04 - Persistent water in trunk lid. Despite attempted seals. Scheduled another appointment for 01/07/19.
I love Tesla, but man this is really taking the jelly out of my donut.
Thanks for the update. I have this issue too, and will definitely be calling them to have a look.