Water in Trunk After Delivery

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Opened trunk after delivery and found a water logged charger and soaked liner. 2" of water in floor pan. Anyone else have this issue? Check you cars before you leave delivery center! I made that mistake I guess.

Attachments

blue thunder

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Opened trunk after delivery and found a water logged charger and soaked liner. 2" of water in floor pan. Anyone else have this issue? Check you cars before you leave delivery center! I made that mistake I guess.
damn that sucks, sorry to hear that. Did you call them? What's next? So lesson here is to open trunk and frunk....

Petra

Country
Country
If this were a German car, I'd congratulate you on your u-boat purchase.

Perhaps the QA folks forgot to check the trunk after the water test?

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I suspect a leak in the trunk seal or something. It's a terrible thing to find when you just get your new car.

A good thing is that that you just showed that the Model 3 doesn't have the same design defect that early Model S cars had. When someone had a cooler in the back of early Model S cars and the cooler leaked, the water would short the battery. Your 2 inches of water in the trunk clearly shows that this is not a problem (although I would have thought there would be a drain or something)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same exact issue. I just picked mine up yesterday After closer examination and research it’s a combination of bad trunk design and human error and not being trained on handling the vehicles. The trunks are knowingly hard to close. All the ones in the show room and mine included the trunks are very hard to close and almost close lots of the time but not all the way. And there are videos online showing how water beads on the rear glass and slides down right into the trunk when the trunk is open in the rain. The water skips right over the lip at the end of the glass missing the drainage gutters and goes right into the trunk. Couple that with the trunk being cracked on transport and you get lots of water in the trunk. They are also replacing my liner. It was odd the trunk was dry but the deep lower pocket was very wet. I hope nothing has gotten water damaged. I found this out before delivery, the pre inspection caught it. They were very nice and are replacing the liner. But obviously somewhere in the line people arnt trained well enough on handling these cars and are not closing the trunks properly. Hope I could help. I’m sure this is going to be a common issue on delivery depending of weather conditions.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I had the same exact issue. I just picked mine up yesterday After closer examination and research it’s a combination of bad trunk design and human error and not being trained on handling the vehicles. The trunks are knowingly hard to close. All the ones in the show room and mine included the trunks are very hard to close and almost close lots of the time but not all the way. And there are videos online showing how water beads on the rear glass and slides down right into the trunk when the trunk is open in the rain. The water skips right over the lip at the end of the glass missing the drainage gutters and goes right into the trunk. Couple that with the trunk being cracked on transport and you get lots of water in the trunk. They are also replacing my liner. It was odd the trunk was dry but the deep lower pocket was very wet. I hope nothing has gotten water damaged. I found this out before delivery, the pre inspection caught it. They were very nice and are replacing the liner. But obviously somewhere in the line people arnt trained well enough on handling these cars and are not closing the trunks properly. Hope I could help. I’m sure this is going to be a common issue on delivery depending of weather conditions.
I think your explanation is plausible. Someone during transport opens the trunk and doesn’t close it securely then the car gets loaded on a truck and the rain ends up in the trunk. Hopefully the seals get a redesign to block water from the rear glass.

I’ve already included frunk/trunk water inspection on the abbreviated delivery checklist I updated earlier this week.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And there are videos online showing how water beads on the rear glass and slides down right into the trunk when the trunk is open in the rain
but the OP had something like 2 gallons of water sitting in the lower trunk. that is not an ajar trunk lid sitting in the rain

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They leak tested and couldn't find any water coming in trunk. They are replacing liner and damaged charger. The source may have been from the transit to delivery center but they are not sure. Customer service was excellent and they worked very hard to make it right.
This actually gives me some piece of mind. As much as it sucks for someone else to go through this I am reassured that I won't have any more water problems in the future. I susosuspe this was the issue and brought up several times to service rep. Just need to keep trunk closed in the future to prevent another occurance :) thanks for posting and enjoy the new car!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just picked up our Model 3. Our trunk liner (in the deep cubby area) was fully soaked and you can feel water gushing around underneath. They were pressure washing the cars before delivery so guessing the trunk may not have been fully closed and/or there’s a problem with the seal. Disappointing but glad I checked before we left the delivery event.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Just picked up our Model 3. Our trunk liner (in the deep cubby area) was fully soaked and you can feel water gushing around underneath. They were pressure washing the cars before delivery so guessing the trunk may not have been fully closed and/or there’s a problem with the seal. Disappointing but glad I checked before we left the delivery event.
Seems like a not uncommon issue. I’m glad I put it in the abbreviated delivery checklist.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just finding this thread. Wow.
It appears this is now a fairly common issue and Tesla is now checking all cars before delivery.
My delivery was schedule for this morning, everything was ready to go and perfect, and yesterday afternoon I get the terrifying call that "there is a problem" and eventually they explained water was in the trunk and they had to replace the trunk liner.

For this they have to delay my delivery for 10 DAYS!! :mad::mad::mad:

Well I hope it will actually be taken care of faster than that.

So today I went there anyway to look for my car, terrified that damage was even worse. Service was very helpful and brought me to see my car! Truly making my day!

The GREAT news is I popped the trunk and it was perfectly dry! I think I saw a few signs of a few drops. So relieved the car seemed perfect.

As I was walking back, there was another 3 in the shop with its trunk liner on the floor!

So clearly this is a common issue, and Tesla is now on top of it. It remains to be seen if fixes will be permanent.

This is a problem I had in my MINI, and the rear battery bay in the trunk would fill to the top and slosh around! I had to buy a water gun just to try to suck it out, and after battling it a few years I gave up and drilled a hole! You can see the rust that can result if this is a longterm issue, but at least there isn't a big battery back there to worry about!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Disappointing to hear they are still having this issue. I am still waiting for them to send me floor or roof for lower truck section with no ETA. It went missing when they replaced liner. Let me know if your car comes back with that piece!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I just watched @SoFlaModel3 's video and its amazingly obvious now why so many cars are getting water in their trunks prior to deivery. Maybe as part of the inspection process or transportation but it's clear that the trunks aren't closed completely and water gets in easily. Maybe employees don't want to slam trunks on brand new cars but it's literally impossible to tell if the trunk is closed well.

Hopefully there will be a seal redesign to fix the leak and not sure if the struts need to be adjusted/clanged/etc to ease the closing.

Awesome vid! Keep it up!

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know one possibility: on our M3 road trip that ended last week, on a car carrier on I-5 was a load of M3s. The one on the top back position with its trunk wide open.

Tried to signal the driver of the carrier but to no avail. Whoever gets that one should be looking for missing stuff. ;-)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know one possibility: on our M3 road trip that ended last week, on a car carrier on I-5 was a load of M3s. The one on the top back position with its trunk wide open.

Tried to signal the driver of the carrier but to no avail. Whoever gets that one should be looking for missing stuff. ;-)
Ouch!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

What color? ;)