Water in charge port?

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I picked up my Model 3 from the tint shop today, one of the techs told me he had heard from several owners that there was an issue with water pooling inside the charge port after washing the car. I opened the charge port to inspect it and it certainly looked like it COULD be possible, due to the angle.

Has anyone heard of this being an issue? Seems like it could be fairly damning if you were to insert the charger with water pooled in the charge port.

Eric Deal

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ours appears to have the same problem (delivered 3/13). Perhaps Tesla doesn't think we get rain in Austin o_O

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ours appears to have the same problem (delivered 3/13). Perhaps Tesla doesn't think we get rain in Austin o_O
Seems like a pretty big oversight if true. I got the impression rain wasn't really an issue, but a vigorous wash was. I guess I'll just be careful and make sure to check the charge port and shove a paper towel or whatever down there to soak up any post-wash excess.

It must have drain in the bottom. Pour some clean water inside to verify.
Also possible dirt clogged the drain hole. Compressed air can should help.

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i haven't washed yet, but I did have some concerns after reading and knowing that the rains were coming. After a day of rain, i didn't see any pooling in the port. there was a few droplets but nothing of significance. Its a good thing to check though after a wash or some really wet weather.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
of course, if you zoom in on the photo you see the couple droplets get really really close to the actual electrical socket. Hence my concern.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
of course, if you zoom in on the photo you see the couple droplets get really really close to the actual electrical socket. Hence my concern.
This isn't really a problem. I've plugged in at a wall connector in the pouring rain and got some water on the connectors many times. As long as you don't pour water into the chargeport on purpose, or aim a high-pressure washer at it, it should be ok.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree thanks. On a different note, do you guys get water in your doors? Every time I get a wash or there is rain I get a lot of streaks every time I rolled down and up my window.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree thanks. On a different note, do you guys get water in your doors? Every time I get a wash or there is rain I get a lot of streaks every time I rolled down and up my window.
I'm a bit confused, are the streaks to which you refer on the door panels themselves? Or on the windows when you roll them up/down after rain or a wash?

I get water streaks on the inside of the door sills, though it never gets into the interior of the car. I think it's pretty normal, our other car has it too. It's just the water sliding down between the panels.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a bit confused, are the streaks to which you refer on the door panels themselves? Or on the windows when you roll them up/down after rain or a wash?

I get water streaks on the inside of the door sills, though it never gets into the interior of the car. I think it's pretty normal, our other car has it too. It's just the water sliding down between the panels.
right, it does not get into the interior of the car. Just between the panels - I never paid attention to it in my previous car.

Have to be mindful after every car wash not to lower the windows until the water dries, otherwise, you can get streaks from residual water.